VOGONS

First post, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all --

I've been trying to get windows 95 up and running on my Prolinea 5133 with a Pentium MMX Overdrive in it. The problems below don't seem to be related to the Pentium Overdrive though, it does the same thing with a P1-133 in it. It also behaves the same with whatever combination of ram I put in it.

I've got a rage 128 pro that I've been trying to get working -- which admittedly isn't optimal for windows 95. But, no matter the drivers I can't get it to work. If I use somewhat newer drivers, like the ones on vogonsdrivers, I get a BSOD as soon as atisetup loads the splash screen. It doesn't even get to the dialog box. (BSOD is fatal exception 0E @ 0028:C1B0B000 -- although the C1B0B000 seems to depend on the amount of memory installed in the PC at the time). If I force the drivers to install by pointing windows at the INF -- or use the older drivers that don't use an installer and are fully supported on windows 95 -- I'll either get a) windows protection error ... windows must restart on boot, or, b) a message saying that my display adapter isn't configured right and it takes me to the windows settings to lower my resolution.

I tried everything I could think of and came to the conclusion that windows 95 just isn't going to work. So I installed 98SE -- and got the same thing! BSOD trying to launch the drivers. The only difference is that windows 98 tells me that the device can't find a valid/unused I/O space. So I set the card in the bios to a blank setting and set windows manually to the same value, and got a garbled display followed by a reboot. I then tried a fresh windows 98SE install with a Radeon 7000, with the same results.

The Cirrus Logic PCI card built into the motherboard always shows up in device manager -- even if I disable it in bios. There is no hardware jumper. Checkit shows that the memory range for the video bios is correctly reported as belonging to the ATI card. The strangest thing is that the software installer just crashes immediately -- before it really does anything. I'm assuming that the problem is a conflict with the built in video -- I managed to install a S3 Virge GX2 and get the drivers running -- but I got the same 0E BSOD at one point just using windows (after a sleep and wake) -- may not be related.

I've got good voltage out of the PSU but I could have bad ripple, I suppose. That's the next thing to check. This may end up being an onboard video only rig -- but the onboard video is only 1MB so it's not really useful, even for windows.

Any suggestions?

Reply 1 of 4, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yikes, I hate to think that the solution to this would be to scope out those DRAM expansion connector pins, figure out where they went to the 5434 chip and make a plug-in adapter board that fitted two additional SOJ chips...

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 2 of 4, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Eep386 wrote on 2021-09-28, 04:03:

Yikes, I hate to think that the solution to this would be to scope out those DRAM expansion connector pins, figure out where they went to the 5434 chip and make a plug-in adapter board that fitted two additional SOJ chips...

I think I just bought the expansion module on eBay for $20! He said it was an 8MB module but from the model and looking at the picture I think he looked up the modules and it's really an 8Mbit module. It's hard to know for sure until I get it because it was still in the ESD bag so the pictures aren't super good.

*fingers crossed*

Reply 3 of 4, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aspiringnobody wrote on 2021-09-28, 04:43:

I think I just bought the expansion module on eBay for $20! He said it was an 8MB module but from the model and looking at the picture I think he looked up the modules and it's really an 8Mbit module. It's hard to know for sure until I get it because it was still in the ESD bag so the pictures aren't super good.

*fingers crossed*

According to the Compaq QRG, the part number should be either 004120-001 or 171044-001 for the 1MB Cirrus Logic GD5434 upgrade (halfway down the page, under 'Memory')

https://web.archive.org/web/19961226054850/ht … 2/prol5133.html

004120-001.jpg
Filename
004120-001.jpg
File size
37.76 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 4, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-09-28, 08:41:
According to the Compaq QRG, the part number should be either 004120-001 or 171044-001 for the 1MB Cirrus Logic GD5434 upgrade ( […]
Show full quote
aspiringnobody wrote on 2021-09-28, 04:43:

*fingers crossed*

According to the Compaq QRG, the part number should be either 004120-001 or 171044-001 for the 1MB Cirrus Logic GD5434 upgrade (halfway down the page, under 'Memory')

https://web.archive.org/web/19961226054850/ht … 2/prol5133.html

004120-001.jpg

Yeah I'm hoping that's the one. It's still sealed in the bag so it's hard to know if it is until I get it. Hopefully it still works!

This is a bit of a bummer since all my other computers have ATI video... But I guess having one Voodoo machine isn't the end of world. I'd just probably rather it not be the pentium 200 box. I think the voodoo would be a better upgrade for the pentium ii.

I still would like to know why the ati cards aren't working though.