VOGONS

First post, by Iris4g

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Howdy folks. I'll get straight to the point.

HP Pavilion 4530 with a very bare bones and stripped down P5S-VM.

Initially everything was working great. Tried to add a PCI Radeon 9250 and that's when the fun started. Windows 98 worked fine for a little bit then suddenly after some minor 3D acceleration, bam BSOD. System was unrecoverable and eventually hard locked.
After this, the gpu never worked in the system again. Actually no new PCI devices worked (I tested an Ethernet card), always hanging when windows 98 loads the Pci bus driver.

However The riptide sound+modem continued to work until I started a fresh install of Windows 98 today.
Now the integrated SiS USB ports as well as the riptide media card don't work! Windows 98 just doesn't even see them at all in device manager, no exclamation marks or anything.

I've tried so many different things including :
- Disabling the onboard gpu via jumpers + removing the riptide card, no go. USB still not working and no Pci devices to be found.
-installing windows 98 with the voodoo rush Pci and riptide card + USB mouse all plugged in, the setup hangs at "detecting plug and play hardware " in the Windows 98 install. Forced to restart the system then it continues and finishes
-removed all Pci device and clean install, same as above the setup hangs at the exact same spot
-restoring bios to factory defaults

I'm losing my mind here, what could be happening? HP in their infinite wisdom no Longer has drivers for this system so I can't find a BIOS update other than the one on ASUS' website butim hesitant to try it as I can't seem to get awdflash to backup the existing BIOS on the Rom chip currently.

Could it be capacitors? Physically they look great, and I don't see any magic goo. They're rubyconns
Is the chipset maybe on its deathbed?

The weirdest thing is that I can get my voodoo rush to work as much as Windows seeing it and using the standard display driver. Have yet to test actually installing the driver.

Sorry if I'm all over the place. It's 12am and I'm stuck writing ona phone no less... but advice or tips would be really helpful! I'd love to get this tiny HP working again.

Reply 1 of 15, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If You use awdflash for a flash BIOS, You can create a backup easily - either by using awdflash A:\backup.bin /sy /pn or by agreeing in GUI: http://kachani.narod.ru/AWDFLASH_BIOS_Procedure.htm If clean OS installation and CMOS deletion didn't help, I would try reflash BIOS, although I can't explain how it could be damaged...

Reply 4 of 15, by Chkcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For backing up and flashing an Award BIOS on an Asus board, you need to use Aflash instead of Awdflash.
I have attached Aflash v2.02 to this message. Works here on every Asus socket 7 board I tried it on.

What BIOS Revision do you have now? I believe Revision 1006 is the latest for the Asus P5S-VM/P5-99VM boards.

Attachments

• Filename
    aflash202.zip
    File size
    37.47 KiB
    Downloads
    31 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

CPU Identification utility
The Unofficial K6-2+ / K6-III+ page

Reply 5 of 15, by Iris4g

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Chkcpu wrote on 2021-08-09, 15:26:

What BIOS Revision do you have now? I believe Revision 1006 is the latest for the Asus P5S-VM/P5-99VM boards.

Thank you so much! I was still having issues flashing. I believe the BIOS is 1002, it's never been updated since the pc was bought. I'm going to back it up now and try out the latest I could find (1005)

Reply 7 of 15, by Chkcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Iris4g wrote on 2021-08-09, 18:54:

Getting the error "can't find system BIOS' hook" every time I run aflash, maybe because it's an HP Oem board?

It is possible, but I've only seen this error message when he HP system had a Phoenix BIOS and you tried to flash a BIOS from another vendor.
I had this once on a HP Pavillion 6640C with the same Asus OEM P5s-VM board in it. It had a Phoenix BIOS, and I was unable to flash the Asus Award BIOS for this board. I tried several flash programs, including Uniflash, but was unsuccesful.
In the end, I bought another flashchip and used my (E)EPROM programmer to put the Award BIOS in.

After replacing the old for the new BIOS chip, the P5S-VM board worked flawlessly on this HP machine and gave me a 5-10% increase in performance with the original CPU installed!

So, not a simple solution, but I hope this helps.

Jan.

Reply 8 of 15, by Iris4g

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Chkcpu wrote on 2021-08-09, 20:05:
It is possible, but I've only seen this error message when he HP system had a Phoenix BIOS and you tried to flash a BIOS from an […]
Show full quote
Iris4g wrote on 2021-08-09, 18:54:

Getting the error "can't find system BIOS' hook" every time I run aflash, maybe because it's an HP Oem board?

