VOGONS

First post, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The *ableism* needed to erase some EPROMs.
But he threw away his EPROM eraser decades ago when he thought he'd no longer need it. 🙁

The EPROM erasers the*ableism* found for purchase were way too expensive for his taste, and the cheaper ones were of dubious quality (e.g. no data sheet etc).

So the*ableism* took an old flashlight which was supposed to use A batteries.
Buying a set of A batteries? No, too expensive for just erasing a dozen EPROMs.
The 12V plug of the flashlight had no polarity markings.
The *ableism* plugged in a laptop 12V PSU.
But he was too lazy to check the polarity with the flashlight electronics before, just assuming that tip was +.
Zap, the inverter died.

Sigh, said the*ableism*, ripped away the dead electronics and connected another CCFL inverter and tested functionality.

file.php?mode=view&id=118698

So the basic apparatus was proven to work.
Now the*ableism* swapped the ordinary CCFL with a cheap 6W disinfection UVC tube (Osram Puritec HNS 6 W G5, peak at 251nm) which costs less than three euros.

file.php?mode=view&id=118705

Then the*ableism* left the bathroom, closed the door and put a box in front of the door, to prevent UVC leaking outside, and finally put the power cord into the wallplug.

Half a hour later he unplugged the cable again and entered the bathroom.
A little strange smell.
The calendula's vibrant orange was unchanged.
But, the EPROM data was all FF 😀

Warning: Do NOT do this. Don't ever think about trying to dry nails with this.

Attachments

• DSCN8853.JPG
    Filename
    DSCN8853.JPG
    File size
    796.61 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • DSCN8852.JPG
    Filename
    DSCN8852.JPG
    File size
    1.02 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by Dominus on 2021-09-25, 19:29. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by Byrd

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Put it in a box ... please?

I just bought TL866 programmer, and realised I also need a ghetto EEPROM wiper - from reports I've read, the cheapo "UV phone steriliser" from Kmart works well. Of course I saw stacks of these for a couple of bucks earlier in the year, thought what a joke, but had to buy one off eBay now!

JB

Reply 2 of 6, by TehGuy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Byrd wrote on 2021-09-08, 04:09:

Put it in a box ... please?

I just bought TL866 programmer, and realised I also need a ghetto EEPROM wiper - from reports I've read, the cheapo "UV phone steriliser" from Kmart works well. Of course I saw stacks of these for a couple of bucks earlier in the year, thought what a joke, but had to buy one off eBay now!

JB

I'm pretty sure the software for the TL866/ii has the ability to wipe EEPROMs, and actually does so if you go to program/flash anything to the IC. Either that or my Award BIOS chips are, in fact, not eeproms like my walnut brain thought.

EPROM needs this done, though

Win98+DOS: C3 Ezra-T 1.0AGHz / P3-S 1.26GHz, 128MB RAM, AWE64 + Orpheus + Audigy 2 ZS, Ti 4200, 128GB SD card
Win XP SP3: C2Q 9650, 4GB RAM, X-Fi Titanium, GTX 750
PowerMac G4 QS 800MHz + GeForce4 Ti4200, OS 9
PowerMac G5 DP 1.8Ghz + ATi x800 XT, Leopard

Reply 5 of 6, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What a lovely blue glow, makes me want to get a closer look...

I went with swapping out a tube in my old PCB photo resist exposure box since it's fairly light proof. Thought I'd try the original tubes, but they're near UV (UVA?) and didn't manage to flip a single bit after a couple of hours. Swapped one of the tubes for a germicidal one (UVC?), and it worked fine. I haven't tried finding the shortest exposure time. Safety things it's missing are a label (possibly along the lines of 'do not look at laser with remaining eye') and a cut out switch on the lid.