VOGONS

First post, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got an Asus P3B-F build pulled from a 'Working Windows XP gaming PC’ (advertised as a Pentium II 800Mhz + Asus P3B-F + 512MB RAM) InWin S-500 build I got off eBay a couple of months back. I'm facing a few issues:

- In the bios (latest 1008 beta), there is the option of 533Mhz or 800Mhz settings which result in yielding either a Celeron II 800Mhz or 1200Mhz in the boot up screen. I've been out of the Award Bios 1995-1999 world for some time now there's no doubt about that.
- I took apart the Upgradeware Slot-T to clean, repaste with MX-4 and zip tie a Noctua A6x25 and lo and behold, this is not your usual, advertised Celeron 800Mhz but seemingly a Celeron 1300Mhz 256kb 100Mhz SL6C7 (side note: is this a Tualaron? Happy dance if it is). Pics attached.

Would someone be able to recommend the correct voltage, timings and whatnot settings for this build to gracefully hit 1300Mhz?

The more serious issue is this - the build has problems. Here's what's happened so far:

- Mid install of Windows XP SP1 (pristine, unopened Gateway OEM copy + burned clean copy of XP that came bundled with the computer) no matter what disc it is, Windows setup will fail to copy over certain install files. I suspect it's a faulty, misfiring CD-ROM laser but then realised I encountered no such issues installing Windows 98 FE, SE, or NT 4.0 and all their subsequent service packs off CD over the last few weeks using the same CD-ROM drive. I switch out the CD-ROM for another vintage unit and the issue reappears at roughly the same setup point. I get a blue screen once.

-I swap out RAM sticks for known working ones, clean the CPU and the Slot T contacts. I put in a fresh CMOS battery.
- I leave the bios set to 533Mhz. It still happens.
- I change VGA cards from a Millenium II AGP to an ELSA Winner S3 Trio 3D and test over again. Same problems.

Running out of spare parts, I decide to try installing XP onto the HDD (a 9.1GB Maxtor) using the working P2L97-DS I know is good to see if it's a HDD issue instead of the CD-ROM. I fly through the setup without issue. XP boots fine and I swap out the MB again for the P3B-F and fire it up. It hangs and never gets into Windows.

** I'm thinking the biggest variable here is I have never used a slotket before and I either have a dodgy motherboard, CPU or slotket - or simply the wrong bios settings. The bizarre thing with file copy errors during Windows setup is a curveball - is it the IDE controller?

Baffled and hoping for an easy BIOS setting solution 😉

Attachments

Last edited by pixelatedscraps on 2021-10-14, 07:16. Edited 2 times in total.

My ultimate dual 440LX / Voodoo2 SLI build

Reply 2 of 6, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can you believe I completely overlooked my 333Mhz Deschutes would work perfectly fine in the P3B-F? Right, that’s the first thing to do this morning after making coffee. I’ll report back.

EDIT: Nope, same issue. Right before Windows boot up, the system freezes every time using either one of the Deschutes chips as well.

Reply 3 of 6, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does it have the newest bios release flashed? There could be a bug causing issues with the IDE controller. Do you have a pci IDE card to try to use? And have you tried a different HDD? Maybe try finding the latest IDE controller driver and loading it up while installing a fresh copy of windows.

Sorry just spit balling. Edit, further spitball : Could the caps be dried out and causing issues? Id consider that a last resort. Heck maybe even a different PSU, Iv had a few motherboards from different eras just misbehave with certain power supplies causing weird USB and HDD detection, bios glitches or just zero boot.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4 of 6, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your cpu: https://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL6C7.html
Core voltage is 1.5V

Setting it to "manual" and put cpu multi to 13 and frequency to 100?
Result?

Underclocking shouldn't be an issue, could be, as suggested, a BIOS issue.
Try reflashing if last version or upgrade if not.

Edit, could you please post high res pics of the cpu froont/back + cpu slotcket + motherboard?
A cpu issue is not necessarily cpu related.
Hard drive is known to be good?

Have you tried memtest?

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 5 of 6, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Memtest passed on three out of four sticks I had, I've set aside the bad one along with some other stuff for e-waste recycling.

In the end, after endless swapping of components and my P2L97-DS board, I managed to get it running by reinstalling XP directly onto the Maxtor drive using the P3B-F and the CPU set to 1337Mhz (the only setting in the bios is 103Mhz) at 1.5v. Very strange but I can only think it was a config error from when I did the previous XP install onto the P2L97 that was preventing it from booting. I literally swapped every other component out - thankfully it wasn't a hardware issue.

So now I've got a fully functioning P3B-F running 1008-004 beta bios and a 1.3Ghz Celeron SL6C7 - which if research proves correct, is a Tualaron 😀

Thanks for all the tips - I wouldn't have been as thorough without you guys.

Reply 6 of 6, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder how you have configured the blue dipswitch and the jumper-free (JEN) jumper on the motherboard ? Choosing FSB 100 should be possible.
Re. the memory, ASUS bx boards are known to sometimes misbehave with 4 sticks installed, especially with 4x 256 sticks.