VOGONS

Upgrade CPU Gateway P5-75?

Topic actions

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade the CPU on a Gateway P5-75 system? Currently with a pentium 75mhz cpu, obviously.
What would be the max clock speed I could have with a faster CPU? Like, could I put, say, a 150mhz cpu in it?

Reply 1 of 34, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Officially, socket 5 boards would take up to a max of P120, socket 7 up to P200, socket 7 split voltage P233MMX. However, you can fudge things to get better CPUs in, but that's best left to the experienced. Do you know the exact age of the system? If it's a very early P75 we might even be stuck as low as 90, if it's a later one, the P75s in those were very high quality chips, marked down due to market demand, and will run at 100 or even 120 very easily, just by changing the jumpers. Though don't do this unless it's got a reasonable size heatsink on it (Something taller than about 10mm or 3/8 inch)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 34, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-19, 14:23:

Officially, socket 5 boards would take up to a max of P120, socket 7 up to P200, socket 7 split voltage P233MMX. However, you can fudge things to get better CPUs in, but that's best left to the experienced. Do you know the exact age of the system? If it's a very early P75 we might even be stuck as low as 90, if it's a later one, the P75s in those were very high quality chips, marked down due to market demand, and will run at 100 or even 120 very easily, just by changing the jumpers. Though don't do this unless it's got a reasonable size heatsink on it (Something taller than about 10mm or 3/8 inch)

I don't have it yet; it's quite expensive. It's *about* the speed / power I want. An AGP port would have been nice (from the pics I've seen, it doesn't have one; 3 PCI, 4 ISA). 120mhz would be okay; 75mhz isn't a dealbreaker anyway.
I've been trying to find horizontal desktop cases in both AT and ATX; not having much luck, even disregarding price. The Gateway 2000 deskop is such a beautiful case, but a lot more money than a tower AT case I could find to stick a socket 7 motherboard in. But with a working system, it might be worth it. It looks like I could put another motherboard in it if I had to, but I'd rather stick with the original. IF I get it. It doesn't come with the hard drive, which isn't a big deal; I'd probably put a CF card in it instead.
I also have a NOS Gateway Anykey keyboard I could pair with it.

Thanks for the info and advice!

Reply 3 of 34, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That sounds like the Intel 430FX chipset motherboard that was socket 5 up to P120 (The early one was 430NX with a riser eww, and only did P75 and P90)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 34, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hamby wrote on 2021-09-19, 14:46:

[...]

I don't have it yet; it's quite expensive. It's *about* the speed / power I want. An AGP port would have been nice (from the pics I've seen, it doesn't have one; 3 PCI, 4 ISA)

No Pentium 1 would normally come with AGP port, as Intel only introduced them on Slot 1 systems. ALi, SiS and Via did make So7 boards with AGP, but by then they would be paired with K6-2 or MII CPUs at least. Technically you could put a Pentium 100 on one, but it's very unlikely such a system ever shipped.

120mhz would be okay; 75mhz isn't a dealbreaker anyway.

Worst-case you have a fixed 1.5x multiplier with no jumper implemented for 2x. That means max Pentium 100 (1.5x66MHz). If you do have 2x, you go up to P133. In both cases you can circumvent the limitation by manually connecting BF1 CPU pin to ground for 3.0x multiplier, which would let a P200 (non-MMX) run at native speed. Note that a P200 draws 50% more current than a P100, so there's a risk here that the motherboard might not be able to handle it - but we're still only talking 15W, so unlikely.

I've been trying to find horizontal desktop cases in both AT and ATX; not having much luck, even disregarding price. The Gateway 2000 deskop is such a beautiful case, but a lot more money than a tower AT case I could find to stick a socket 7 motherboard in. But with a working system, it might be worth it. It looks like I could put another motherboard in it if I had to, but I'd rather stick with the original. IF I get it. It doesn't come with the hard drive, which isn't a big deal; I'd probably put a CF card in it instead.
I also have a NOS Gateway Anykey keyboard I could pair with it.

Thanks for the info and advice!

I'd definitely stick with the original motherboard. If you want a generic system, there's no point in burning money on this Gateway. Frequently even AT/ATX 'standard' boards in OEM systems had little proprietary touches like front panel connectors. You'd lose that with something else.

Reply 5 of 34, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Surprised that nobody has mentioned the Pentium MMX Overdrive chips which would give you anywhere from 150mhz to 200Mhz depending on the bus speed.

Then there are also other upgrade units whuch could get you up to a minimum of 300Mhz by using an AMD chip that supports a 6x multiplier on the 2x multiplier setting.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 34, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want then...

