VOGONS

First post, by mt777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone has exact this card?
http://old.vgamuseum.info/images/stories/palc … ti/18800-1b.jpg

There are 3 revisions (probably only bios differents, HW is the same): Edge (1.00), VGA88 (1.03) and Wonder (1.0?). Would like to have dump of the last.
Sticker on bios chip is damaged in this critical part and am very curious about version...

Reply 1 of 7, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I *think* the VGA88 is an OEM version. The Edge should be a cost reduced version, and the VGA Wonder should be the full retail version.
But ATi product lines were such a mess, so who really knows.
About 10 years or 15 years back I really put some time into trying to figure this one out, but these cards and information related to them are relatively uncommon so I didn't get too far.

I got the impression that although it was meant to have a retail version, pretty much all the cards sold as VGA Edge.
You can't trust what's on the silkscreen, because ATi used the same PCB across multiple products.
The sticker on the BIOS is *usually* a better indicator of what the card actually is.

If you figure stuff out, please document it somewhere.

The Edge-16 is also a pretty interesting card. Somehow it got its own PCB with only eight memory sockets, yet it's incredibly rare so you have to Wonder why ATi even put in the effort. It's pretty similar to the VGA640 which appears to be functionally the same but with 8-sockets removed and a sticker pasted over the solder pads.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 7, by mt777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

VGA WONDER has text at left top corner and black IC instead golden next to logic LS339. VGA88 and EDGE don't have it so I suppose that it is the first&second version and with Wonder text is the last.
I programmed bios from 88 and works fine, it is indeed much newer release.
About *cost reduced* this phrase is repeated everywhere but I really don't see HW difference except that.
Can't find other photo of this card (with VGA Wonder text) to check bios sticker 😀

Reply 4 of 7, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

We only have a few sample images on file, and very little documentation about the release and development of the 8-bit version of the card.
The gold IC you mentioned, isn't that from a photo of an engineering sample? I believe all of the cards I have seen for sale have "VGA Wonder" in silkscreen on the PCB, but Edge-8 on the BIOS chip. The card in the link above has the sticker torn off, so it could very well have been a VGA edge or a VGA88.

My theory is that both the 256kb and 512kb versions of the VGA Wonder were originally going to have 8-bit interfaces, but in order to stay competitive ATi moved the 512kb version to a 16-bit interface, and decided to rename the 8-bit version of "VGA Edge". I will stand by this theory until somebody can show me otherwise, be it a retail box, an old advertisement or some other official literature.

*edit*

It's interesting that this photo of a VGA 88 doesn't have "VGA Wonder in the silkscreen", yet the EGA Wonder 800 + does (covered with a sticker). They're so inconsistent.

driver-update-ati-vga.jpg

Reply 5 of 7, by mt777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Golden IC is common with 88 and Edge. Edge is 1.00 from 89yr, 88 is dated 90yr.
Only would like to see sticker in black version (and if another then dump)...

Attachments

• 20210606_151952.jpg
    Filename
    20210606_151952.jpg
    File size
    1.45 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 7, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is the gold topped RAMDAC functionally inferior in any way? (usually the differences between these cards were very minor)

Do you know the logic behind the 'VGA 88' name? I always assumed it's because it came out in 1988.

Reply 7 of 7, by mt777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

VGA88 has bios from 90, so no and don't know why. Parts production date code are also mismatched.
VGA Wonder silkscreen bios sticker has different layout so believe that content may be also different.

Didn't compare this gold chip