VOGONS

First post, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey I was just wondering , does anyone know of a way to permanently slow down a cd rom drive to 4x?
Maybe by flashing it or jumper settings?

I've used cd be quiet but opening the drive to swap disks will reset the speed back to the regular speed.
The drive is a Sony CDU 4811 btw.

Reply 2 of 11, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ntalaec wrote on 2021-08-31, 20:58:

If you are using Windows 9x you could use Nero DriveSpeed

Unfortunately I'm using dos 6.22 so I'm stuck with win 3.1 🙁

Reply 3 of 11, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AppleSauce wrote on 2021-08-31, 15:06:
Hey I was just wondering , does anyone know of a way to permanently slow down a cd rom drive to 4x? Maybe by flashing it or jum […]
Show full quote

Hey I was just wondering , does anyone know of a way to permanently slow down a cd rom drive to 4x?
Maybe by flashing it or jumper settings?

I've used cd be quiet but opening the drive to swap disks will reset the speed back to the regular speed.
The drive is a Sony CDU 4811 btw.

Although not a permanent solution but you can slow down your CD drive to even 4x speed every time your PC starts by running cdbq.exe from autoexec.bat.

Filename
CDBQ.zip
File size
25.05 KiB
Downloads
79 downloads
File license
Public domain

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 5 of 11, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I already set it to change the speed at boot up with autoexec.bat which is fine , I just wish opening the drive wouldn't reset the speed.
I might look at those drivers though , thanks for the recommendation.

Reply 7 of 11, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AppleSauce wrote on 2021-11-04, 03:19:

And now I don't have to bother with tsrs.

If you're talking about CDBeQuiet! that's not a TSR.

It just sets the drive to the relevant speed and then quits. Says so in the readme as well.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 8 of 11, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-11-04, 05:27:
AppleSauce wrote on 2021-11-04, 03:19:

And now I don't have to bother with tsrs.

If you're talking about CDBeQuiet! that's not a TSR.

It just sets the drive to the relevant speed and then quits. Says so in the readme as well.

Righto my bad , is that why the drive resets the speed then? Bequiet just tells the firmware to slow down then it closes itself? And if you open the drive then the firmware resets itself and be quiet is no longer there to reset the speed?

Reply 9 of 11, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AppleSauce wrote on 2021-11-04, 06:21:

Righto my bad , is that why the drive resets the speed then? Bequiet just tells the firmware to slow down then it closes itself? And if you open the drive then the firmware resets itself and be quiet is no longer there to reset the speed?

The author of CDBQ said that some drives are designed that way and that it cannot be worked around, other than by running the program again whenever the tray is opened.

I've noticed the same behavior with Nero Drive Speed under Win9x, so it does seem to be a hardware/firmware issue. Doesn't really bother me much since games rarely ask you to change disks, other than during installation.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 10 of 11, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have seen many 12x crom units floating around testing one revealed no difference in noise level compared to a 4x unit perhaps that could be a goal than reboot set drive speed 😀

Reply 11 of 11, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-11-04, 08:25:
AppleSauce wrote on 2021-11-04, 06:21:

The author of CDBQ said that some drives are designed that way and that it cannot be worked around, other than by running the program again whenever the tray is opened.

I've noticed the same behavior with Nero Drive Speed under Win9x, so it does seem to be a hardware/firmware issue. Doesn't really bother me much since games rarely ask you to change disks, other than during installation.

I have an old game im playing for nostalgias sake called chronicles of the sword , it literally won't let you load a save later into the game unless you insert disc 1 first after selecting the save then swap to disc 2 im guessing as a copy protection measure. So I guess it depends.