VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With all the retro hardware projects out there, you would think someone would have gotten the idea to start producing, or reproducing, retro style PC cases.
I've a couple motherboards (286 and 486) waiting for me to be able to find horizontal desktop cases for them; I'd settle for frames; then I could at least build my own custom covers.

Does anyone know of a source for AT horizontal desktop cases?

You can find, if you look, horizontal ATX cases on places like Newegg and Amazon, but they're already expensive, and then on top of that you have to work them over to make them even vaguely retro looking (and, incidentally, work with your retro motherboard/parts).

Reply 1 of 4, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I made a retro style front for the Yeong Yang A201 case, but that's only because I found:

a. these cases were at the time available cheaply on ebay (so I bought 2)
b. actual CAD files for this case were available, they were so accurate it's unlikely they were produced by anyone other than the manufacturer (they've since disappeared from the internet)

And with those, I made a 3d printable Micro-ATX to AT adapter, which you can get on this page: Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Right now I've got my favourite AMD 386 DX40 in there 😀 With both the 3d printed bezel and the adapter parts.
Here's what it looks like, I haven't shared the files because they're pretty rubbish and few people have this case: Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Putting a PC case onto a CCD-based scanner would be sufficient to get good measurements of hole locations if that's something you're looking to do.

Reply 3 of 4, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Al my AT cases were bought on Amibay. I've not seen a desktop case in years. I might at some point buy a couple of cases off Evercase, as I have AT shields for ATX cases.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.