VOGONS

CF To IDE (and SD Card) not working

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe... Hard to investigate... one way to know for sure is to get ahold of an other machine either from someone you know or buy an other machine.. you know you want to...

Reply 24 of 31, by devilish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got some happy news! Installed the P3B-F, and straight away with the CD attached, it recognised and went past post. Haven't tested the hard drive yet, but it's a positive step forwards, just need another 40pin IDE cable, and done!

Think it shows as well the other motherboard is/was acting a bit funny after all.

Reply 25 of 31, by devilish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm, maybe not. CF lights up when system is turned on, but then I get nothing. All I get is in the photo. Is something there when I choose manual select for IDE in the bios, but all the settings - setting PIO to 1, ultra DMA on/off does nothing.

Attachments

• splash.jpg
    Filename
    splash.jpg
    File size
    81.33 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • bios.jpg
    Filename
    bios.jpg
    File size
    70.08 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 26 of 31, by AngryByDefault

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does your BIOS have an auto detect IDE drive feature?

Also, silly as it may sound, are you positive about the card' s orientation?

My CF-IDE adapter expects it with the branded side up, but my USB reader expects it the other way around, and none of them has any indication of this nor any notch that could prevent me to inserting them the wrong way...

Reply 27 of 31, by devilish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AngryByDefault wrote on 2021-07-19, 21:13:

Does your BIOS have an auto detect IDE drive feature?

Also, silly as it may sound, are you positive about the card' s orientation?

My CF-IDE adapter expects it with the branded side up, but my USB reader expects it the other way around, and none of them has any indication of this nor any notch that could prevent me to inserting them the wrong way...

Yeah, i've tried auto settings, and i get nothing. I can't invert the compactflash either, it'll only go in one way. I still think i'm missing something simple here!

Reply 28 of 31, by devilish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's the CF-IDE adapter. I tried my SD card -> IDE and it picked it up first time. Only issue i've got with it, it's just a loose board, and where do people mount these in their system? Got nowhere to do so, and it's hanging loose - I don't want it to short. Any ideas?

Reply 29 of 31, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I built my own holder for placing it in a 2.5 bay, it did not end up being very pretty. But I heard you can buy 3d printed ones on eBay.

I also saw someone put it in a HDD caddy.

Reply 31 of 31, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Discussed in this topic. There is an eBay link there.

SD-to-IDE drive questions/compatibility

Next time I take my CF drive appart i will try to rember to take some photos. I just bent the plate that covered the 3.5" and put some of those distance screws you put behind the motherboard on it so I could have something to screw into and made a hole in the plastic covering the drive bay. Its this hole I'm not that proud of... 😀

Edit: hard to type on phone...