VOGONS

First post, by silvervest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got an IBM PS/2 Model 55 SX up and running and found that it still booted from the drive. It appears to boot into a Netware system for American Airlines. After some googling, this appears to be part of the old SABRE ticketing system used by AA since the '50s?

I can't seem to get further and I can't find the options files for the token ring adapter, so it just stops here. Anyone have any insight or thoughts?

Alternatively, I'll just format the drive and put PC-DOS on here 😀

Thanks!

Attachments

Reply 2 of 7, by silvervest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
devius wrote on 2021-06-20, 08:57:

You can just make an image of the drive in case it’s ever needed in the future and then do whatever you want to the drive.

Any ideas on how to get that done?

DOS's fdisk tells me it's NOVELL formatted, to which I have no idea how to read, and it's also an ESDI drive, so I can't really just pop it onto an SATA/PATA adapter and take a raw image via dd etc. I don't even know where to begin

Reply 4 of 7, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Might only have microchannel slots....3xMCA on the riser appears to be "normal" though I swear I've seen them with 2xMCA and one ISA... the interwebs won't back me up though. Possibly customer or market specific or swapped in from another model.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 7, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have a Novell keyboard with the <ANY> Key ?…..

Attachments

Reply 6 of 7, by silvervest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2021-06-20, 09:21:

Put in another controller with its own BIOS (eg SCSI), boot from that, then use SW (under whatever OS you boot to) to image the alien disk

BitWrangler wrote on 2021-06-20, 13:46:

Might only have microchannel slots....3xMCA on the riser appears to be "normal" though I swear I've seen them with 2xMCA and one ISA... the interwebs won't back me up though. Possibly customer or market specific or swapped in from another model.

Yep, this is correct it's three MCA slots and I don't have any other MCA controllers.

Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-06-20, 22:51:

Do you have a Novell keyboard with the <ANY> Key ?…..

No but I tried holding down A + N + Y and that seemed to abort the loading! 😉