VOGONS

First post, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I saw some people on Discord looking for some out of production full can clock oscillators, and they seemed to be very hard to source. But, equivalents were available in surface mount, abeit at a lower voltage.

I came up with a little adapter to replace a full can (5VDC) clock oscillator with a 3.3VDC 7x5mm SMD clock oscillator. It has an onboard voltage regulator to step down 5V to 3.3V to power the clock chip at the right voltage, and it has a level shifter to change the 3.3V clock output to a 5V clock output, sending it back to the system to be read properly. This should open up a ton of options for replacements on obsolete systems where the original part is not available or hard to find.

Rev 0.3 incorporates a clock disable jumper in case your specific board needs to have this clock disabled. (rare occurence) I put a 1x03 2.0mm pitch jumper header onboard for the tri-state "en" input. For the SMD clock to operate, either have a jumper across the "enable" side, or leave it off all together. For disabling the clock, put a jumper across the "dis" pins and make sure the disable jumper is also set on your motherboard/card. I haven't seen any hardware that uses this tri-state input, but I'm sure there may be some out there. If you don't need this feature, don't bother even soldering the pin header on.

For the build, I recommend soldering the clock chip first, then all the back side SMD components, then solder the pin headers. To keep the pins straight, they can be inserted into a spare DIP socket or breadboard while soldering.

KiCAD, gerbers, BOM included for v0.3 in this post.

Boards ordered, but untested as of yet. Please build and test on a breadboard first before use.

GParn0F.png

92GcC8c.png

======================================================

And here's the variable model, which you can program pretty much any frequency, 8kHz to 160MHz. You can use an arduino/pi or any other microcontroller with I2C to set the frequency. It is compatible with both 3.3v and 5v. Components are slightly more difficult to hand solder, but perfectly doable if you are used to working with 0603 size components. This is based on the Adafruit Si5351 Clock Generator Breakout board (LINK), so it can be programmed in the exact some manner. Programming Info.
*this version does not make use of the enable pin, so use in a board that does not utilize clock disable features

zvfb0FS.png

wDKCemd.png

Attachments

Last edited by wiretap on 2021-08-23, 19:33. Edited 11 times in total.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 3 of 21, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Excellent! A couple of months ago I spent quite a while sourcing a 50MHz oscillator for a 486DX-50, in the end I managed to find one but it took some time.

I don't know how frequently these things fail, but I've already run into a couple of dead boards that I managed to revive after replacing the oscillator, so this is definitely very useful.

By the way, do you know if motherboards usually expect certain spec values for these oscillators? Meaning frequency stability (PPM), duty cycle, TTL vs. CMOS, etc.

Reply 4 of 21, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Usually a PC motherboard isn't too picky and I've used higher/lower PPM spec'd cans before. I usually stay with the exact voltage and frequency specifications though.

My Github

Reply 5 of 21, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

v0.3 uploaded and attached to the main post. I added a tri-state input jumper to disable the clock if needed. See first post for explanation.

My Github

Reply 6 of 21, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have long been thinking about creating something similar, but instead of fixed frequency, i would use some PLL chip and bunch of jumpers to set frequency in a wide range...

Maybe you want to take over that idea?

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 7 of 21, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not really sure how easily that could be implemented. Usually those chips are SOIC mounted. Unless you have an idea of how to accomplish that.

My Github

Reply 8 of 21, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote on 2021-08-23, 12:04:

Not really sure how easily that could be implemented. Usually those chips are SOIC mounted. Unless you have an idea of how to accomplish that.

Uhm, sorry, i didn't quite get it. How to mount SOIC packages on PCB? Why wouldn't soldering iron work here?

Also, just a sidenote, that some PCB manufacturers also provide the component fitting service. You can basically order a ready-made PCB with all components already attached. 😉

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 9 of 21, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigAHerZ wrote on 2021-08-23, 12:06:

Uhm, sorry, i didn't quite get it. How to mount SOIC packages on PCB? Why wouldn't soldering iron work here?

Also, just a sidenote, that some PCB manufacturers also provide the component fitting service. You can basically order a ready-made PCB with all components already attached. 😉

No, how to make a PCB that attaches to SOIC in place of the original chip.

My Github

Reply 10 of 21, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote on 2021-08-23, 12:08:

Similar approach like yours already. 😀
You would have a PCB with 4 pins like a crystal has, and on the PCB, you would have your tiny SOIC packaged chip.

Reply 11 of 21, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigAHerZ wrote on 2021-08-23, 12:10:
wiretap wrote on 2021-08-23, 12:08:

Similar approach like yours already. 😀
You would have a PCB with 4 pins like a crystal has, and on the PCB, you would have your tiny SOIC packaged chip.

That wouldn't work. You'd need a way to attach the PCB to the bare SOIC pads on the motherboard once the original chip is removed.

My Github

Reply 12 of 21, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think you got me wrong.

I would still wish to have classic oscillator package with 4 pins.

Let's say, i have a 386DX-40 board. It wants an 80MHz clock oscillator in a 4-pin socket. But i would love to have something there, that can do let's say 66-100MHz by just flipping a jumper/switch on the new oscillator PCB.

Reply 13 of 21, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hold on.. I thought you meant a PLL chip replacement for motherboards. You mean to make a variable clock generator for a crystal oscillator full can replacement.

I'll look into that.

My Github

Reply 14 of 21, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote on 2021-08-23, 12:15:

Hold on.. I thought you meant a PLL chip replacement for motherboards. You mean to make a variable clock generator for a crystal oscillator full can replacement.

I'll look into that.

Exactly!
I mentioned PLL as something that maybe you would need on your new PCB. 😀

Feel free to run wild with this idea. (Y)

Reply 15 of 21, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can do it. I have a design in mind already, based off this: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-si5351-cl … akout/downloads -- it would basically be shrinking that board and fitting it into the full can oscillator size, then only use one output tied to the clock pin.

It can output 8kHz to 160MHz, and I could make it all fit on the full can size oscillator. It is 5V tolerant as well. The only downside is you need to have an external microcontroller to set it. (i.e. arduino or any i2c device)

My Github

Reply 16 of 21, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Variable clock speed version uploaded. All of these are untested thus far. Use at your own risk. I recommend testing on a breadboard with oscilloscope first.

My Github

Reply 17 of 21, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wheeeeeee!!!! Yes, I like that. Will take me forever to get round to making one though, too much on the go... but imagining a 'duino with a display on front of case and one of those clicky knobs, and wiring it into a 486 board with a DX-80 on it, and having "dial a bus speed" from 8 to 50.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 18 of 21, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote on 2021-08-23, 19:23:

Variable clock speed version uploaded. All of these are untested thus far. Use at your own risk. I recommend testing on a breadboard with oscilloscope first.

Amazing! 😮

Only thought i have is that could i be able to make it single-sided, maybe? The PCB manufacturers could then 100% fully complete it and you need no soldering. 😁

Reply 19 of 21, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think there is enough room. I mean it may be possible if you're super good at placement & routing and use 0402 size caps/resistors. But I didn't check any assembly services to see if they even have these components available. Some are pretty specialized.

But, anyone is free to give it a go, as the project files are all there and it is open source.

My Github