VOGONS

First post, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have these CPUs, both obviously need ~3V. A tried them on a Soyo 025R2 and a AS496 that have voltage settings and none of the CPUs showed any sign of life at 3V.
I said screw it, they must be bad and jumpered the boards to 5V. They both came to life instantly and worked fine. I fully expected smoke and explosions but it worked flawlessly. Why?
I downloaded the jumper manuals, followed them to the letter and nothing happened. Diag card showed ----. When I went berserk and switched to 5V both boards/CPUs worked as expected. Can anyone explain? These are confirmed working boards but only with 5V CPUs. Never used them with 3V CPUs before.

Attachments

• DSC_0701.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0701.JPG
    File size
    1.14 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 10, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe your voltage regulator is broken and when jumpered for 3v the CPU is getting no power at all?

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 2 of 10, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you checked wether the board actually supplies 3.x volts to the CPU?
I think it is normal for both CPUs to work at 5V for some time and not necessarily fail right away. There are even 486 CPUs meant to run at 3V that are 5V tolerant. Maybe the Ti is one of those?

Reply 4 of 10, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As I recall the dx4 is supposed to work at 3,3v and obviously the Ti (Cyrix) at 3,45v. These are two different voltages and some problems with the Ti could occur if the board delivers 3,30v (or slightly less). My own and 5x86 is rated 3,45v and also refused with 3,3v but goes perfectly with 3,45v setting.

But if that was your problem, the dx4 should work too. Unless that CPU isn't supported by the BIOS, and that messes with things. But that's unlikely to me. The vrm sounds like the best bet.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 5 of 10, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You were right guys, this bad boy was the culprit. You can even see the tiny solder blob on the heatspreader.
After replacing it the board behaved like it should and the CPUs worked like a charm. I hope they didn't suffer too much damage.
You are the best, thanks!

Attachments

• DSC_0706.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0706.JPG
    File size
    139.8 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 10, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great job! Another board saved 😁

And as for the CPUs: I suppose the short time these had 5v won't have to much influence of they still work 😀

Stuck at 10MHz...