VOGONS

First post, by InjecTioN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm kind of hoping you can be of any help, as the slotket adapter in my IBM PC 300GL is quite loose in it's slot, which causes a system crash when bumping the table... 🤦

file.php?mode=view&id=113550

Sure, I can put a random piece of plastic in there to retain the slotket, but I want it to be neat. I just don't want the thing to be wobbling around. Especially not when moving the case around, with the danger of the slotket flopping out of its slot!

I've been searching the interwebs high and low, but still can't seem to find any 3D-printer models for slotket retention brackets or stilts. The alternative would be to buy them somewhere else. Which would be my second choice, as 3D prints would in fact help the many, and "just buying" would only help myself!

I've got a slotket just like this one (or at least the same shape):
file.php?mode=view&id=113548

So I'd be guessing these should definitely work:
file.php?mode=view&id=113549

(Images source: https://forums.overclockers.com.au/posts/17891566/)

I'd be very grateful if anyone can point me into the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0737.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0737.jpg
    File size
    1.09 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMAG2635.jpg
    Filename
    IMAG2635.jpg
    File size
    107.89 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMAG2631.jpg
    Filename
    IMAG2631.jpg
    File size
    186.17 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 19, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There does not seem to have been a universal solution for slotket brackets.
Some models came with full covers, some models came with motherboard brackets plus a latch over the top and some models came with the little clips as in your example photos with the Eagle 30-900sp-000-42A.
The slotket in your pc is a from the Super Slocket III aka Startech PPGA2SLOT1 family.
Startech marketed their slotket like this:

Startech.jpg
Filename
Startech.jpg
File size
22.4 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The earlier version of that slotket, marketed as Maxtium CPU370, came with brackets+latch like this:

s-l1600b.jpg
Filename
s-l1600b.jpg
File size
172 KiB
Views
File license

When you order something be aware that the solutions chosen by various slotket manufacterers did not always fit seamlessly with the brackets that are found on various motherboards.

Reply 2 of 19, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yah, they all had slightly different corners for their supplied kludges to fit on. The way to get one universal I think would be to ignore the corners and make one that just engaged the sides of the PCB, without being too deep that it might hit components on some models. You'd just have a slot in it the full height of the slotket, and maybe some thin crush wedges inside the slot so it would fit firmly to the edge of the slotket. Maybe also at the top where the corners indent, have crush vanes across, so when forcing it into there, it squishes back the ones where there's PCB and leaves the ones where there is notch, so it helps stop the slotket slipping up the rails. Personally, I'd probably hot glue them on as well.

edit: Okay the flaw in my cunning plan is that there's limited and variable amounts of space between slotkets and sides of the clamp brackets, meaning probably that the "spine" of the adapter would be too thin and floppy.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 19, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh you know what I might try, those binder bar things, plastic slide on spine clip, report binders whatever they are called..

71uS%2BiVZC5L.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

I think those are actually the curved back ones, probably want the flat back ones... so I'd cut a strip off to fit between socket and height of retention clamp arm... cut out any clearances needed for components on the slotket, then at the top, if it's wide enough to engage the hooks, cut back the sides a little way leaving the back/spine of it to hook on. Or if it's narrower and goes between the hooks, maybe I'd make it about 7mm taller, and drill a dowel through it at the height where the hooks engage. So those just clipped on would probably stop it flopping back and forward, but to hold it DOWN, I think I'd need to hotglue them on.

Edit: I also see an expedient unpretty solution, in that one could remove the retention arms off the board, then use the screwholes to loop a zip tie through, then pass that through the holes in the slotket, and tighten it up both sides... would keep it IN if tight, but might allow some flop still.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 19, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
InjecTioN wrote on 2021-07-01, 07:18:
8><CUT I've got a slotket just like this one (or at least the same shape): 8><CUT I'd be very grateful if anyone can point me in […]
Show full quote

8><CUT
8><CUT
Thanks in advance!

Which CPU have you installed in that slotket ?

Reply 5 of 19, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had some bits just come in, a partial retention mech, thought it should have hold downs, just has the sides. The slot in those appears to be 12mm. Now those binder clip bars I mentioned seem to be dimensioned internally (For max thickness they will hold I guess) so you'd probably want a "10mm" one if you were gonna try that.

Also got one single shoulder piece which I think is for a MS6905, but it fits very loose, seems like it would only kinda center the board. Got some mix and match parts in another stash I'll have to get out.

Also I believe there were two editions/revisions of the slot retention mechanism from Intel, so that's probably a wrench in the works too.