Also there's this horrendously overpriced option called the Intel Overdrive, which for merely the price of a Super 7 board , K6-2-400 and 64MB SDRAM, and an AGP card, will make your system into a halfassed Pentium MMX

Reply 7 of 34, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would overclock the p75, if it’s a 3.3v part set to 3.5 vrm should be good for 100mhz

Occasionally p75s will support a 2x multiplier

Some antique motherboards had the 68mhz FSB turbo setting or even higher in some cases

Had a couple old p60 motherboards with an incomprehensible 80mhz FSB

Reply 8 of 34, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-20, 01:12:

If you want then...

Also there's this horrendously overpriced option called the Intel Overdrive, which for merely the price of a Super 7 board , K6-2-400 and 64MB SDRAM, and an AGP card, will make your system into a halfassed Pentium MMX

Hah... I have multiple of the Pentium Overdrive chips and didn't spend very much on them at all.

The Pentium MMX Overdrive 200Mhz actually has more cache than the regular Pentium MMX.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 34, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had a P75 PC330 (with the 75-100 board revision)
Threw a spare P133 in and just set the bus settings... 50 to 66, PCI from 2/3 to 1/2 and ISA from 1/6 to 1/8
Ran at 133 no problem, no settings for multiplier available

Reply 11 of 34, by john_popani

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-19, 15:24:

That sounds like the Intel 430FX chipset motherboard that was socket 5 up to P120 (The early one was 430NX with a riser eww, and only did P75 and P90)

Hello,

I hope it's not too late to join this discussion. I have the exact same motherboard and i can only find 1 set of jumpers between the ISA slots, but i don't know what they do. I can't find the user manual for this board as well, so i'm stuck. Does anyone have an idea how to increase the multiplier (if possible) or how to reach that 100mhz ?

Pentium I 133mhz
32MB RAM
AWE64
S3 64v+ / Voodoo 1
DOS 6.22

Reply 12 of 34, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which "exact same motherboard"? OP never got the system, so didn't have an exact ID on the motherboard in it.

Bottom line is what I indicated earlier: modding socket or CPU will let you get higher multipliers even if board lacks the necessary jumpers, but at the risk of drawing more power than the board was designed for.

Reply 13 of 34, by john_popani

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2022-02-13, 10:34:

Which "exact same motherboard"? OP never got the system, so didn't have an exact ID on the motherboard in it.

Bottom line is what I indicated earlier: modding socket or CPU will let you get higher multipliers even if board lacks the necessary jumpers, but at the risk of drawing more power than the board was designed for.

The motherboard from the quote - Intel i430fx, that’s what i get from cpuz

Pentium I 133mhz
32MB RAM
AWE64
S3 64v+ / Voodoo 1
DOS 6.22

Reply 14 of 34, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are a few hundred motherboard models that use the i430FX chipset.

Reply 15 of 34, by john_popani

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-02-13, 14:10:

There are a few hundred motherboard models that use the i430FX chipset.

This is what i found on the motherboard. And these are the only jumpers it has

Attachments

Pentium I 133mhz
32MB RAM
AWE64
S3 64v+ / Voodoo 1
DOS 6.22

Reply 16 of 34, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well the switch table seems to indicate that switch 6 switches between 1.5 and 2x whereas 7 and 8 switch between 50mhz bus speed and 60 Mhz. (Possibly both on gives you 66, but may do nothing)

Reply 17 of 34, by john_popani

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-02-13, 15:30:

Well the switch table seems to indicate that switch 6 switches between 1.5 and 2x whereas 7 and 8 switch between 50mhz bus speed and 60 Mhz. (Possibly both on gives you 66, but may do nothing)

Appologies for the stupid question, but i have absolutely no idea which is which. Can you please simplify the explaination? What do i have to change to increase the multiplier? The bus speed is currently set to 66mhz (saw in the bios).

Pentium I 133mhz
32MB RAM
AWE64
S3 64v+ / Voodoo 1
DOS 6.22

Reply 18 of 34, by john_popani

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
john_popani wrote on 2022-02-13, 15:36:
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-02-13, 15:30:

Appologies for the stupid question, but i have absolutely no idea which is which. Can you please simplify the explaination? What do i have to change to increase the multiplier? The bus speed is currently set to 66mhz (saw in the bios).

I forgot to mention that i found some dipswitches, were you referring to them?

Attachments

Pentium I 133mhz
32MB RAM
AWE64
S3 64v+ / Voodoo 1
DOS 6.22

Reply 19 of 34, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those are them, yes those printed tables on the board tell you everything they do. ... with everything set on like it is in the picture, the CPU would run at 133 if it supported 2x... if you're trying to slow it down to 100 then turn switch 6 off.