VOGONS

First post, by DraxDomax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To get the ball rolling, I got some Voodoo2 cards.
I am also lurking on a similar (but not my dream) machine that is complete and working - to test components, as I collect the exact ones that I want!

The idea here is that, circa 1996 I got my first computer and, sure, I told my parents I want the Packard Bell with the MMX200, etc... And, nah, they didn't get me that and I was sad for a long time...
Also, when I heard about SLI - that was pretty cool 😀

I actually like the challenge of making something like this work. I did absolutely everything imaginable to my first computer (P133) but I struggle with some things I don't remember (I was very
young) and also the state of the market for parts that have not been in shops for +20 years now.

BTW: The actual games that it can run don't matter. I guess I'll build another one, if some of the games I want don't work well 😉

Questions:
1) I have a feeling the hardest part would be the motherboard. I almost got a "SHUTTLE HOT-591P V3.1 MVP3 SUPER7" but then I read it actually doesn't fit Voodoo2 cards because of the CPU.
What motherboard would you recommend? Something to somehow make use of the MMX233 and 2xVoodoo2 SLI.
2) Would a system like this be AT or ATX?
3) How much Wattage should I be looking for in the PSU?
4) Are dual-CPU boards too rare or not suitable for win95 gaming, or SLI? If so, would love a recommendation
5) Since cases are not easy to find, could I get a P3 Packard Bell case for this set up or will it no longer support that motherboard?

Any links to actual items for sale would also be appreciated.

PS: Funny how I come up with this idea and LGR posts his video just a couple of days later - he might have bought something I would have!

Reply 1 of 20, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not well versed in motherboards. Just get a Socket 7 motherboard that has enough PCI slots for what you're trying to do.

This would work well as an AT system. You can get ATX Socket 7 boards but they are from later years.

Any PSU should do. 300, 400 watts? I dunno, they don't use that much power.

Windows 95 does not have multiple CPU support. It will use only the first CPU. You need an NT-based OS (NT4 or 2000) for that.

A Pentium III case would be ATX, and would not fit an AT motherboard.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 2 of 20, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First off, welcome to VOGONS 😀

You actually crossed off the hardest thing on your parts list already, getting the Voodoo2's.

You're right about the CPU, 200MMX isn't very well suited for Voodoo2 in SLI. It'll work ofc, but you won't get the full potential out of them. I used to have that setup in my Compaq Presario (P200 MMX), but it was mostly just for bragging rights and I bought those Voodoo2's back in 2005 when they were 5 euro a piece.

If I were you I'd get a slot 1 board and put in a Pentium II/III or Celeron at 400mhz+. They are much easier to get and still reasonably priced, same goes for the CPUs.

ATX board is highly recommended. Getting an AT case is hard nowadays, and you don't get issues with missing PS/2 mouse port that requires a bracket, the need for AT to ATX PSU adapter and longer PCI cards being blocked. Also cable mangement is easier in ATX cases.

PSU's back then were between 200-300w. A modern 400-500w PSU is more than enough and very quiet.

Last edited by vetz on 2021-06-15, 17:27. Edited 1 time in total.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 3 of 20, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That board will not take Voodoo's as it only takes short PCI cards. As it's Super Socket 7 it's also probably expensive as people want it for AMD builds. I would get something Intel 430 based (I'm not well versed in the differences between 430TX/VX/HX). Make sure it actually supports MMX CPUs. As the poster above me states, though, a P2/P3 would be better, and in that case might just as well got for a P3.

OEM cases often use strange form factors, not sure about Packard Bell cases specifically, but even if you get an ATX board it might not fit.

Reply 4 of 20, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Vetz is right, Pentium II or III would be better suited for Voodoo 2 in SLI. An early Pentium II would be period correct and very cool, and yes that puts you in ATX territory.