Reply 6 of 19, by InjecTioN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PARKE wrote on 2021-07-01, 11:29:
There does not seem to have been a universal solution for slotket brackets. Some models came with full covers, some models came […]
Show full quote

There does not seem to have been a universal solution for slotket brackets.
Some models came with full covers, some models came with motherboard brackets plus a latch over the top and some models came with the little clips as in your example photos with the Eagle 30-900sp-000-42A.
The slotket in your pc is a from the Super Slocket III aka Startech PPGA2SLOT1 family.
Startech marketed their slotket like this:
Startech.jpg
The earlier version of that slotket, marketed as Maxtium CPU370, came with brackets+latch like this:
s-l1600b.jpg
When you order something be aware that the solutions chosen by various slotket manufacterers did not always fit seamlessly with the brackets that are found on various motherboards.

Thanks! This is some really useful information! I might just ask a friend of mine to help and create a similar 3D model for this bracket that's pictured there.

BitWrangler wrote on 2021-07-01, 12:57:

Yah, they all had slightly different corners for their supplied kludges to fit on. The way to get one universal I think would be to ignore the corners and make one that just engaged the sides of the PCB, without being too deep that it might hit components on some models. You'd just have a slot in it the full height of the slotket, and maybe some thin crush wedges inside the slot so it would fit firmly to the edge of the slotket. Maybe also at the top where the corners indent, have crush vanes across, so when forcing it into there, it squishes back the ones where there's PCB and leaves the ones where there is notch, so it helps stop the slotket slipping up the rails. Personally, I'd probably hot glue them on as well.

edit: Okay the flaw in my cunning plan is that there's limited and variable amounts of space between slotkets and sides of the clamp brackets, meaning probably that the "spine" of the adapter would be too thin and floppy.

Yes. You might be on to something here. The flaw you've mentioned though, is something i've been wrestling with too. The glue is something i'm trying to avoid. Especially hot glue near a CPU. The components in this OEM IBM PC 300GL system aren’t original anymore (it had a Pentium II 233 Klamath in there), so i'd be happy to get it all back in there once i'm done playing with it, or once I get something more interesting to play with.

BitWrangler wrote on 2021-07-01, 13:18:
Oh you know what I might try, those binder bar things, plastic slide on spine clip, report binders whatever they are called.. […]
Show full quote

Oh you know what I might try, those binder bar things, plastic slide on spine clip, report binders whatever they are called..

71uS%2BiVZC5L.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

I think those are actually the curved back ones, probably want the flat back ones... so I'd cut a strip off to fit between socket and height of retention clamp arm... cut out any clearances needed for components on the slotket, then at the top, if it's wide enough to engage the hooks, cut back the sides a little way leaving the back/spine of it to hook on. Or if it's narrower and goes between the hooks, maybe I'd make it about 7mm taller, and drill a dowel through it at the height where the hooks engage. So those just clipped on would probably stop it flopping back and forward, but to hold it DOWN, I think I'd need to hotglue them on.

Edit: I also see an expedient unpretty solution, in that one could remove the retention arms off the board, then use the screwholes to loop a zip tie through, then pass that through the holes in the slotket, and tighten it up both sides... would keep it IN if tight, but might allow some flop still.

Those strips are actually a really interesting solution to me. They often have some adhesive on one side already, which makes the goal of a neat solution very much achievable, without looking like a dumpster.

The zip ties really won't cut it anymore. They look horrible! Practical thinking makes everything work in the first place, though. So it's a viable solution for anyone that doesn't have the need for a neat look inside the case.

Thanks for those ideas!

PARKE wrote on 2021-07-01, 16:51:
InjecTioN wrote on 2021-07-01, 07:18:
8><CUT I've got a slotket just like this one (or at least the same shape): 8><CUT I'd be very grateful if anyone can point me in […]
Show full quote

8><CUT
8><CUT
Thanks in advance!

Which CPU have you installed in that slotket ?

It currently has a Voodoo 2 8MB, AWE64 Gold, Realtek NIC, ATI All-in-Wonder 128 PCI 16MB, Philips CDRW200 series CD writer (black and gold doesn't quite match, though it is period correct ¯\_(ツ)_/¯), 256MB of PC-133 (set to 66MHz at low latencies), an original HDD (soon to be replaced by a 32GB mSATA to pATA 2.5" thing) and as a CPU Intel Celeron 433 MHz Mendocino PPGA (I'm still looking for a Mendocino 533MHz).

Quite the beast for what it should be marketed for. 😏 😎

BitWrangler wrote on 2021-07-01, 17:45:

I had some bits just come in, a partial retention mech, thought it should have hold downs, just has the sides. The slot in those appears to be 12mm. Now those binder clip bars I mentioned seem to be dimensioned internally (For max thickness they will hold I guess) so you'd probably want a "10mm" one if you were gonna try that.

Also got one single shoulder piece which I think is for a MS6905, but it fits very loose, seems like it would only kinda center the board. Got some mix and match parts in another stash I'll have to get out.

