VOGONS

First post, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I built a socket 7 system not long ago and looking for some 3dfx games that will run good on my setup and let me explore the 3dfx world.

Back in the days I never could afford a 3dfx then after that jumped onto a Riva tnt when I got a slot1 Celeron so I am now finally enjoying a 3dfx.

My system is:
- Socket 7 pentium mmx 233 on a ga586 board
- 256 ram
- 3d monster voodoo 1 card 4mb
- some s3 1 or 2mb card for 2d
- cf card

So basically at the moment the 3dfx games I have are

1. Shadow warrior - I quiet enjoy it and play it, it is very playable but not 100% smooth
2. Tomb Raider 1 - nice gfx can't get into this too much atm
3. carmageddon - hard to get the 3dfx patch going and I read on my cpu won't be running very good anyway
4. decent 2 - can't get into it too much atm

I am looking for some other games that will run good on my specs and give me the 3dfx experience.
What I have on my scope but I am not sure if will run good so far is
1. gl quake
2. unreal

I have dos and win98se

What can you guys recommend for me to finally get the 3dfx experience, nearly 30 years later

Reply 1 of 13, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If that is a Intel 430TX chipset then you should drop to 64mb ram, you will get more performance. The 430tx can only cache up to 64mb.

Mechwarrior 2 should run well on that machine and there is a 3dfx version.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 2 of 13, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Final Fantasy VII, Wipeout XL and Mortal Kombat 4 will run well on that system. The first two are D3D games but work just fine on a Voodoo1.

I have a similar rig and have posted some of my benchmarks and impressions here in case you're curious.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 13, by luk1999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try Screamer Rally - that was my favorite game from "early 3dfx era". It should work really good on your machine (friend of mine played it on P100 or P120 with Voodoo Rush).

Pentium 4 2.4C, ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe, 1 GB RAM, GF FX5700 128 MB AGP, SB Audigy, Chieftec GPS-400AA-101A, Win XP SP2
Celeron 400, Compaq Garry, 128 MB RAM, Voodoo Banshee, ALS100 Plus+, Compaq 200 W, Win 98SE

Reply 4 of 13, by Thandor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unreal will run (of course) but I'd think you'd get a way better Unreal gaming experience on a Pentium II with Voodoo 2/3. I have it installed on my P3/450 with V3 and still think that Unreal looks very nice. Especially the menu-scene 😀. Nevertheless it's always good to go 'back' and run it on a Voodoo Graphics.

Others on the list that pop in my mind right away:
- Quake II
- Interstate '76
- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
- DethKarz (perhaps same deal as Unreal but should run and look nice on a tweaked Voodoo Graphics 😀).
- G-Police
- Turok
- Speed Busters

And don't forget techdemos! 3Dfx Wizard of Tower and Valley of Ra. Especially that last one which is from April 1997 and fits the scene and technology that 3Dfx was going after at the time.

Perhaps it's also an idea to find demo discs of that era that came with magazines or were bundled with retail Voodoo cards. On Archive.org you can probably find all the PC Gamer Cover CD's and such. Loads of stuff! 😀

thandor.net - hardware
And the rest of us would be carousing the aisles, stuffing baloney.

Reply 7 of 13, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the replies!

I found them very helpful!

I installed so far
- wipeout xl - Very impressed with the graphics it looks beautiful to me!
- mechwarrior 2 - Played the original in dos 2d back in the days so also impressed with the difference

Next on the list from the suggestions:
- Gpolice - didnt know there was 3dfx, very excited about this title always loved the look of this game but don't think my dx2 ran it well
- Turok - Same as Gpolice

- interstate 76 Added to my list however will have to get through the other titles
- Final fantasy - Same as above

All the other titles I still have to look up but thank you for ever single title I am happy to have games to keep trying

Joseph_Joestar Thank you for sharing your thread, it is excellent to see a very similar machine for comparison and some hints

Also I will look at swapping in a 1x64 ram chip to get some performance boost. I was always under the impression the chipset limitation would still cache the first 64mb then if anything uses more the rest of the ram would be accessed slower

Reply 9 of 13, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
treeman wrote on 2021-07-13, 23:40:

Also I will look at swapping in a 1x64 ram chip to get some performance boost. I was always under the impression the chipset limitation would still cache the first 64mb then if anything uses more the rest of the ram would be accessed slower

It does it backwards I believe, so the first 192mb will be slow, no idea why! 64mb should give you a small but noticable speed increase.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 11 of 13, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
treeman wrote on 2021-07-13, 23:40:

Joseph_Joestar Thank you for sharing your thread, it is excellent to see a very similar machine for comparison and some hints

Thanks to Joseph's thread I tried Half Life on my P200+Voodoo1 box this week. Definitely playable, which is quite a trip on this hardware. Worth a go.

luk1999 wrote on 2021-07-13, 16:48:

Try Screamer Rally - that was my favorite game from "early 3dfx era". It should work really good on your machine (friend of mine played it on P100 or P120 with Voodoo Rush).

Screamer 2, too.

Reply 12 of 13, by luk1999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I remember playing Half Life back then in 1998 on my Celly 266, PCChips with Ali chipset and Voodoo Rush 6 MB. Performance was okay (15-25 fps) when there was not much action on screen. But later in game when more enemies attacked you at once or during explosions framerate often dropped under 10 fps.

I've also seen HL on my friend's machine (Celly 433, PCChips on i440BX, Voodoo 4 MB) and while it worked significantly better, it was still far from stable 20 - 25 fps in more demanding moments.

That's why I think that at least PII/PIII 450 MHz is minimum for playing this game comfortable using Glide. 😀.

Another nice game (and totally forgotten) is SIN. It was a bit less demanding than HL IIRC, so it should work okay on P233 with V1.

Pentium 4 2.4C, ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe, 1 GB RAM, GF FX5700 128 MB AGP, SB Audigy, Chieftec GPS-400AA-101A, Win XP SP2
Celeron 400, Compaq Garry, 128 MB RAM, Voodoo Banshee, ALS100 Plus+, Compaq 200 W, Win 98SE

Reply 13 of 13, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for all the suggestions, will keep me busy for a while. I haven't had time yet to play any games but this weekend I am going to have some fun 😀