VOGONS

Reply 40 of 44, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update:

They refunded me. The only Voodoo II but it was a 12MB version and the list price was €300. I didn't want to pay the difference.

I just noticed a possible crack or deep scratch on the back of the pcb so let's hope it's the latter.

Reply 42 of 44, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-10-08, 17:06:

congrats on getting it working!

Something is still wrong... If I run 3dmark 99 MAX the voodoo locks up the system after the end of the fps benchmark.

If I use ctrl alt delete twice to reboot, the system restarts (can hear beep) but the output of the video card stays frozen on the image of 3dmark.

I have to power cycle the pc to get the 2d image back.

Reply 43 of 44, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just speculation as I don't know the card at all, but is there some equivalent of the relay on the original Voodoo for switching between 3D and 2D? Looking at the parts list thread that Weedeewee linked to, there's at least one tri-state buffer (U32 74F125) and one 2*5bit analogue switch (U10 PI5C3384Q). U10 in particular is over near the input/output, so likely something to do with what actually gets driven to the screen. Perhaps that switch isn't switching properly?

[edit: I forgot that it's still an input/output on the connectors]

Reply 44 of 44, by Backfire_67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Please excuse the late response.
Most of the Voodoo 2 cards with this behaviour that I have had for repair have had a thermal problem.

Considering the age of the cards, it is quite possible that one of the chips is thermally sensitive and will malfunction above a certain temperature. You can check this by trying other Glide applications such as Donut Demo or UT Intro, Q3 Demo etc...
If it behaves the same, it is probably the temperature.

You could also check the card mechanically by bending it slightly in different directions during operation. It should not lock up in the process.

My suspicion:
CK FBI
Gendac (most likely)
Bus Switch (possibly)

- Backfire -

Repair of 3dfx Devices and Soundcards with passion...
Here you can find more