VOGONS

First post, by DraxDomax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My mobo has PS headers... I have the connector to go there but no PS/2 socket for my mouse to go in.
Looking at this bit here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391261027521
It comes with "N-Way" options... I don't know if that's a different configuration of the pins inside the socket or just more wires available on the breakout side.

Would appreciate a correct answer on which one to pick in order to sort my mouse situation 😀

Reply 1 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's hard to say, they were never standardized. Check your motherboard's manual for the pinout if you can find it, or figure out where the + and - pins are with a multimeter then do some trial and error to find the data and clock pins on your motherboard.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 8, by DraxDomax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My question is more about the socket - if it's the same socket and just more wires... I'll take the 8-way one and clip the ones I don't need.
Also, this item looks like it has 5 individual "sockets" inside, which doesn't look like a typical PS/2 socket.
I think I am better off getting something else...

Reply 3 of 8, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From my experience, even if the holes on the PS2 bracket's connector physically match the PS2 header on the motherboard, the pinout might not be the same.

To be safe, you need to look for the PS2 header pinout in your motherboard's manual. Then, use a multimeter with continuity testing to determine the pinout of your PS2 bracket. And finally, rewire the bracket to correctly match the motherboard header (e.g. VCC to VCC, clock to clock etc). Here's a helpful video.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4 of 8, by DraxDomax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah this I know... (thanks for spending time to take care that I cover that, though!)
Just wondering about the "holes".
Isn't this connector more suitable than the one I previously linked: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304016597873 - this one's holes look more like I am used to for PS/2 and they are 6, not 5... I think I'll go for these (better value too)

Reply 5 of 8, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DraxDomax wrote on 2021-06-21, 02:41:

Yeah this I know... (thanks for spending time to take care that I cover that, though!)
Just wondering about the "holes".
Isn't this connector more suitable than the one I previously linked: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304016597873 - this one's holes look more like I am used to for PS/2 and they are 6, not 5... I think I'll go for these (better value too)

PS/2 always has 6 holes, even if only 4 are used.

Reply 6 of 8, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DraxDomax wrote on 2021-06-20, 23:51:

My question is more about the socket - if it's the same socket and just more wires... I'll take the 8-way one and clip the ones I don't need.

That won't work. The Mini-DIN plugs (like the one on your PS/2 mouse) are specifically keyed with plastic pins to prevent insertion into "wrong" sockets, i.e. sockets with more pin holes than the plug is designed to mate with. If you want to plug a mouse into an 8-pin or 9-pin Mini-DIN plug, you would need to remove the plastic key pin from the mouse plug. 6-pin Mini-DIN sockets should still be easily obtainable, so I don't see a compelling need to improvise there.

Reply 7 of 8, by DraxDomax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

so, when they say, in the first link "8-way" - that's the number of pins (a different socket shape), not just more wires coming out the back?
(I did wonder how a 5 pin socket can break out to 8 wires!)

Reply 8 of 8, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DraxDomax wrote on 2021-06-21, 10:32:

so, when they say, in the first link "8-way" - that's the number of pins (a different socket shape), not just more wires coming out the back?
(I did wonder how a 5 pin socket can break out to 8 wires!)

correct.