VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@squelch41, YMMV but all I can say is that yes, I've bought a number of (under £40) items from the EU, including electromyne, since the linked regs came into force and I've yet to have any problems with any of the sellers re. correct pricing or labelling / documents. Same is true for the couriers / postal services used, but I'd agree that's more of a crapshoot (tho it probably was before as well).

Reply 21 of 24, by squelch41

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-09-29, 23:16:

@squelch41, YMMV but all I can say is that yes, I've bought a number of (under £40) items from the EU, including electromyne, since the linked regs came into force and I've yet to have any problems with any of the sellers re. correct pricing or labelling / documents. Same is true for the couriers / postal services used, but I'd agree that's more of a crapshoot (tho it probably was before as well).

That's interesting to know - thanks

V4P895P3 VLB Motherboard AMD 486 133MHz
64mb RAM, CF 4Gb HDD,
Realtek 8019 ethernet + XT-IDE bios ROM, ES1869 soundcard, VLB Cirrus Logic GD5428 1mb VGA

440bx MSI 6119, modified slocket , Tualitin Celeron 1.2Ghz 256mb SD-RAM, CF 4GB HDD, FX5200 gfx

Reply 22 of 24, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mR_Slug wrote on 2021-09-28, 20:50:

As far as I can tell they just add a random amount. It's supposed to be 20% VAT. Look at this ebay item:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184914288318

Item is 29.95, import tax $13.16. that's like 40%. (US to UK btw).

As far as I have gathered, the 'import charges' calculations are like this:
(item cost 29.99 + shipping 14.60)x your local VAT rate (20% for the UK) + $4.25 handling fee to the GSP.

So, (29,99+14,60 )x 0,20 + 4.25 = $13.16 (cutting excess decimals/no rounding)

So yes, you do pay VAT on the shipping cost as well.... 😄

PS: When buying from sellers that do NOT use the ebay GSP programme, you only pay regular VAT on the total, as in no extra fees...

Reply 23 of 24, by mR_Slug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bestemor wrote on 2021-10-01, 14:04:

PS: When buying from sellers that do NOT use the ebay GSP programme, you only pay regular VAT on the total, as in no extra fees...

VAT on the shipping cost makes me want to say something I should probably censor😄

You say "only pay regular VAT on the total" do you mean at ebay checkout time? Because once you ship it into the UK you end up paying VAT + handling fee at that point always. GSP is all upfront payment.

I've used a reshipper myUS.com i think. YMMV with it, it's ok but i had some damaged parts. Don't think i paid VAT on the shipping within the US, but got a bill from the shipping company when I imported it. Not quite sure how that ended up being calculated.

The Retro Web | EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Reply 24 of 24, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mR_Slug wrote on 2021-10-01, 19:47:
bestemor wrote on 2021-10-01, 14:04:

You say "only pay regular VAT on the total" do you mean at ebay checkout time? Because once you ship it into the UK you end up paying VAT + handling fee at that point always. GSP is all upfront payment.

Yes, what I meant was, that the calculations (and PRE-payment of the VAT) were the same as for when using the GSP, but without the actual GSP fee added to the cost/payment....
So, you still pay 20% extra on the total cost (item+shipping cost) at checkout, and then nothing* else when the package arrives at the shores of Blighty.

As you still are forced, by ebay, to pre-pay the VAT at checkout, nomatter which shipping option you use. So if there is no GSP, the item cost still increases with 20%. You can test this with some chinese goods. Just find any such item, and play with the country in the shipping cost tab. When you change it to the UK, the price increases in the listing(!) itself, before any checkout etc.
Example: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131650509577
(listing says: $21.99 to USA/no VAT, $27.49 to Denmark/25%VAT, and finally $26.39 to UK/20% VAT)

*: Provided of course, that the seller actually uses ebay for the address label, which automatically adds some text about 'paid' and VOEC. Or is experienced enough to put it on himself.

Not like some German company sellers who print out an invoice with no mention of this, and attaches to the outside of the package.
Then you get hassled at local customs, and I had to provide** a copy of the EBAY invoice before they believed me having pre-paid the VAT.
First then they released the package, with no payment needed, not even handling fee.
As you say, YMMV.... 😆

**PS: In my parts of the world, you'll have to do this BEFORE you at all pick up the package or pay the VAT and handling fee they wrongly demands.
Otherwise you'll end up with having to go through some bureaucratic battle to get a partial*** refund, of just the VAT itself, which often makes the refund amount ending up as zero even then, because they require a new processing fee for handling your refund application. Gah....
(*** and the added £12 original handling fee you stupidly paid, does not get refunded then anyway, as that is payment for their dilligent work calculating the (double) VAT in the first place, heh..)