A word of warning, 430TX can only cache up to 64 MB of RAM. But if you are going the Slot 1 route, 440BX is the way to go.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 6 of 20, by DraxDomax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks for the support and advice so far, guys. I have a feeling I better build those systems, ASAP 😀

Well, the reason I wanted to take it back to MMX is because I am secretly planning a Voodoo 5500 build and it'll be a shame if they are too close...
Although, yeah, I get that Voodoo2 SLI is still too new for MMX...
But you weren't me, there, looking at the brochure, no idea what MMX actually means (and that AMD are kinda better anyway) - so I MUST have an MMX CPU and, at the same time, I really feel like having SLI too.

Reply 7 of 20, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DraxDomax wrote on 2021-06-15, 19:26:

But you weren't me, there, looking at the brochure, no idea what MMX actually means (and that AMD are kinda better anyway) - so I MUST have an MMX CPU and, at the same time, I really feel like having SLI too.

It's your build, go for it. I did the same thing, put SLI inside my Compaq even though it didn't make much sense except for my own satisfaction 😀

If you're going the MMX route, then I'd suggest going for an ATX Intel 430TX/VX/HX board. It will cost you less than a super socket 7 board and you can still get the benefits of ATX.

Reply 9 of 20, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DraxDomax wrote on 2021-06-15, 21:30:

I am still confused, though... I am looking at a XP55T2P4 and that's a 430HX... But it can accept K6-2... Isn't K6-2 a super-socket7?

The XP55T2P4 is an excellent board, can't go wrong with it. Yes it does accept the K6-2. SS7 is more associated for AGP support and 100mhz FSB option.

Reply 10 of 20, by DraxDomax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

so, it's Super-7 and 430HX?
If I understand correctly, one is the shape of how the CPU fits and the other is a standard of chips that come on the motherboard and there is some leeway there but you made it sound like 430HX and Super-7 are mutually exclusive! 😀

The nasty bit is that there there seem to be a lot of P55T2P4 (the AT version), in good condition, in good price... But there is only one XP55T2P4 I could find and seller says it's a bit fried... Sucks...

Another question: if I go with an old ATX motherboard, would that mobo fit on any ATX case? Like, even a new ATX case?
'Cause, if I can get away with buying some brand new decent thing with a brand new power supply, I'd leave my case-hunting on low heat!

Reply 11 of 20, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, the 430HX chipset does not support AGP nor does it support 100mhz FSB. It's not considered super socket 7 (like for instance the VIA MVP3 chipset is).

Yes, any old ATX board will fit into a modern ATX case and you can use a modern power supply.

Reply 12 of 20, by DraxDomax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, how does a K6-2 fit into 430hx boards? I thought AMD invented the Super-7 for the K6-2?
Do the K6-2 CPU's have some facility so that they can downgrade, if installed on a regular socket 7?

Hey, think about it this way: you pass history to me, I pass it to someone else.

As for the ATX tip - that's the best news I hear all day! I am going to buy a case right now!

Reply 13 of 20, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DraxDomax wrote on 2021-06-15, 21:54:

So, how does a K6-2 fit into 430hx boards? I thought AMD invented the Super-7 for the K6-2?
Do the K6-2 CPU's have some facility so that they can downgrade, if installed on a regular socket 7?

The CPU socket on "regular" socket 7 boards and "super socket 7" boards are the same. As long as the BIOS and voltage on the board supports the CPU it will work. Many Intel 430 boards can run AMD K6-3 even if the BIOS does not fully detect it correctly. The limitation is that FSB will normally be limited to 66mhz, meaning maximum CPU speed will be 6x66=400mhz.

Super socket 7 is more an unofficial designation to separate the boards produced for AMD's K6 with 100mhz FSB as this was missing on the earlier boards. They also implemented AGP support.

Last edited by vetz on 2021-06-15, 22:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 20, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DraxDomax wrote on 2021-06-15, 21:54:

As for the ATX tip - that's the best news I hear all day! I am going to buy a case right now!

