VOGONS

First post, by dragonkn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I got a Abit Be6 (not II) computer for cheap - years ago
Today I noticed that the area around the red dots is slightly smeared with something green
I washed it off quickly with alcohol and noticed something was wrong
I read that the W144H chip has something to do with the spread spectrum
I have this function turned off in bios and I'm a little afraid to try to turn it on
is it some kind of modification or repair? Can I use this computer? What do you think? PC is stable btw
Thanks for help

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    Filename
    2.jpg
    File size
    1.09 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    1.08 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like corrosion to me. Could be a bug or small rodent got to it and used it to pee on.

Could also be that it had some condensation at some point but I don't think that alone would cause the green corrosion color.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 5, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could be verdigris from a manufacturing defect: https://circuitsassembly.com/ca/features-item … abase-1704.html

So possibly just surface corrosion and the trace underneath is still fine.

The W144H is the clock generator for various things on the board. Looks like there are 12 SDRAM clocks from the W144H (from the datasheet), which are all series terminated with 33 ohm resistor networks RN1,2&3. I guess Abit designed the board to allow CP7,8&9 to be fitted in case they needed to control the rise/fall rate of the clock signals, but then found they weren't needed, so weren't fitted. If the board is stable then there's probably no problem right now; any problems would show up as memory faults. I don't think it looks like it's been modded, so shouldn't be any issue using the spread spectrum setting or not. As others said, probably best just to clean up the corrosion, then maybe put a drop of some lacquer over it to help stop and further corrosion.

Reply 5 of 5, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, looks like corrosion of some kind to me too.

Just clean it off thoroughly. If the copper traces are intact and there's no visible deeper damage, there's nothing more to worry about. If you like, you can cover it with a dab of PCB varnish or nail polish afterwards.

A 2mm fibreglass brush is ideal for the job. One of those should be in every retro enthusiast's toolbox by the way 😀