VOGONS

First post, by gladders

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I just received in the post a Shuttle HOT-433 motherboard, which should be an adequate board for a 486 era machine I want to build.

Unexpectedly the seller included in the box an AMD 5x86 DX4 100MHz, which is pretty sweet!

However I had envisioned putting an i486 66MHz in here as a 'quintessential' 486 machine.

It'll likely just be for gaming with DOS and Windows 3.11 on it. I already have a Pentium III 450MHz for high-end DOS and Windows gaming, and intend to find that old Amstrad 286 for low-end, so this 486-era will be for mid-90s stuff, ideally DOOM-level.

I'm torn now - should I keep the 100MHz for the superior performance, or plum for the genuine Intel experience? Am I being overly sentimental or purist?

My own experience was jumping from a 286 Amstrad to a Pentium 133 sometime mid-90s, so 486 passed me by.

Reply 1 of 1, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can make the 100MHz run at 66MHz with change of multiplier jumper, there is option to have 2x or 3x. It should give performance similar to a 66MHz DX2 while being much less hot since that CPU is 3.3V and not 5V.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