VOGONS

First post, by charliegolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi
I wonder if anyone has any ideas what might be going on here. I was working on my gateway 486 dx. It has an anagma mobo with a soldered in phoenix bios.
I installed win 3.11 over dos 6.
Then tried to install the windows drivers for my aztech mm16 pro. This is from the disks that came with it in the box, though the first time I've run the widows setup, dos was fine.
It hung, and the first time I aborted, it corrupted my Auto exec etc so I restored them and tried again.
This time it went a bit further to the point of asking if I wanted to use the onboard CD connector, and then froze again.
Rebooting into dos, something fishy has happened to the name of my windows directory (see linked images).

http://imgur.com/gallery/pX6ZvFD

I figured some kind of malware and thought if I resinstall windows to a fresh directory I can just use that to delete the new mad character filename of the old corrupt directory. Dos wouldn't allow it.
That went fine until I went in and tried to delete it, it wouldn't let me in windows either so some kind of file orivilidges have been applied.
Then I decided best to wipe the HD and start again but the problems really start here.
Rebooting give me a checksum error as if the dallas chip battery is dead.
Trying to get into the bios now results in either a plain grey screen or sometimes a little red message as on the pics.
I also get random memory errors and can't boot from a floppy.
So I'm thinking I either have some kind of bios infection (if such a thing existed back then) or I've coincidentally somehow wrecked my bios at the same time as the other dodgy behaviour showed up.
Any ideas or thoughts will be gratefully received.
It's my favourite pc 🙁

YouTube:
66Mhz Brain

Reply 1 of 6, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It looks to me like your RAM is failing. Have you tried using different memory that is known to be good? I would do that first, as it may explain everything you describe.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 6, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Remove and reinsert memory sticks. Give them a slight wiggle.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 3 of 6, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

try one ram stick at a time, ie remove them - insert one again and try reboot

sometimes you can home in on a faulty ram this way, it does sound like the issue here though really it could be something more subtle, hope it resolves for you

Reply 4 of 6, by charliegolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes thanks for all replies! Was ram. Of the 4 4mb modules that were working in the machine this morning, 1 seems to be still functioning. So not sure what happened there. Got it running again on 8mb with another 4mb stick I had lying around. Can format now and get rid of that other thing.

YouTube:
66Mhz Brain

Reply 5 of 6, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Perhaps old PSU voltage spikes? It is very unusual for multiple sticks to fail. Other components could have been damaged as well.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS