VOGONS

First post, by pavel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all!

Just found some interesting piece of retro at my workplace.

It's based on SiS 85C471 chipset and has 3 VLBs, 8 slots of 30-pin SIMMs, AMI BIOS of 08/08/1993 and other classical things of 486 processor.
Yep, it runs perfectly. But i can't find this type of motherboard on the Internet.

The BIOS tells it's 4FGSD-2.0 motherboard. But i found nothing about this type of board.
The same inscription found on the textolite on the left bottom corner.

I've also dumped the BIOS from EEPROM.

So, please take a look at the photo in the attachment.

Thanks in advance for helping.

UPD.: It's Modula Tech motherboard, probably Chaintech 486SLB clone. Looking for the BIOS ROM for original Chaintech 486SLB to do some experiments.

Attachments

Last edited by pavel on 2021-10-14, 14:43. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 3 of 6, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

32-pin simms? I've read about them in here, but never seen one (30 and 72 pin being the norm)

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 4 of 6, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm counting only 30 pins on those simm slots.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 5 of 6, by pavel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote on 2021-10-07, 07:36:

What does the BIOS ID string state on the POST screen (bottom left hand corner)?

Bad luck. That's not starting anymore after i've unmounted it from the case. Trying to make it alive again.
I've found the following string that pretended to be shown on the POST screen: 40-0100-001266-00101111-080893-SIS471B.

debs3759 wrote on 2021-10-07, 18:17:

32-pin simms? I've read about them in here, but never seen one (30 and 72 pin being the norm)

weedeewee wrote on 2021-10-07, 19:20:

I'm counting only 30 pins on those simm slots.

Well, guys, i've made mistake. Sorry. Of course, it's 30 pins on those SIMMs.

Reply 6 of 6, by pavel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Seems it's motherboard from Modula Tech. There is no information about this model on the Internet.

Seems, something went wrong with BIOS EEPROM chip for this motherboard. Just ordered new rewritable EEPROMs from Aliexpress and will try to put the old firmware.

So, we've put an EEPROM from 4DVS motherboard that also based on SiS 85C471 chipset. And now it runs perfectly! How is it even possible?

Both BIOSes by AMI but 4DVS is newer one and has the graphical interface with mouse support.

We also would like to try to run it on Chaintech 486SLB Award BIOS. Just because it seems that the motherboard is the clone of Chaintech. And i think the difference is only with BIOSes.

Is it possible to find somewhere Chaintech 486SLB BIOS ROM?