VOGONS

Reply 20 of 30, by schlomoe99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-08-26, 02:16:

Another option is to use fishing line and springs to secure the heatsink. The springs of course will be on top of the heatsink or in channels in the heatsink. You would have the fishing line going around the card top to bottom. I've done this before and it works well.

This. Fishing line is extremely underrated as a way to secure heatsinks. I've successfully used them on the CPUs of several socket 3 systems. What's nice about it is that it is cheap, it holds the heatsink securely in place, non-permanently, and it is so thin that its effect on efficiency for heat dissipation is negligible. Give it a try, and I'm sure you would agree. Good luck!

Reply 23 of 30, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2021-08-26, 11:06:

I'm not familiar with fishing line. Isn't it usually made out of a kind of plastic that would be at risk of melting?

It's usually a single nylon thread so it should survive higher temps than the chip.😉

Reply 24 of 30, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Following, I get a fantastic overclock with the cooler shown but the adhesive thermal tape I’ve tried only holds for about a week. I need to try with fishing line or superglue next. Would love a custom mount though.

Attachments

Reply 26 of 30, by schlomoe99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-08-26, 11:13:
Kahenraz wrote on 2021-08-26, 11:06:

I'm not familiar with fishing line. Isn't it usually made out of a kind of plastic that would be at risk of melting?

It's usually a single nylon thread so it should survive higher temps than the chip.😉

I agree. Monofilament fishing line, which is readily available and inexpensive, has a crystalline melting temperature of around 230 °C, and a glass transition temperature in the range of 70 °C.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineer … ng/monofilament

You'll be fine!

Reply 27 of 30, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2021-08-26, 12:25:

I have that exact cooler. It's excellent as a CPU cooler but it's very heavy and is not a good match for thermal tape. Try an aluminum heatsink instead.

How are you overclocking your PCX2?

I swapped in a new crystal, 18.45 to get an 85Mhz clock if I remember correctly.

30fps in Quake 2 at 640x480x32

MW2 also super smooth

Reply 29 of 30, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The clockspeed of the PCX2 isn't derived from the PCI clock but if you overclock your PCI bus too much the cars won't work properly.
Not all motherboards have PCI and FSB linked though. Some offer dividers, others have a fixed PCI clock.

Reply 30 of 30, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-08-26, 09:25:

A fan blowing across the chip will do you more good than a small passive heatsink.

This. I was able to make a 'bracket' out of some plastic runway i had laying around, attached a fan to that, screwed it down to a slot, and mounted right next to the card. Works like a charm, and I don't dirty up the nice card or risk damage trying to remove crap later on.

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB