VOGONS

First post, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good day,

I am in the process of building a new retro rig for the purpose of primarily playing Win 9x games between the years 1996 - 2001 and some late DOS games. Have shortlisted the following specs:

Intel SE440BX2
PIII 450Mhz
256MB RAM
MX440 128 MB
80 GB IDE HD
Yamaha YMF 719

Would be installing either Win 95 or 98 with a dual boot to XP primarily to copy content using usb drive. I am more interested in the MIDI the ISA cards (SB 16/Yamaha YMF series) provided with Win 9x games. To be specific, the MIDI music for games such as Road Rash, Fire Fight sounded much nicer on the 9X systems with ISA cards (different sound fonts perhaps? Could someone please throw some light on this?). I could not get the same MIDI effect with even SB Live on Win 98. Need your guidance if the above would be (close to) an ideal config for the above period and to achieve the expected MIDI synthesis. Thanks!

Last edited by stealthjoe on 2021-10-05, 08:35. Edited 2 times in total.

Intel 845GEBV2, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz, Geforce FX5600 256MB, 512MB RAM, 160GB HDD, Sound Blaster Live! SB0100 - Win 98/XP

Reply 2 of 18, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The mobo is a solid choice, wish I could find one in good health!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 3 of 18, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerry wrote on 2021-10-05, 07:55:

looks good enough to meet all requirements as is, no need for XP if you can use the win 98 usb driver

Seconded.

No need for XP at all unless you just want it, and that is fine if you do....but it won't run XP well at all.

Reply 4 of 18, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you all for your replies. As there is no voodoo card, how well do you think the above specs can handle glide wrappers? Any performance impact?

Intel 845GEBV2, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz, Geforce FX5600 256MB, 512MB RAM, 160GB HDD, Sound Blaster Live! SB0100 - Win 98/XP

Reply 5 of 18, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe it was generally recommended to use 1Ghz upwards as bare minimum, and 1.5Ghz plus for preference. In theory some will run with the most basic MMX and SSE support, maybe you'd be okay playing older stuff at lower res. Things that ran okay on half the CPU per se.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 18, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stealthjoe wrote on 2021-10-05, 02:29:

I am more interested in the MIDI the ISA cards (SB 16/Yamaha YMF series) provided with Win 9x games. To be specific, the MIDI music for games such as Road Rash, Fire Fight sounded much nicer on the 9X systems with ISA cards (different sound fonts perhaps? Could someone please throw some light on this?). I could not get the same MIDI effect with even SB Live on Win 98. Need your guidance if the above would be (close to) an ideal config for the above period and to achieve the expected MIDI synthesis. Thanks!

It's hard to know without knowing exactly what your particular listening experience was. The ISA cards you mention do not provide General MIDI without one of the following additions:

- A wavetable daughterboard
- An external MIDI module connected to the gameport
- Onboard wavetable ROM (some ISA cards have this, but an SB16 doesn't)

On the other hand, an SB Live in Windows does provide General MIDI with some help from software.

I wonder if the music you're used to is actually the OPL3 rendition, which those ISA cards will provide by default - and an SB Live will not. If that's the case and you want to replicate this experience on a PCI card, a Yamaha YMF7x4 is the way to go. An ESS Solo-1 would be the second choice.

Reply 7 of 18, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2021-10-06, 03:47:
It's hard to know without knowing exactly what your particular listening experience was. The ISA cards you mention do not provid […]
Show full quote
stealthjoe wrote on 2021-10-05, 02:29:

I am more interested in the MIDI the ISA cards (SB 16/Yamaha YMF series) provided with Win 9x games. To be specific, the MIDI music for games such as Road Rash, Fire Fight sounded much nicer on the 9X systems with ISA cards (different sound fonts perhaps? Could someone please throw some light on this?). I could not get the same MIDI effect with even SB Live on Win 98. Need your guidance if the above would be (close to) an ideal config for the above period and to achieve the expected MIDI synthesis. Thanks!

It's hard to know without knowing exactly what your particular listening experience was. The ISA cards you mention do not provide General MIDI without one of the following additions:

- A wavetable daughterboard
- An external MIDI module connected to the gameport
- Onboard wavetable ROM (some ISA cards have this, but an SB16 doesn't)

On the other hand, an SB Live in Windows does provide General MIDI with some help from software.

I wonder if the music you're used to is actually the OPL3 rendition, which those ISA cards will provide by default - and an SB Live will not. If that's the case and you want to replicate this experience on a PCI card, a Yamaha YMF7x4 is the way to go. An ESS Solo-1 would be the second choice.

Hello Pierre32! Yes!! I believe it is the OPL3 that I experienced with the ISA sound card many years ago. I had an OPL3-SAx Yamaha ISA card (YMF series. Not sure which specific model it was) with my first computer. Also I remember not having attached any wavetable daughterboard or an external MIDI module connected. It was a Pentium 200MMX, 32 MB RAM, Socket7 which was sold off several years ago (still regret the decision). Have attached 2 samples of the game music just to give an overview of what the listening experience was. The first clip is exactly how my experience was with the Yamaha sound card. It was actually recorded with the game running under Win 95 in Pcem (with SB 16 configured). The second one is how my experience is with a SB Live card (similar to a modern AC'97 card).

