VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Iam still busy with my 386 system, but only made a little progress on it. Had installed my computrend contaq 386_486 motherboard first.
But wasnt happy with how it is installed in my AT computer chassis.. Now i only have 1 point to screw the board fast. And it is a little bit wobbly where the front of the case is.
Also not very happy with the 2 upper 8bit slots.. But the good its still a good responsive motherboard.

If i install a longer motherboard, i can screw it fast on the back and the front.. So less headache for now so can get further on the next steps to come.

So i taken the Elitegroup UM386 and put it on the table to test it out. Had to change the memory strips, because suddenly it gave parity errors on startup (which earlier never happend and the board booted then fine)
After all it is some good now.

But still have some question about this UM386.

1. Is there a undocument option to install 256KB of cache ??

2. is there an other option for the co-processor to install over the weitek or 80387?? I have the IIT and ULSI in own stock.. (which is the faster option)

3. Bios is limited on options. Are there other options to swap with?

4. Is it true that for 0 wait state you need 60NS of memory strips?

5. What do memory read / write hit option in the motherboards bios?

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1 of 6, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Co- processor already installed and present in boot screen. Installed the ULSi one on gamble. Dont have to be the fastest available.. Anything is better then nothing.

Reply 2 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yah IIT, VLSI, Cyrix FasMath, TI are all 80387 equivalents. VLSI is among the faster ones I think.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 6, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is it possible to use 256kb cache on the board.

Why i ask this is because the second row of the ic sockets are empty.

What are the board requirements (setting options) to have 256kb be available )

Reply 4 of 6, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-12, 02:06:

Yah IIT, VLSI, Cyrix FasMath, TI are all 80387 equivalents. VLSI is among the faster ones I think.

ULSI is pretty much the weakest of the bunch - it's just a bit faster than intel 387. Unless it's ULSI DX/DLC then it which will be mid-range just like IIT (actually it has pretty much the same performance). The fastest 387 FPU will be Cyrix FasMath, especially KN variant is way faster than the others.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 5 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's 4th out of the 5 that everybody talk about, missing is Intels first 2 efforts, AMDs intel clone, Cyrixes 2 earlier ones before the Fasmath... put in ALL the actual 387 clones and it's solidly in the top third.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 6, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-12, 23:15:

It's 4th out of the 5 that everybody talk about, missing is Intels first 2 efforts, AMDs intel clone, Cyrixes 2 earlier ones before the Fasmath... put in ALL the actual 387 clones and it's solidly in the top third.

I think CPU Galaxy has the YT video on the topic, he published earlier this year in which he showed actual benchmarks 😀

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg