VOGONS

First post, by sysjunkie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can one connect an IDE (ATAPI) CD-ROM to one of those USB to IDE adapters?
Has anyone tried that ?
I kinda want to connect one of my old IDE CD-ROM drives over USB to my main machine, don't ask why... It's for testing some things.
I want to buy an USB->IDE adapter, but I don't know if it's worth spending the money. If it woun't work, then there's no point.

Reply 2 of 19, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So have I .

You will need to use an external power supply, so you should probably consider a kit that includes a USB to IDE adapter and a power supply that has a molex connector and provides the 5v and 12v required by your CD-ROM drive .

Alternatively, if you plan to use this drive long term through USB, buying a USB to IDE enclosure with either an integrated PSU or an external one would be an option, if you can find one . The aforementioned adapter kits are likely much easier to find (I bought one about a month ago locally).

Reply 3 of 19, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 19, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It doesn't work for me but I bought it on Ali for like $5 with the power adapter included. It's a miracle the SATA part works at all but I haven't been able to get any IDE drives recognized. It didn't recognize my SATA DVD-RW either. Must be faulty or something.

Attachments

• idesatausb.jpg
    Filename
    idesatausb.jpg
    File size
    16.72 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 19, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've a few of these which work OK on most optical drives - even works without the brick with a laptop drive for full HD recordings from my TV

usb2ide.jpg
Filename
usb2ide.jpg
File size
640.82 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 6 of 19, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

with all these types of adapters I've found that it greatly helps if you plug the USB into the host PC last, after everything else is connected AND the drive is powered up

Reply 7 of 19, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-06-18, 13:42:

with all these types of adapters I've found that it greatly helps if you plug the USB into the host PC last, after everything else is connected AND the drive is powered up

I concur .

Reply 9 of 19, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sysjunkie wrote on 2021-06-18, 19:34:

Power is not a problem. Can someone recommend a definitely tested one tho ?

I used to have one of these (or a version thereof) before I lost it .

https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-CB-ISATAU2-Supp … h/dp/B000J01I1G

Reply 10 of 19, by mscdex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sysjunkie wrote on 2021-06-18, 19:34:

Power is not a problem. Can someone recommend a definitely tested one tho ?

I've used this one with an IDE CDRW drive on my main desktop to burn CDs for some of my older machines.

Reply 12 of 19, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-06-18, 10:01:

I've a few of these which work OK on most optical drives - even works without the brick with a laptop drive for full HD recordings from my TV

usb2ide.jpg

Be warned that those power bricks (specifically the type in that picture, I've had a few of them) have a tendency to go bad, causing the drives to spin down/up constantly.

Reply 13 of 19, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jmarsh wrote on 2021-06-21, 23:27:
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-06-18, 10:01:

usb2ide.jpg

Be warned that those power bricks (specifically the type in that picture, I've had a few of them) have a tendency to go bad, causing the drives to spin down/up constantly.

Good point .

As a general rule, I am very skeptical of the quality/suitability/safety of the power bricks supplied with electronics that are not from brands with some kind of a reputation .

That is one of the reasons I bought a Vantec branded unit rather than a no-name special of the week .

That said, for a temporary and occasional setup, running a Molex power cable from inside the PC case to the CD-ROM is a safe and perfectly valid solution that avoids using an external power brick .

Reply 14 of 19, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2021-06-21, 23:40:

That is one of the reasons I bought a Vantec branded unit rather than a no-name special of the week .

They come with vantec units: https://www.legitreviews.com/vantec-sata-ide- … r-review_131412

Reply 15 of 19, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jmarsh wrote on 2021-06-21, 23:55:
darry wrote on 2021-06-21, 23:40:

They come with vantec units: https://www.legitreviews.com/vantec-sata-ide- … r-review_131412

Do you mean to say that you have had issues with the power brick provided with a Vantec adapter ?

I have several Vantec external USB SATA enclosures and used to have the USB 2.0 to IDE adapter that I mentioned previously and had no issues with the provided power bricks . I did, however, encounter an explosively smoky power brick bundled with an IDE/SATA to USB adapter from Dealextreme (based on comments, I was expecting this and only plugged into an AC jack for giggles), but the USB adapter itself worked fine .

IMHO, in an almost ideal world, every new power brick, regardless of origin/brand should probably be tested with for voltage regulation, ripple and noise while a dummy load is applied . Unfortunately, most people (myself included) do not have the equipment required to do that . In an ideal word, there would be no substandard and/or faulty power bricks . 😉

Reply 16 of 19, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a Vantec adapter and it came with a "Flypower" PSU, the same as the one pictured earlier in this thread and the review that I linked. It failed after a few months despite very little actual use.

Reply 17 of 19, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@jmarsh / @darry, suppose in the end it comes down to personal experience with many of these things - I bought 7 of these (plus one of the later models with SATA) back in late 2010 / early 2011 from the same local supplier and despite regular, and at times extended, use since then I've had no failures in either the bricks nor the adapters themselves. Dug out the original supplier page for reference.

Plexus USB2IDE Adapter.jpg
Filename
Plexus USB2IDE Adapter.jpg
File size
213.93 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 19 of 19, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jmarsh wrote on 2021-06-22, 23:19:

Looking at the adapter I'm 99% sure it's the same internally as the Vantec ones.

I don't remember what the PSU that came with mine looked like , but my unit was the older USB 2.0 version so it likely came bundled with a different PSU than yours .