VOGONS

First post, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Original Post: Topic 81815

Update adding in some upgrades: https://imgur.com/gallery/9K7lHxw

I was surprised to find an old rig like this in a Flea Market and it costed me £2. I took it home took a look inside, needs a clean. My plan to sell this on as i already have a Socket 370 rig. Specs are as follows.

Acer case which needed a wash, also sanded off some rust.

Pentium 3 933Mhz repasted with MX4

128 MB, will slot in a 512mb and another 128MB that i have laying around.

Some weird old harddrive connected to what i think is an SCSI Card. This is my, first time seeing something like this. I plan on upgrading this HDD likely is a 4 to a 8gb drive, to a 120gb along with an 80 Wire IDE Cable.

OS Most likely has Windows 98 will upgrade to 98SE.

PSU is dead, so i will put this EVGA 80Plus Bronze PSU in.

ATI Rage XL entry level card, unfortunately seems like it’s dead. Will replace it with a Geforce FX 5200 once the replacement fan arrives, also repasted the gpu with Arctic MX4. If your looking for a replacement fan, there are plenty of replacement fans available on Ali Express. This is the one i ordered:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vKU45V

I will also solder in an ISA port and see if i can get it to work with my AWE64 Card. I plan on getting the Orpheus card. So the AWE64 would be of no use to me. Hopefully it works. As it didn’t work in my main dual socket build. But i have an Underpowered PSU. Unable to truly test it.

Attachments

Last edited by iVirtualZero on 2022-05-20, 17:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 1, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A nice looking case. I always found doors that hid the drives annoying but gave a kind of "premium" feel.
SCSI is fun to play with but no real point to actually use in this day and age with SSD, CF cards and the like.

Looks like your just about set for a good 9x build.
For Windows I'd recommend a SBLive! or greater to give you EAX. You could still use the Orpheus (are AWE if that goes well) for dos side of things.