VOGONS

Reply 21 of 37, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had an old Gateway machine with dual Socket 370s, it had a terminator for the second socket if you didn't install another processor. That board was terrible.

I currently have an M668 Stallion dual slot 1 board, which I definitely like more. AGP, PCI, and ISA slots, onboard ultra wide SCSI, full card of ports, supports dual floppy drives. It may only be a Pentium II board but I do rather like it.

Reply 22 of 37, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm an equal opportunity hoarder 😀, so in my case both, tho like a few here I'm a bit of a dual processor junkie - between slot 1 / skt 370 I have about 20 boards currently running in favor of skt 370 at about 2:1. Preference would be for slot 1, tho I find them harder to source at a sensible price. Not much of a gamer so AGP is nice but not a deal-breaker for me.

Reply 23 of 37, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
weedeewee wrote on 2021-06-06, 13:43:

PCI-X to PCIe x4 or PCI-X to AGP x? adapters.

I think user sdz has designed those.

The PCI to AGP adapters are only going to work with older cards though that really only use the PCI part of AGP.

No idea about PCI-X to PCIe though.

I have a dual s370 board running dual P3S-1400 CPUs it has an ISA slot but no AGP. Current video card is a PCI Quadro FX 600.

I have an ASUS P2B-DS that this thread makes me want to put a couple of P3S-1400 in as it has AGP/PCI/ISA. The newest BIOS supports Tualatins and I even found a guide on modding it to make it work better.

Just need to see if I have any slotkets that support Tualatins. If not, I can always order those adapters that are sold on eBay for $10 each + shipping.

Also have a SuperMicro dual Slot-1 board but it was DOA when I got it and I haven't taken the time to really mess with it at all to see if I can fix it.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2021-06-07, 22:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 24 of 37, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That’s a Windows 2000 Pro build.
You will need all supported hardware and drivers for Windows 2000
And software and games.

I would assume the 370 is faster and newer and more efficient and uses less electricity.
The dual slot-1 is more nostalgic but slower.

This is NOT really a DOS/Win3x/Win95/98/ME computer.
They do NOT support or benefit from dual CPU’s.
And these motherboards and CPU’s are too fast to play most DOS games.

If you want a fast computer to down clock for playing old DOS games
Then think about an AMD Duron 600 or AMD K6.
These can easily be downclocked in bios and with Setmul utility.
And support DOS/Win3x/Win95/98/ME

Reply 26 of 37, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Slot 1 gets my vote in Win98/2000 dual boot setup.

Win2k for majority of 9x gaming.
Win98 for the few games that don't work in 2k and allows you to play dos games using an ISA sound card. 2nd CPU won't be active but it wont hurt anything either.
That's a lot of retro gaming years covered.
of course no game is really going to take advantage of that 2nd CPU, Even Quale 3 which has supports SMP, but that's not the point is it!

Lack of AGP does hurt the Socket 370, You have faster CPU options but less video. but it can be fun working around these limitations sometimes like getting a PCI GeForce FX or 6 card.
You'll never reach optimal performance but as long as it does whet you need it to do

Reply 29 of 37, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With CUR-DLS you can go Voodoo2 SLI and some Radeon 7500 or Geforce 2 PCI version 😀

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 31 of 37, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Paadam wrote on 2021-06-10, 08:30:

With CUR-DLS you can go Voodoo2 SLI and some Radeon 7500 or Geforce 2 PCI version 😀

Expanding on this idea: The manual and the chipset datasheet mention the 64bit PCI slots are supposedly 66MHz capable. Still they're 5V keyed (and usually 66MHz PCI is 3.3V signalling only).
Supposedly Voodoo2 cards are 66MHz PCI capable. I don't believe I have ever seen a build (or benchmarks) with V2 (SLI) on a 66MHz bus because usually the slots are keyed for 3.3V and the cards are keyed for 5V.

Does anybody have the ASUS CUR-DLS so they could verify wether the slots will work at 66MHz and then check wether V2(SLI) on a 66MHz bus is possible?

Reply 32 of 37, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have CUR-DLS but not sure when I have time to put together a rig and test (I have several V2's too, including two SLI's), just not enough time. CUR-DLS onboard RageXL is useless as I remember from few years back when I got the board 😁

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 33 of 37, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-06-10, 08:49:
Errius wrote on 2021-06-10, 08:20:

I think the 440GX was only used for Xeon systems?

PII / PIII as well

Yes my SUPER P6DGS is 440GX and runs PIIs or PIIIs

Reply 34 of 37, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Paadam wrote on 2021-06-10, 09:03:

I have CUR-DLS but not sure when I have time to put together a rig and test (I have several V2's too, including two SLI's), just not enough time. CUR-DLS onboard RageXL is useless as I remember from few years back when I got the board 😁

Time! We probably all know this issue!
If you ever find the time please post your results. 😃
I really don't think this has been documented before.

Reply 35 of 37, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Grem Five wrote on 2021-06-11, 21:56:

Yes my SUPER P6DGS is 440GX and runs PIIs or PIIIs

Have a couple of boards myself - an intel L440GX+ (upto 600MHz Katmai) and an SM P6DGU (upto 1GHz Coppermine 100 / 133 fsb)

Doornkaat wrote on 2021-06-12, 06:44:
Time! We probably all know this issue! If you ever find the time please post your results. 😃 I really don't think this has been […]
Show full quote
Paadam wrote on 2021-06-10, 09:03:

Time! We probably all know this issue!
If you ever find the time please post your results. 😃
I really don't think this has been documented before.

I've got plenty of time and a CUR-DLS...but no V2's - anyone want to front me a pair 😀 😀

Reply 36 of 37, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote on 2021-06-10, 08:20:

I think the 440GX was only used for Xeon systems?

No, it was used for PII/P!!! as well as the 440GX supports 2GB rather than 1GB of memory