It is possible, but I've only seen this error message when he HP system had a Phoenix BIOS and you tried to flash a BIOS from another vendor.
I had this once on a HP Pavillion 6640C with the same Asus OEM P5s-VM board in it. It had a Phoenix BIOS, and I was unable to flash the Asus Award BIOS for this board. I tried several flash programs, including Uniflash, but was unsuccesful.
In the end, I bought another flashchip and used my (E)EPROM programmer to put the Award BIOS in.

After replacing the old for the new BIOS chip, the P5S-VM board worked flawlessly on this HP machine and gave me a 5-10% increase in performance with the original CPU installed!

So, not a simple solution, but I hope this helps.

Jan.

It might be a route I have to take then... not sure. I found the latest Hp bios for this system after hours f digging. It flashed successfully but the problem persists! I'm considering changing the caps, maybe they've gone bad after all these years. I tested a new PSU and same problem... hum...

Reply 9 of 15, by Iris4g

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

writing to say that I fixed the problem!
I believe it boiled down to two issues. A general issue with the chipset not liking windows 98 per Se, and a need for a BIOS update.

I dug really hard and found some sketchy Russian driverguide clone site that had all the latest drivers for my pavilion, including bios 1.10!

Using a restore CD meant for a pavilion 6630, and that BIOS update, I got the system seeing USB and the riptide card again. After disabling the legacy audio driver for the riptide card (MSDOS audio, don't need it) I popped in my voodoo rush expecting the worst but instead it booted into Windows and installed the drivers no problem!!

Reply 10 of 15, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's good to have it working again. If you can share a link to that site (or files directly)for any other interested , that would be excellent.
Is this the model with the AMD CPU?

Attachments

• hp4530.jpg
    Filename
    hp4530.jpg
    File size
    9.36 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 11 of 15, by Chkcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Iris4g,

Great that you were able to fix this nice HP Pavilion socket 7 system! 😀
And now you are running the latest v1.10 BIOS as well. Being a Phoenix BIOS, this explains the error message you got when trying to flash the Award BIOS. 😉

The fastest CPUs this Phoenix v1.10 BIOS supports are the K6-2/550 and K6-III/450.
So if you ever want to upgrade to a K6-2+ or K6-III+ CPU, you will need the patched Asus P5S-VM Revision 1006 Award BIOS from http://www.steunebrink.info/k6plus.htm

This patched 1006VMJ1 BIOS was succesfully tested on a HP Pavilion 6640C, running a K6-2+/550 CPU on an Asus P5S-VM rev. 2.02 board.

Cheers, Jan.

Edit: updated my website link.

Last edited by Chkcpu on 2023-07-01, 13:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 15, by Iris4g

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ydee wrote on 2021-08-10, 12:51:

It's good to have it working again. If you can share a link to that site (or files directly)for any other interested , that would be excellent.
Is this the model with the AMD CPU?

Here's the website. Please note that I have no idea what the nature of this website is like... I have adblock and antivirus :
https://driver.ru/?H=Pavilion%204530%20%28US/CAN%29&By=HP

Edit: yes that is indeed the system!

Reply 13 of 15, by Iris4g

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Chkcpu wrote on 2021-08-10, 14:57:
Hi Iris4g, […]
Show full quote

Hi Iris4g,

Great that you were able to fix this nice HP Pavilion socket 7 system! 😀
And now you are running the latest v1.10 BIOS as well. Being a Phoenix BIOS, this explains the error message you got when trying to flash the Award BIOS. 😉

The fastest CPUs this Phoenix v1.10 BIOS supports are the K6-2/550 and K6-III/450.
So if you ever want to upgrade to a K6-2+ or K6-III+ CPU, you will need the patched Asus P5S-VM Revision 1006 Award BIOS from http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

This patched 1006VMJ1 BIOS was succesfully tested on a HP Pavilion 6640C, running a K6-2+/550 CPU on an Asus P5S-VM rev. 2.02 board.

Cheers, Jan.

Thanks a bunch! That involves buying a programmer and also a new bios chip (long story but the pins are weak on mine after removing it to clean). I wonder if you could modify the BIOS and put the HP Oem logo in it...

Reply 14 of 15, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for link and don´t worry, it is the web Drivercollection.com, also has an English version: https://driverscollection.com/?H=Pavilion%204 … US/CAN%29&By=HP
And thank You for the info, I didn't know HP used AMD K6 CPUs in desktops.

Reply 15 of 15, by Chkcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks a bunch! That involves buying a programmer and also a new bios chip (long story but the pins are weak on mine after removing it to clean). I wonder if you could modify the BIOS and put the HP Oem logo in it...

Sorry Iris4g, I never played with BIOS logo's so I'm unable to help you here.
But I commend you for trying to keep the HP machine as authentic as possible, even when running it on an Award BIOS. 😉

Jan.