VOGONS

First post, by MercuryMaurader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently picked up two Micron Millennia Transport laptops. I believe they are referred to as "Micron Millennia Transport P133"s because Micron released a slightly newer version called the Transport XPE with a Pentium MMX 166 MHz processor. Besides picking them both up for a decent price, I've run into a problem. One of them has a fried power board which renders it unusable but the other one powers on perfectly. The only issue is that the CMOS battery is dead and it's one of those laptops where if the CMOS battery is dead, it forgets everything including HDD type, CD-ROM, etc.

I decided to open the dead Transport up but I didn't find any CMOS battery anywhere. I literally tore everything out of the chassis but I couldn't find anything that resembled a CMOS battery. I've replaced plenty of them in the past but I have no idea where the battery could be.

Both laptops came with all their accessories and even a working main battery but it didn't save the CMOS settings after rebooting. I'm at my wits end and it's a shame because the one that works is in great shape. Any advice is appreciated.

Have a great rest of your day,
Mercury

"Speed alone cannot win the race" - Coach Potter

Reply 1 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You might be looking for something a tad smaller than dime sized with heatshrink over it mounted to the board, they can look a bit like a capacitor when they're done like that. Not turning anything up at the usual places for service manuals, am seeing that they were actually manufactured by Sanyo, but not sure if they had a model of their own the same.

edit: there were some fairly low profile, but not unmissable RTC chips around, I assume if it had this text on you'd have pinged it, but could have been scraped or labelled over...
265739d1569339446-ot-replacing-24-pin-soldered-motherboard-battery-pic-129f6b74-c3c7-486d-b76c-5fc32f6e83c6.jpg

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 4, by MercuryMaurader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply.
I'll look over the board sometime tomorrow and see if I see anything resembling what you described.

Reply 4 of 4, by MercuryMaurader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nope, I didn't have a service manual. I had another dead unit so I just took it apart.