RAM on 286

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aknot wrote on 2021-10-22, 18:18:

This poor granny was in very bad condition. So be respectful 😀 a few things left to finish this project, but now I'm stuck with this turbo thing...

Hey it should suffice for a 10Mhz 286 😀
i also would use it! 😁

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 21 of 27, by aknot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2021-10-23, 12:34:

Broken or faulty contact on one of the oscillators ? looks like you've got two, one I assume 16 MHz, divided by two would give the 8MHz cpu speed, and one 32MHz which would deliver the 16MHz.
One of the ceramics around them could also be at fault.

I don't have knowledge and equipment to test them, possible easiest way for me is to replace 32Mhz oscillators. Then check the issue.

Thanks!

Reply 22 of 27, by aknot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey it should suffice for a 10Mhz 286 😀
i also would use it! 😁

Of course 8Mhz is enough 😀 but it would be incomplete project to left it with broken TURBO!

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-10-24, 22:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23 of 27, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aknot wrote on 2021-10-24, 13:44:
weedeewee wrote on 2021-10-23, 12:34:

Broken or faulty contact on one of the oscillators ? looks like you've got two, one I assume 16 MHz, divided by two would give the 8MHz cpu speed, and one 32MHz which would deliver the 16MHz.
One of the ceramics around them could also be at fault.

I don't have knowledge and equipment to test them, possible easiest way for me is to replace 32Mhz oscillators. Then check the issue.

Thanks!

Wonder what would happen if you swapped the two temporarily just to see what would happen?

Reply 24 of 27, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

oh man nostalgia! i just remembered back in 1996 i discovered the oscillator crystal was the reason turbo malfunctioned! hope that helps but doubt eBayt has replacement need hobbyist supplier. crystals eventually crack from oscillating (vibrating) it goes to show nothing man made lasts forever. I miss playing with this stuff like the othert day i discovered some old 8086's would make a bunch of beeps when turned on but that was because when basic got forgotten people pulled the chips out of the bios bank 😀

Reply 25 of 27, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-10-24, 18:25:

... doubt eBayt has replacement need hobbyist supplier. ...

Dunno where aknot is based, but quickly checking on ebay in the UK there's a seller offering them for a bit over £5 including postage, so might get lucky. Before that though, Jakethompson1's idea of putting the 16MHz oscillator in place of the 32MHz one sounds like a good way to check if that's the source of the problem.

Reply 26 of 27, by aknot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
snufkin wrote on 2021-10-24, 19:40:
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-10-24, 18:25:

... doubt eBayt has replacement need hobbyist supplier. ...

Dunno where aknot is based, but quickly checking on ebay in the UK there's a seller offering them for a bit over £5 including postage, so might get lucky. Before that though, Jakethompson1's idea of putting the 16MHz oscillator in place of the 32MHz one sounds like a good way to check if that's the source of the problem.

Thanks guys for suggestion. I ordered a few oscillators and will let you know the status as soon as I will replace them. I'm EU located 😀

Reply 27 of 27, by aknot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

Well it took a some time to get oscillator and change it, but... oscillator wasn't the issue. After soldering work, there was the same behavior. So, forced to find I guy with measurement tools to check existence of 16Mhz on the motherboard. We found out that there is no problem with oscillator as we found these 16Mhz.
In short, two RAM chips was faulty. They was working fine on 8Mhz and passed the RAM tests, but issue came out only when CPU was working in 16Mhz.
Attached tests with faulty RAMs and when they was swapped to another + sysinfo and CPU performance 😀
So, now it works fine and the restoration project is almost finished 😀

Thanks!

Attachments