VOGONS

rails

Topic actions

First post, by scroeffie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i have this case but no rails ,any one knows where i can buy them or tips to make them

Attachments

Reply 2 of 9, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, AT-Rails. You could 3-D print them. Or do what I do...if you're handy with metal stuff. I did this on an old Compaq Deskpro 386 and my GEM 386 that had the same style of drive rails....you need the right tools for it though. Tap and Die, Stepped Drill Bit, Dremel, and a Hacksaw, and a C Clamp or Vice (not to mention a solid place to work).

I usually buy a long piece of aluminum stock from a hardware store and make multiple rails from it. I try to get it as close to the thickness and width of the rails possible so I don't need to do any modification.

Cut the segments to length of the rail being reproduced, then mill it to shape using the Dreamel - most AT rails like that have a notch at the front for rthe lock-down plate. Just trace around it to get those parts hashed out. I usually also sand with 800grit around the edges to keep them from being sharp.

Next thing I do is I use a magic marker and hold the old rail over it and try to mark where the holes are in the rail, then mill those out, or only the holes needed for the device to be attached by attaching it to a device and running a line through that section. Then I center punch where the drill holes go, and drill through. THen I use a countersink bit to countersink the holes so the screws are flush, and then you have a drive rail.

In the case of rails like the Compaq Deskpro machines, you also need to drill two holes and tap/die those into place. That's pretty easy, once the rails are mounted to the drive, you can just slide it in, mark where the holes for screwing the rails on are, and then drill those, and then tap them for the apropriate computer screws - and be done with it.

An easier way might be with Wood and Wood Screws. harder woods like Maple moulding blanks work well. I've also used plastic for this. And of course 3D printing as said before is a valid option as well. Could probably find some already pre-rendered on Thingyverse and have them printed and shipped.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 4 of 9, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

3D print is easy for plastic rails, but for the pictured metallic ones it will be difficult.
Definitely had something like this in my sticky hands before , but not sure if its integrated somewhere now or just gathering dust in a box.
I will check my spares if there might be a matching pair an pm you.
Where are you located?
It may make a big difference for shipping from Germany.

Reply 5 of 9, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you're at the "I just wanna hold my %#$@ drives in!" stage rather than exact restoration stage, you can sometimes get double stacked popsicle sticks with countersunk screws to work.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 9, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have similar situation with my case that I was searching for years and finally found. Needs rails made. It is slide in and click in by flat metal springs type latches. Stamped metal, U channel with two pins on one side to key into drive and hold them together then slide in. Springs on the sides keep everything tight without rattling. Luckily case has sets of two types so all I need is to measure and make them.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 7 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those would be super easy to make with some aluminum bar stock for the rails themselves and then cut out a channel to use L-brackets for the bracket part.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 9, by scroeffie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i used 3m bolds with a bigger head all is oke now waiting for cf ide adapter 😀
everything is dishwasher clean

Attachments

Reply 9 of 9, by scroeffie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

some more picks ,its the motherboard from hell wil keep the sx cpu because the 66mhz when i install it it becomes very hot even with a fan
i think its a jumper problem ,but for now iam happy with 33/40mhz

Attachments