VOGONS

First post, by Digitalzombie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heya everyone 😀

Just out of sheer luck I've got my hands on some additional 3dfx awesomnes. So nostalgia is back on the menu for now.
Because my retro systems are pretty much complete as they are, I was looking around for something *fresh*.

I've stumbled upon some cheap POS systems (which I always ignored), used for cash registers in supermarkets/shops.
Has anyone ever tried adapting one for some retro activities? Couldn't find any mention about that around here (or pretty much anywhere).

So after some searching, suddenly there was the "Aures Poseo".
At least on paper a very neat system:

- CPU: "3.2 Ghz Celeron" (the Ebay listing I've looked at)
- Socket: 775
- Chipset: Intel 945G (so ... Win98 support I guess)
- RAM: 512MB DDR2
- SATA (even with hardware RAID)
- 2 free PCI Slots
- A ton of 12 / 24V I/O ports ... that will never be used

It got one audio line out, but the datasheet just mentions vaguely a "Speaker & MIC Connector". So no clue yet what audio chip they've used. Thats why the 2 PCI slots come in handy. One for the V3 3000 and the other one for a nice little soundcard. Which I would through in anyway, be it just to use the midi port for a SC-55 (don't want to fiddle around with serial ... yet!).

But the highlight to me personally ... the case. I mean, just look at it! That SCREAMS Voodoo 3 console PC 😁
The hardware status screen is awesome too. Especially since it runs without extra software. But looking at the cutout for the display, my mind already goes in the direction of a custom animated 3dfx bootup logo on startup. Wouldn't be a problem, small OLEDs are cheap.

The IBM surePOS would be a nice alternative. Often very similar specced and a different kind of beauty:
HTB1v5f7KFXXXXXkXXXXq6xXFXXX6.jpg

A bit more expensive though. I've bought the Poseo today for about 40 USD and the IBM surePOS are around 100 USD.

So ... pretty much one part "look what I've found" and one part "so ... any recommendations on how to build the system?" 😁

Attachments

• 01.PNG
    Filename
    01.PNG
    File size
    232.53 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 02.PNG
    Filename
    02.PNG
    File size
    376.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 03.PNG
    Filename
    03.PNG
    File size
    638.6 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 04.PNG
    Filename
    04.PNG
    File size
    384.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 005.PNG
    Filename
    005.PNG
    File size
    340.19 KiB
    Views
    File license

Nothing ever burns down by itself
Every fire needs a little bit of help

Reply 1 of 13, by mR_Slug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Be interesting to know how you get on. That IBM looks sweet. Always wondered about POS. Parents had a cafe for a while and though to using one in it, but old till met their requirement fine, so never got to play with that hardware. Still would like to play with some of this stuff but always stumped as what to do with it.

The Retro Web | EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Reply 2 of 13, by Digitalzombie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can't wait for it to arrive. So far it seems like standard hardware with a custom board layout and additional I/O and serial (up to 24V ... yikes. may need do try to disable them so prevent accidents. USB too) ports for drawer release and what else hangs around a cash register.
Reminds me a bit of the "industrial" boards out there. Those with PCIe AND ISA. I bet there is something like that in POS form out there too.

So depending on how long ago your parents had such a system ... you could have played Doom on it!

For the IBM machines, there are matching LCD monitors on 800x600. So much want, not enough space ...

Reply 3 of 13, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a beautiful system, usually POS systems from reputable brands are high quality hardware made for 24/7 work but they usually have some propietary hardware and lack some features that aren't needed for a POS system, in this case AGP. You can find POS systems from not so reputable brands that use more common hardware, the only proprietary part is usually the case, but they are lower quality. And is common for POS systems to have low power CPUS.
I have three old POS systems that has an MSI 865gvm2 (socket 478) and a Celeron 2.4ghz, this board lack the AGP port but has the place to put it. You can find all in one POS systems that are interesting to save space in your desk.

Reply 4 of 13, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it is working I doubt you will have any issues with any of those setup at all. I'm quite fond of small form factor setups which is one reason I got the shuttle Xpc.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 6 of 13, by Digitalzombie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hoping wrote on 2021-07-20, 21:41:

[...] some propietary hardware and lack some features that aren't needed for a POS system, in this case AGP. [...]

True. But in this instance I've actively searched for a system without AGP because of the Voodoo 3 3000 (PCI). ISA would have been a nice alternativ to one of the PCI slots, but since I have a MMX 200 system for pure DOS ... meh.

Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-20, 22:37:

If it is working I doubt you will have any issues with any of those setup at all. I'm quite fond of small form factor setups which is one reason I got the shuttle Xpc.

Yeah, doubt that too. 99% of all problems that will appear, will be made purely by me. Because ... thats usually how it goes. Never was a fan of the Shuttle barebones. Size is awesome, but the design -> not for me.

mR_Slug wrote on 2021-07-21, 12:27:

IIRC I think serial runs upto 24V anyway so shouldn't be an issue on that front. May want to check that though.

Usually 12V (needed to check that). But if I'll use serial it will be only one port. I think I can take out the big USB module and the datasheet says I can configure the serial ports with jumpers. So to minimize the risk.
But I could draw up to 500mA from each port, which is kinda insane 😁

The cash drawer port can be accessed directly by setting registers (see screenshot). It's probably just a short impulse, but I'm alreading trying to think of ideas on what I could use it for. Not that it wouldn't be as easy with serial and a small relay, but the temptation is still there.

Attachments

• register.PNG
    Filename
    register.PNG
    File size
    31.52 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 7 of 13, by Digitalzombie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

[Edit] Sorry, for doublepost. Not enough coffee yet ... [...]

Got my package yesterday evening. Aaaaand ... of course it's the wrong model 🙁 5100 instead of 5200.

It wouldn't matter much, but this one got no SATA ports and of course the awesome display is missing. Even if I kinda like the design of the front a bit more. Neeeed (waaaaant) SATA 😁
But since the seller sells this model in a differenct auction too, for about 70 USD more ... I think I may can still get my hands on the right one.

Attachments

Reply 8 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you like it you could always use a IDE to SATA adapter?
IDE may be preferable if you wanted a optical drive with CD audio cable which was rare on SATA drives

Reply 9 of 13, by Digitalzombie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2021-07-23, 08:49:

If you like it you could always use a IDE to SATA adapter?

The ones I have right now are a bit ... let's call it wonky. Maybe I shouldn't have cheaped out on them.

But I've talked to the seller. It was an honest mistake. They sent the right machine on the way and I'm gonna send back the wrong one. 😀

Reply 11 of 13, by Digitalzombie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-07-26, 07:19:

nice photos looks like we get to see 2 models now

Yep and here it is 😀

Intel Celeron D 352 (SL9KM)
512K Cache, 3,20 GHz,-533-MHz-FSB

The clear cover is missing at the front, everything else just seems to need a cleanup.
I think I'm gonna make the LCD cutout a bit larger (for another OLED or ... maybe a VFD?) and make a non-clear cover out of a rigid foam plate.

Attachments

• image006.jpg
    Filename
    image006.jpg
    File size
    107.08 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • image005.jpg
    Filename
    image005.jpg