Filename
Road rash pcem.mp3
File size
648 KiB
Downloads
31 downloads
File license
Public domain
Filename
Road rash new.mp3
File size
515.2 KiB
Downloads
28 downloads
File license
Public domain

Let me know your thoughts on this! Thanks.

Reply 8 of 18, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, that's definitely glorious FM in the first sample, and General MIDI in the second one. A lot of us spend a lot of money chasing down different MIDI devices because you know, it's "better." But the best version is often the one our memories are attached to. And sometimes a good FM rendition actually wipes the floor with the MIDI version.

The good news is, the spec list you've outlined in the OP will deliver the sound you're after. If you ever find yourself working with a PCI-only system, you can refer to my previous post for card recommendations.

I've now been inspired to fire up my 98 box, sans MIDI 😁

Reply 9 of 18, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Opening up your options some of the P2/P3 era Dell XPS Txx may be a good option.
They used Intel SE440BX3 motherboard, (OEM version SE440BX2) with Yamaha YMF chip onboard.
The plus side you'll actually get XG Midi, kind of like a inbuilt Midi card. The negative is it's on the PCI bus so not much use in pure dos, but within Win9x it's fine.
If your also installing a SB16 then you can use that for pure dos anyway.

Biggest drawback though is the ATX connector isn't standard, adapters are available or you its an easy fix if your handy with a soldering iron
A Permanent Solution to the Dell 'Fake ATX' Power Supply Problem?

Reply 10 of 18, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2021-10-06, 10:58:
Opening up your options some of the P2/P3 era Dell XPS Txx may be a good option. They used Intel SE440BX3 motherboard, (OEM vers […]
Show full quote

Opening up your options some of the P2/P3 era Dell XPS Txx may be a good option.
They used Intel SE440BX3 motherboard, (OEM version SE440BX2) with Yamaha YMF chip onboard.
The plus side you'll actually get XG Midi, kind of like a inbuilt Midi card. The negative is it's on the PCI bus so not much use in pure dos, but within Win9x it's fine.
If your also installing a SB16 then you can use that for pure dos anyway.

Biggest drawback though is the ATX connector isn't standard, adapters are available or you its an easy fix if your handy with a soldering iron
A Permanent Solution to the Dell 'Fake ATX' Power Supply Problem?

Hello chinny22. Actually the seller first offered me one SE-443BX board. Thinking it was an OEM board, refused it. Thinking if it could be the same as the one you have mentioned above. Probably would have to recheck again on the onboard sound chip!

Last edited by stealthjoe on 2021-10-08, 03:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 18, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2021-10-06, 06:58:

Yep, that's definitely glorious FM in the first sample, and General MIDI in the second one. A lot of us spend a lot of money chasing down different MIDI devices because you know, it's "better." But the best version is often the one our memories are attached to. And sometimes a good FM rendition actually wipes the floor with the MIDI version.

The good news is, the spec list you've outlined in the OP will deliver the sound you're after. If you ever find yourself working with a PCI-only system, you can refer to my previous post for card recommendations.

Thanks for letting me know. I am also interested in understanding how good would an ISA sound card be compatible with Daemon Tools. Currently I am able to get the SB Live card to work with DT. Does an ISA card require a physical CD/DVD drive and an analog audio cable to get CD music working?

I've now been inspired to fire up my 98 box, sans MIDI 😁

A good decision indeed!! 😀

Reply 12 of 18, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stealthjoe wrote on 2021-10-08, 02:44:

Hello chinny22. Actually the seller first offered me one SE-443BX board. Thinking it was an OEM board, refused it. Thinking if it could be the same as the one you have mentioned above. Probably would have to recheck again on the onboard sound chip!

Not sure I'd want the board itself as the front panel connectors aren't standard either. I do have a link saved somewhere of how to mod a case for standard motherboard so it cant be that hard to go the other way round though?

Only other company I know that used OEM Intel BX boards was Gateway but they had the much less desirable Ensonic 1373/SB PCI64 chip so may have still been a good call.

Reply 13 of 18, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2021-10-06, 03:47:

If that's the case and you want to replicate this experience on a PCI card, a Yamaha YMF7x4 is the way to go. An ESS Solo-1 would be the second choice.

Hi! I recently got a YMF724 and tried using it in my current PC (in signature). However, I am getting a BSOD as given below when the system is installing Yamaha legacy drivers under 98:

bsod.jpeg
Filename
bsod.jpeg
File size
118.65 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Any idea on how to fix this issue?

Reply 16 of 18, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Could some one please let me know the difference/performance impact if a 550Mhz P3 is used instead of 450Mhz P3 for the above config and timeline? Basically don't want to go overboard in terms of speed so as to account for some CPU bound games. Please let me know your thoughts? Thanks!!

Reply 17 of 18, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Going from a Katmai 450 to 550 you'll notice very little difference at all, slightly faster load times, etc but 100Mhz isn't much of an upgrade in real terms.
If the upgrade is free I'd do it but if you have to buy the CPU I'd be looking to get a 600Mhz to get more bang for you buck.

Now if your talking about upgrading to a Coppermine 550 and more importantly its faster L2 cache it may indeed be worth the upgrade.
but for your time frame I wouldn't call any Slot 1 P3 "overboard" never a bad thing for Windows/games to load that little bit quicker

Reply 18 of 18, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks chinny22. Had requested for the 500+ Mhz processor just in case. The seller was fine to do so with the same cost. Also getting one additional P2 233 Mhz for better DOS compatibility.