VOGONS

First post, by resetsmith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I'm trying to put together a 486 machine for fun, and I'm running into issues...

I bought a lot of my parts of ebay, and they were all tested according to the seller...so I'm hoping it's not that I'm dealing with a dead board or something...but considering my relative lack of experience here, I wouldn't be surprised at all if I was doing something wrong.

Board: Lucky Star LS486 rev C1
Processor: AMD AM486DX4-100V16BGC
Video: Cardex S3 TRIO 64 86C765 4MB VGA PCI

I've got the jumpers set for "enhanced AMD with writeback cache", but I don't get a post beep, video, and the turbo LED doesn't show anything. Can anyone help me troubleshoot this? I'd really appreciate it.

Here's my board with the jumper configuration

3e9a1a85-cc91-4d21-a685-db1b37950dff.jpg
Filename
3e9a1a85-cc91-4d21-a685-db1b37950dff.jpg
File size
311.49 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I also noticed this cable coming out of the PSU, but don't know what it does? There doesn't seem to be anywhere apparent to plug it into my board, nor is there any mention in the manual. If someone could identify this for me, that'd be great.

2a8e7a5b-788f-4a11-b612-1bc2f308e94c.jpg
Filename
2a8e7a5b-788f-4a11-b612-1bc2f308e94c.jpg
File size
478.86 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Here's the manual for the board:

Filename
Lucky Star LS486E rev. C2 Mainboard_text.pdf
File size
938.94 KiB
Downloads
43 downloads
File license
Public domain

Thank you in advance! Let me know if you'd like any more information. Thank you!

Reply 1 of 20, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You have an AMD AM486DX4 so you need to set your jumpers according to option (E) AMD DX/DX2/DX4 (NV8T) (pdf page 7) and set the voltage to 3V (4V if 3V doesn't do it).

The weird cable on the PSU is meant to power a turbo display.

Let us know how it went! 😀

Reply 3 of 20, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The manual/board does not show which direction the jumpers go.
Maybe re-seat the jumper - it could be an "illegal" setting instead of the 33mhz clock. My old manual gives 5-6 closed for 33mhz your's shows 1-2 closed for the same setting.

Reply 4 of 20, by resetsmith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-07-27, 08:36:

You have an AMD AM486DX4 so you need to set your jumpers according to option (E) AMD DX/DX2/DX4 (NV8T) (pdf page 7) and set the voltage to 3V (4V if 3V doesn't do it).

The weird cable on the PSU is meant to power a turbo display.

Let us know how it went! 😀

Thanks for the reply!

I have an enhanced AMD 486 with writeback, and the manual says there are specific jumper settings for that processor compared to the settings shown for the write-through chips (NV8T). I will try changing the voltage to 4v though!

Update: So I got the turbo display working, so thanks for that, but none of the other stuff you suggested worked. The FSB is set to 33mhz, and changing the voltage to 4v produced no results.

Something odd though...The turbo display is reading 50mhz and when I hit the button it ramps down to 33mhz...I've got a 100mhz processor in there...Is it possible my processor is not seated all the way, or is this just default behavior for the turbo display when it's not getting any information from the system? It's a ZIF socket, but I did notice there seems to be a little bit of space in-between the socket and the chip? I'm really out of my depth here...

Baby steps are good! I'd really like to keep making progress with this.

Thank you!

Last edited by resetsmith on 2021-07-27, 13:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 20, by watson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
amadeus777999 wrote on 2021-07-27, 09:24:

Maybe re-seat the jumper - it could be an "illegal" setting instead of the 33mhz clock. My old manual gives 5-6 closed for 33mhz your's shows 1-2 closed for the same setting.

Yes, I think this might be the issue. I saw a video with the exact same problem recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC6BtL_6jhQ.

From your picture I can see that the jumper is in the configuration that was not working for the guy in the video. Try swapping the FSB jumper to the other side of the jumper block.
The board revision in the video is C2, I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Otherwise, a PCI/ISA post card could help diagnose the issue.

Reply 6 of 20, by resetsmith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
watson wrote on 2021-07-27, 13:50:
Yes, I think this might be the issue. I saw a video with the exact same problem recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC6BtL […]
Show full quote
amadeus777999 wrote on 2021-07-27, 09:24:

Yes, I think this might be the issue. I saw a video with the exact same problem recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC6BtL_6jhQ.

From your picture I can see that the jumper is in the configuration that was not working for the guy in the video. Try swapping the FSB jumper to the other side of the jumper block.
The board revision in the video is C2, I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Otherwise, a PCI/ISA post card could help diagnose the issue.

Tried with no luck. I noticed that the guy in the video was also using shorting two pins on something called "w2" which I don't seem to have on my board at all? So strange!

Update: I was able to get a post beep by setting the FSB to 25 or 40. One long beep followed by two short ones. I suppose that's something? /shrug

Reply 7 of 20, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
resetsmith wrote on 2021-07-27, 12:43:

Something odd though...The turbo display is reading 50mhz and when I hit the button it ramps down to 33mhz...I've got a 100mhz processor in there...Is it possible my processor is not seated all the way, or is this just default behavior for the turbo display when it's not getting any information from the system? It's a ZIF socket, but I did notice there seems to be a little bit of space in-between the socket and the chip? I'm really out of my depth here...

Don't overthink the turbo display. If the turbo switch connector is connected right, it really will tell the board to run fast or slow, but the numbers are just for decoration... the RGB of its time. They are set using jumpers on the turbo display; it isn't sophisticated enough to read out the speed from the board or anything. (In fact, the only way these BIOSes can determine the clock rate is to run a brief benchmark).

The motherboard power connector wires look slightly weird because there is a black wire on the far end and there is that ribbon cable in the way, but I assume both connectors have the black wires in the middle. Since the visible connector is in correctly I assume the other one is too.

You did verify the RAM is FPM not EDO?

Reply 8 of 20, by resetsmith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2021-07-27, 14:15:
Don't overthink the turbo display. If the turbo switch connector is connected right, it really will tell the board to run fast o […]
Show full quote
resetsmith wrote on 2021-07-27, 12:43:

Don't overthink the turbo display. If the turbo switch connector is connected right, it really will tell the board to run fast or slow, but the numbers are just for decoration... the RGB of its time. They are set using jumpers on the turbo display; it isn't sophisticated enough to read out the speed from the board or anything. (In fact, the only way these BIOSes can determine the clock rate is to run a brief benchmark).

The motherboard power connector wires look slightly weird because there is a black wire on the far end and there is that ribbon cable in the way, but I assume both connectors have the black wires in the middle. Since the visible connector is in correctly I assume the other one is too.

You did verify the RAM is FPM not EDO?

Thank you for the explanation of the turbo display. I definitely would have continued to wig out about that.

AT power is connected correctly with the black cables on the inside.

As for the ram, I'm not sure, but the board's manual says it supports EDO?

Reply 10 of 20, by resetsmith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2021-07-27, 14:24:

Looks like long-short-short is video card related, so perhaps try moving it around in different pci slots.

25Mhz FSB is what produced this post beep code, but that's not the right setting for my chip? I saw that that Award bios beep code mentions a long + two short beeps is video related...and I'm definitely not getting video...but if the FSB setting is wrong, should I even bother?

I've gotta go to work now, but I will try this when I get home if you say it's worth a shot.

Thanks everyone! I feel like I'm slowly makin' my way.

Reply 11 of 20, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
resetsmith wrote on 2021-07-27, 14:34:
25Mhz FSB is what produced this post beep code, but that's not the right setting for my chip? I saw that that Award bios beep co […]
Show full quote

Looks like long-short-short is video card related, so perhaps try moving it around in different pci slots.

25Mhz FSB is what produced this post beep code, but that's not the right setting for my chip? I saw that that Award bios beep code mentions a long + two short beeps is video related...and I'm definitely not getting video...but if the FSB setting is wrong, should I even bother?

I've gotta go to work now, but I will try this when I get home if you say it's worth a shot.

25 MHz just means it will run at 75 instead of 100, so underclocked. Video card problem is (I think) pretty late in the POST process so it's a good sign if you could at least get video and then get back to troubleshooting the 33 MHz issue.
If you continue to have problems it would be helpful to dismantle the system and take a picture of the board with nothing in the way to show all jumpers.

Reply 13 of 20, by resetsmith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2021-07-27, 14:51:
25Mhz FSB is what produced this post beep code, but that's not the right setting for my chip? I saw that that Award bios beep co […]
Show full quote

25 MHz just means it will run at 75 instead of 100, so underclocked. Video card problem is (I think) pretty late in the POST process so it's a good sign if you could at least get video and then get back to troubleshooting the 33 MHz issue.
If you continue to have problems it would be helpful to dismantle the system and take a picture of the board with nothing in the way to show all jumpers.

The plot thickens! So I can even get the post beep code consistently and I think it may just be due to me letting the card sag while I was testing things. I'm still not getting any video and I'm so confused and frustrated. Tried cleaning card and the PCI slots with no luck. Help? T^T

Edit: I tried messing with the FSB settings, and I've been able to get the post beep code on 25 and 33mhz...

Reply 14 of 20, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
resetsmith wrote on 2021-07-27, 23:26:

The plot thickens! So I can even get the post beep code consistently and I think it may just be due to me letting the card sag while I was testing things. I'm still not getting any video and I'm so confused and frustrated. Tried cleaning card and the PCI slots with no luck. Help? T^T

Edit: I tried messing with the FSB settings, and I've been able to get the post beep code on 25 and 33mhz...

Can we get a closer look at your RAM simm, or maybe verify what happens if you try with no ram at all

Reply 15 of 20, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
resetsmith wrote on 2021-07-27, 04:04:

I've got the jumpers set for "enhanced AMD with writeback cache", but I don't get a post beep, video, and the turbo LED doesn't show anything. Can anyone help me troubleshoot this? I'd really appreciate it.

Wait, if the turbo LED doesn't show anything, and you don't have it connected backward, maybe it's in non-turbo mode? It could be working just so excruciatingly slow you never notice except when the video card is missing Never mind

Reply 16 of 20, by resetsmith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2021-07-28, 00:14:
resetsmith wrote on 2021-07-27, 23:26:

Can we get a closer look at your RAM simm, or maybe verify what happens if you try with no ram at all

I'm so sorry I doubted you! It was the ram! I swapped it out for some sticks I had in another machine and it booted immediately! Correct bus speed and everything B)

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Update: The video card is still giving me issues...Seems like it's VERY particular about how it's sitting in the slot. I can't even get the case put back together without making it angry and losing video...Seems like I'll need to replace it. Progress though! Not mad about that.

25189bf0-fbec-40b5-990f-7bb423da0afe.jpg
Filename
25189bf0-fbec-40b5-990f-7bb423da0afe.jpg
File size
819.39 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain