VOGONS

First post, by final fighter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I dont have any pictures of the laptop just yet but i figured i would post up what im dealing with and what i want to do with the laptop.

To start, here are some links that describe the laptop better than i can.

Link describing laptop with manual in the link: http://www.happyponyland.net/bondwell.php

Blog link with more details http://www.z80.eu/blog/index.php?m=07&y=19&en … ry190711-213000

Specs of my model: (these are taken from the Manuel and matched with my laptops config)
2 3-1/2 FDD, 720kb capacity.
Intel 80C88, 4.77/8mhz
8kb bios monitor rom
4kb character rom
1024kb ram, 640kb user ram, 384kb extended.
Static video ram 16kb
RGBI output. (composite port is not present but appears everything is there circuit wise if i solder the port on)
8087-2 coprocessor (soon)
80x25 text display lcd
640 x 200 dot graphics display

Some backstory for you all. so about 10 years ago when i was in high school, my brother and i went to a garage sale with our sister. my brother picked the laptop up and at the time
thought it was cool. after a few weeks i got the wise idea to open up the pc and check out how it worked. making a long story short, i never quit got it back together right. i had made
some mistakes on trying to upgrade it with 1.44mb fdd drives witch did not work out well and i messed up the lcd screen. i was able to get the laptop working again all except for the
screen and it got forgotten at our mothers place in a closet for all these years. i recently rediscovered the laptop and sense i have a fair bit more experience than i did before i decided
i would fix it up and give it back to him. So aside from fixing something i broke years ago i also am extremely interested in older computers from this era. so ill get to work on something
im interested in and have some fun along the way.

With the laptop specs and back story out of the way i promise to get pictures of it for you, hopefully you guys have enough information from the links provided to help out a bit tho.
its currently in parts and completely torn down so when i update the post with pictures you will know exactly what im working with. i got a replacement lcd for it so in theory it should go back
together as it was before and be good as old, but i dont want it quit like that.

So here is what i want to do with the unit.
1.) Add a FDD Emulator
2.) Add a CF card.
3.) build an RGBI to VGA cable

i feel that by doing these 3 things (the first one mostly) will allow the laptop to actually function somewhat .i would like to add the cf card if possible for added space and to have everything on one drive.
as for the RGBI to VGA, i want to see if i can get some color output. ill give an update on this. all the parts to build the cable are on there way so it should not take to long.

So the questions i have are about expanding the system, particularly the cf card as an hdd and some 28 pin sockets next to the co processor (will get picks of them for you). The laptop board currently has 2 FDD drives connected
to a single cable on ONE 34Pin connector. There is a second 34pin connector that is unoccupied and i was wondering if i could use this for some sort of hdd setup (cf card?) or maybe use it for the FDD emulator
while leaving the 2 real fdd's in place. Based on my searching i have not been able to find out if there is any solution for using a cf card in this system so i figured i would ask. if it cant be done than
thats alright. i would just like to be able to get software on and off this thing reasonably and the FDD emulator will have to do then. as for the 28 pic sockets, there are 4 unoccupied slots next to the coprocessor socket
and 2 jumpers to select between 2 options (rom and something else, cant remember right now, will be shown in the picks to come). my question with these, what are they for? they are the same type and style as atmel 27c256 would go
into. not saying those are compatible, just saying that they use that style of socket if that makes sense.

Thast all i have for now. ill post some pics soon and i would like to hear your thought on what im trying to do. if you have any pointers im all ears.

Reply 1 of 3, by final fighter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, i got pictures of the mainboard:

Overall board:
download/file.php?mode=view&id=115656

Bios, CPU, and other parts(keyboard controller 8748, chipset in upper portion of pic, and cf77235ft?)
download/file.php?mode=view&id=115658

Co proc and eprom sockets:
download/file.php?mode=view&id=115659

Ram:
download/file.php?mode=view&id=115660

Graphics chip and memory:
download/file.php?mode=view&id=115661

Attachments

Reply 2 of 3, by final fighter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank