VOGONS

First post, by LittleRav3n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I can't seem to get my board to post just get a buzzing sound and the PSU seems to stop supplying power as the fans in the psu and on the cpu don't spin. if I disconnect the PSU from the board it works again.

seems to me it might be a setting somewhere but this is my first build and i'm not sure what it could be.

It's running a am486dx-100
and two sticks of single sided fpm 16mb simm ram

I've removed the battery waiting and reinserted. checked cpu alignment, checked jumpers as best i could. not sure what else to do?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 10, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your PSU refuses to start because there's a short in the board. Very likely at least one of the tantalum caps has failed short.

You will need a multimeter (and possibly desoldering the tantalums) to properly determine what is causing the short.

Reply 3 of 10, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can start by checking for continuity between the pins of the power connector: the 4 middle ones are GND, so if there is continuity between those and one or more of the outer pins then you have a short.

Make sure to remove CPU and other cards, do your testing on the bare motherboard without anything connected to it.

Reply 5 of 10, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What color is the wire from the PSU that connects to the pin that is shorted to ground? Red is +5V, yellow is +12V, white is -5V, blue is -12V and orange is PG.

Next, you can check for continuity between the two legs of each tantalum capacitor in the back of the board. I have marked the tantalums I can see in your picture:

tantalums.jpg
Filename
tantalums.jpg
File size
1.71 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

If any of those are shorted, you've probably found the problem (though you really need to pull them off to determine which tantalums need replacing since they may be connected in parallel).

Reply 6 of 10, by LittleRav3n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's blue, only one of them has continuity on both legs. I'm guessing that's the gremlin? It's the third one from the left directly under the power connector.

Can I just say I really appreciate your help.

Reply 7 of 10, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, that sounds about right, tantalums on the -12V line (blue wire) are usually the first ones to pop.

If you have a soldering iron, you can remove that shorted cap and try again, that cap should not be critical for the board to work. If that fixes the problem, then you can replace it with a new one.

A word of warning though: please check the PSU with a dummy load (such as a dead hard drive) before connecting it again to the board. The voltages on all the power rails should be within spec, especially -12V... I suspect that a voltage spike in the -12V line is what may have killed that tantalum. All of this is assuming that PSU is the one that came with the board.