VOGONS

Reply 20 of 30, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC@LIVE wrote on 2021-06-12, 22:45:
Hi, I've seen the pictures but from what I see I can't tell if it's a card that supports the Pentium MMX. The CPU appears to be […]
Show full quote

Hi, I've seen the pictures but from what I see I can't tell if it's a card that supports the Pentium MMX.
The CPU appears to be a 200MMX, excluding that it is not an original, the only reason it does not go to 200 is that maybe you set the jumpers wrong.
So I would say if you can put an image of the MB, in particular I would like to see the voltage regulators mosfet area, then CPU area, then I would like to see the multiplier and FSB jumpers.
This is to understand if this MB is set correctly for the MMX, the one you had before did not support it.
If this supports it there should be no problem getting it to go to the right frequency (200).

Attachments

• 3.jpeg
    Filename
    3.jpeg
    File size
    155.73 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • (2).jpeg
    Filename
    (2).jpeg
    File size
    195.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 3 (1).jpeg
    Filename
    3 (1).jpeg
    File size
    201.76 KiB
    Views
    File license

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 21 of 30, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2021-06-13, 00:02:

This information is for a slightly different Biostar VX board, but it sounds as though it would be relevant to this one, so have a look and see if your board is the same or similar enough: https://www.vobarian.com/8500tvx.html

I'm the kind of guy that does a dallas battery mod no problem or even mod an nesrgb on its own but i already lost 2 motherboards in the attempt to get an MMX working, i need to know how to precisely do this mod on my model of motherboard.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 22 of 30, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A ok then does not support the P.MMX or yes?
If it doesn't support it, you need to figure out how to make the mod to power it properly (add dual voltage).
The images I asked for were used to understand if it was a model born for normal Pentium, many i430VX can support MMX only if dual voltage is available, and from what I understand this card does not support it either.
I'll take a look at the link, but I doubt it's a simple thing to do (mod).

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB

Reply 23 of 30, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC@LIVE wrote on 2021-06-13, 19:04:
A ok then does not support the P.MMX or yes? If it doesn't support it, you need to figure out how to make the mod to power it pr […]
Show full quote

If it doesn't support it, you need to figure out how to make the mod to power it properly (add dual voltage).
The images I asked for were used to understand if it was a model born for normal Pentium, many i430VX can support MMX only if dual voltage is available, and from what I understand this card does not support it either.

It supports mmx perfectly, i already tested 5 games all of which give me the results of a pentium 166 mmx (like quake running at 42fps) the motherboard is compatible and set for mmx, check the first post.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 24 of 30, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
iraito wrote on 2021-06-13, 19:17:
A ok then does not support the P.MMX or yes? If it doesn't support it, you need to figure out how to make the mod to power it pr […]
Show full quote

It supports mmx perfectly, i already tested 5 games all of which give me the results of a pentium 166 mmx (like quake running at 42fps) the motherboard is compatible and set for mmx, check the first post.

Ok that works, but you have to understand how?
From what I understand does it work on single voltage (overvolt), or do you have the correct voltage?
To check it is simple, you can use a tester, black probe inserted in the power supply connector for HD CD-ROM in correspondence with the black wire, set to measure the Volt DC (up to 20V), measure the voltage on the said of the mosfet, one of the three (or two?) measures about 3.3V, the other should measure about 2.8V, if you don't find this voltage the cpu is overvolted, and this could create problems.
If you can make these measurements, then you will have to make attempts at various frequencies to understand if the problem is in the CPU or in the MB, of course you could do them even now but I would like to understand if the CPU has the correct voltage, and if the problem of functioning at 200MHz is due to the overvolt.

Reply 25 of 30, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This site lists 3 different versions of this motherboard (version 1, 2, 2.1) and they have .txt files for the jumper settings for each. The version # should be somewhere on the motherboard, so make sure of which you have and double check the jumper settings. https://pcrebuilding.altervista.org/52/6/TOTA … 5%2C7+AP-C.html

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 26 of 30, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2021-06-13, 19:53:

This site lists 3 different versions of this motherboard (version 1, 2, 2.1) and they have .txt files for the jumper settings for each. The version # should be somewhere on the motherboard, so make sure of which you have and double check the jumper settings. https://pcrebuilding.altervista.org/52/6/TOTA … 5%2C7+AP-C.html

I have a 2.1 and i just noticed 1 thing, jp1 and jp2 seems to act as if they are always both closed, which would explain the constant 166.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 27 of 30, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC@LIVE wrote on 2021-06-13, 19:37:
Ok that works, but you have to understand how? From what I understand does it work on single voltage (overvolt), or do you have […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

From what I understand does it work on single voltage (overvolt), or do you have the correct voltage?
To check it is simple, you can use a tester, black probe inserted in the power supply connector for HD CD-ROM in correspondence with the black wire, set to measure the Volt DC (up to 20V), measure the voltage on the said of the mosfet, one of the three (or two?) measures about 3.3V, the other should measure about 2.8V, if you don't find this voltage the cpu is overvolted, and this could create problems.
If you can make these measurements, then you will have to make attempts at various frequencies to understand if the problem is in the CPU or in the MB, of course you could do them even now but I would like to understand if the CPU has the correct voltage, and if the problem of functioning at 200MHz is due to the overvolt.

It's working at 2.8 but i mean it's kind of obvious, the bios recognize the cpu as a P55C with MMX instructions and Speedsys is the same, i don't think the CPU would work as intended on an incompatible motherboard, in the past i killed a motherboard by doing just that.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 28 of 30, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
iraito wrote on 2021-06-14, 20:13:
PC@LIVE wrote on 2021-06-13, 19:37:
Ok that works, but you have to understand how? From what I understand does it work on single voltage (overvolt), or do you have […]
Show full quote

It's working at 2.8 but i mean it's kind of obvious, the bios recognize the cpu as a P55C with MMX instructions and Speedsys is the same, i don't think the CPU would work as intended on an incompatible motherboard, in the past i killed a motherboard by doing just that.

Yes, I understand that it works on that motherboard. But I was asking you to check if the CPU voltage was correct, because those CPUs still work if overvolted, indeed they often overvolt to increase frequency and obtain stability.
But to check if the voltage is right, don't rely on the BIOS (because it recognizes it), you should do the mosfet heatsink check, if you can't do that check you won't actually know if the voltage is correct.
You can search if you are unsure how to do this:
measuring vcore multimeter

Reply 29 of 30, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This information is for a slightly different Biostar VX board, but it sounds as though it would be relevant to this one, so have a look and see if your board is the same or similar enough: https://www.vobarian.com/8500tvx.html

Well, this solved my issues, it was the multiplier, now it runs at 200 with no issues whatsoever.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 30 of 30, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
iraito wrote on 2021-06-16, 15:20:

Well, this solved my issues, it was the multiplier, now it runs at 200 with no issues whatsoever.

Cool.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey