VOGONS

First post, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone,

Inbetween other stuff I've been doing I remembered to try and tackle an old problem plaguing three of my builds: fan noise.

I can't seem to grasp SpeenFan's logic to be able to fully control the fan speed / temperature ratio to tweak it as I want exactly, I can only apply "ON/OFF" options to all the pc's.

The most annoying one is my WinME Tualatin build that has an Athlon cooler on it, which is total overkill and always makes a point of making its best rendition of the Concorde liftoff sonatas, no. F-17.

Do you guys know alternatives to SpeedFan that I can try that are 98 SE / ME / XP compatible? Or any tips regarding SpeedFan? All I want is to be able to tweak the speed down to a level that preserves my sanity and doesn't let anything fry. Many thanks as always!

Reply 1 of 2, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Back in the day, this was like this and best solution was either make variable voltage regulator project and adjust down the rpm by voltage and leave it.
Or find zalman fan adjustable in a small box with inline plugs. Or use molex 4 pin inline plugs with 3pin fan plug on it and switch both 4pin plugs 5V and 12V wires around so fan is now on 5V.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 2, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know of one, I've looked into it before. I've been forced to use hardware speed controls the ones with the knobs such as zalman etc. Sometimes 5v fans with tolerate 3.3v signals are rotate slower.