Also I believe there were two editions/revisions of the slot retention mechanism from Intel, so that's probably a wrench in the works too.

Also some very useful information! If you've got some more dimensions, my friend might be able to recreate 3D models (to eventually upload on thingiverse.com).

Last edited by InjecTioN on 2021-07-06, 18:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 19, by InjecTioN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-07-01, 20:10:

What I find works quite well is short lengths of hot glue sticks trimmed to fit

Thanks! You can confirm they don’t melt after a longer period of time? It would be a shame if the glue would eventually got “runny” enough to slip into the CPU slot.

Reply 9 of 19, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
InjecTioN wrote on 2021-07-06, 18:02:
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-07-01, 20:10:

What I find works quite well is short lengths of hot glue sticks trimmed to fit

Thanks! You can confirm they don’t melt after a longer period of time? It would be a shame if the glue would eventually got “runny” enough to slip into the CPU slot.

No they don't melt 😀 - most glue guns operate between 150 - 200C so if your system is generating that kind of temp you have bigger problems than a bit of runny glue !!!

Reply 10 of 19, by InjecTioN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've eventually decided to go for, you would've never guessed it, an eraser. 😀

I got myself a rather large chunk at our local Dutch Hema departement store.

Due to the rubbery properties of the eraser, I just cut a couple of cubes out of the eraser, after which I've cut out some slight indentations for the Slotket card.

It looks rather nice, if I say so myself! 😁

Thanks for all of your helpful input. 😀

Attachments

• IMG_0945.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_0945.jpeg
    File size
    1.52 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_0944.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_0944.jpeg
    File size
    1.74 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 12 of 19, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I meant to get back to this but I don't know what I did with my measuring caliper. Neat trick with the eraser though.

Two other types I've come across, one set had holes in the upright arms, and supplied guides that clipped into those. Another one on a PC Chips board, had sprung leafs in the arms with slots in that pushed out the way when a cartridge put in, but because of the groove and spring would hold a slotket. Might be worth inspecting arms to see if this was what was meant to happen, but having a cartridge in the slot for a few years might have killed the spring in the spring, so they might need bending out a bit.

However, something dawned on me, I saw a diagram and the slot supports were labelled "For Celeron CPU only" yes, celerons were not cased up like PII/III but a bare board with the heatsink on. Seems that boards released "celeron aware" had some method of retaining them supplied. Even when slotkets were only a year or two old I was having trouble looking for retainers, because I was looking for "slotket retainers" etc in searches, what I needed to be looking for were "celeron retainers" doh.

Reply 13 of 19, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-07-19, 12:27:

However, something dawned on me, I saw a diagram and the slot supports were labelled "For Celeron CPU only" yes, celerons were not cased up like PII/III but a bare board with the heatsink on. Seems that boards released "celeron aware" had some method of retaining them supplied. Even when slotkets were only a year or two old I was having trouble looking for retainers, because I was looking for "slotket retainers" etc in searches, what I needed to be looking for were "celeron retainers" doh.

There were two systems, SECC and SECC2. SECC2 was basically the same as the 'Celeron' variety in so far that the heatsink was held in place in the same location:

four.jpg
Filename
four.jpg
File size
90.53 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 14 of 19, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Universal Retention Mech was one of the ones I was tryna describe with the springs, yeah that will hold a slotket, but good thing you brought up the other types too.

Reply 15 of 19, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Celeron type was called SEPP. As far as I can see the retention mechanism is the same as for SECC2 but a SECC2 heatsink only fits on Pentium pcb's because the 4 central holes in the pcb are not in the same locations as in the Celeron pcb.

Reply 16 of 19, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
InjecTioN wrote on 2021-07-19, 09:18:
I've eventually decided to go for, you would've never guessed it, an eraser. :) […]
Show full quote

I've eventually decided to go for, you would've never guessed it, an eraser. 😀

I got myself a rather large chunk at our local Dutch Hema departement store.

Due to the rubbery properties of the eraser, I just cut a couple of cubes out of the eraser, after which I've cut out some slight indentations for the Slotket card.

It looks rather nice, if I say so myself! 😁

Thanks for all of your helpful input. 😀

Thank you, absolutely brilliant idea:

IMG_20210726_224910600.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210726_224910600.jpg
File size
230.3 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Three vinyl erasers in a pack from the dollar store.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 18 of 19, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Remember to use the high quality Staedtler Mars ones for a 1.4Ghz PIII-S though 🤣

Reply 19 of 19, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-07-27, 03:21:

Remember to use the high quality Staedtler Mars ones for a 1.4Ghz PIII-S though 🤣

I had the Staedtler in my shopping cart, then I saw the generic ones for $1, so out they went.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png