I'd try to find a case that have 5 1/4" bays for optical drive and if you can find 3.5" bays for floppy drive it would be even better (some cases have the possibility to use 3.5" in 5 1/4" bays)

Reply 15 of 20, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Super socket 7 is the same physically as Socket 7, so the AMD K6-2 physically fits in all socket 7 systems (and probably socket 5 too)

You can run a K6-2 CPU in a normal Socket 7 board, as long as:

a) Bus speed is 66mhz.
b) Can set the voltage low enough to not fry the K6-2 CPU.
c) BIOS doesn't crash on trying to boot with a non Pentium CPU.

Super socket 7 refers specifically to AGP support and 100mhz FSB support, there is no physical change to the socket.

Reply 16 of 20, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joakim wrote on 2021-06-15, 18:20:

Get one of those slot 1 Pentium 2@300!

https://youtu.be/LhVzBj8A5WY

Because of.. awesome!

It was the most expensive when it was released... Pentium II went up to 450Mhz though.

I checked to see if I had one and I didn't... or at least not in my Slot-1 CPU stash.

Now I have these on the way:
2x Pentium II 300 (SL28R) - first stepping - just to make sure I got the originally super expensive ones... plus these were the cheapest I saw and came from the same Dell system according to the seller.
1x Pentium II 333 (SL2KA) - first stepping
1x Pentium II 333 (SL2S5) - second stepping
1x Pentium II 333 (SL2TV) - 3rd stepping . Supposedly the later 333 CPUs were downclocked 500Mhz CPUs. This is not the last SSPEC so not sure if this is one of those or not.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 17 of 20, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another angle you can go is simply get a Packard Bell with MMX as that's what you dreamed of.
A complete system can work out to be about the same price once you add the cost of the case + hardware, sometimes. Just do your costing first.

On the plus side AT based OEM systems were much quicker to move over to PS2 then generic parts
On the negative usually the case will only work with very select motherboards without modding.
Rest of the hardware was typically generic so OEM isn't a bad basis to build from.

Reply 18 of 20, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2021-06-16, 09:56:
Another angle you can go is simply get a Packard Bell with MMX as that's what you dreamed of. A complete system can work out to […]
Show full quote

Another angle you can go is simply get a Packard Bell with MMX as that's what you dreamed of.
A complete system can work out to be about the same price once you add the cost of the case + hardware, sometimes. Just do your costing first.

On the plus side AT based OEM systems were much quicker to move over to PS2 then generic parts
On the negative usually the case will only work with very select motherboards without modding.
Rest of the hardware was typically generic so OEM isn't a bad basis to build from.

I agree that buying a complete system is a good way to start out then build from that. Personally I have mixed feelings about OEM systems, I remember my old Packard Bell socket 1 PII @350 MHz fondly, but then again expansion would probably have been a hassle so what you buy is sometimes what you get. It's kind of silly to constantly feel the need for building the optimal PC with hardware that is 25 years old but most of us have that craving I guess. It is somehow hard to "let go" and instead go for a cool case or something. I guess it depends on what kind of build you are satisfied with and what is the end goal. Just have fun without breaking the bank is good goal in my opinion. 😀

Reply 19 of 20, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joakim wrote on 2021-06-16, 10:45:

I agree that buying a complete system is a good way to start out then build from that. Personally I have mixed feelings about OEM systems, I remember my old Packard Bell socket 1 PII @350 MHz fondly, but then again expansion would probably have been a hassle so what you buy is sometimes what you get. It's kind of silly to constantly feel the need for building the optimal PC with hardware that is 25 years old but most of us have that craving I guess. It is somehow hard to "let go" and instead go for a cool case or something. I guess it depends on what kind of build you are satisfied with and what is the end goal. Just have fun without breaking the bank is good goal in my opinion. 😀

At least you have mixed feelings, alot of people dismiss OEM right from the start, Then complain about lack of PS2, cases, and hardware incompatibilities (like OP's V2 not fitting in the MB)
It's fine keeps prices down for the rest of us 😀

As OP had fond memories of Packard Bell I'm guessing they are more open to the idea.
Personally out of my P3 and earlier machines majority are OEM as people still give them away for free if you keep your eyes open, guess the majority of custom builds were parted out years ago.