VOGONS

First post, by maa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys,
I've just got a 6800gt, everything seems to be ok with Windows 2000, I tried the card with Need for Speed Underground 2 to see if the card perform well, and it was perfect for me.
I previously used a 6600gt with a Sony G500 and the colors were great. This time it's a little bit different... I can see a very blue tint but not only in Windows, even in bios eveything is very blue (I feel like the red is missing).
In bios, the selected option is black and not red (see photos) and the energy logo is green, not yellow.
I put back my old 6600gt and everything was completely fine, I tried again and same problem...
That 6800gt came with a Zalman fan that I need to plug on the 5 or 12v if I remember.
And again, except that problem, the card is running extremely well so what do you think? I've also tried with VGA connector and DVI connector, tested other cables, different agp aperture size and the problem still)

I really don't know if the card is dead or if I can do something 🙁

Attachments

• 2.jpeg
    Filename
    2.jpeg
    File size
    1.5 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1.jpeg
    Filename
    1.jpeg
    File size
    1000.59 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 15, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maa wrote on 2021-10-15, 10:35:
Hello guys, I've just got a 6800gt, everything seems to be ok with Windows 2000, I tried the card with Need for Speed Undergroun […]
Show full quote

Hello guys,
I've just got a 6800gt, everything seems to be ok with Windows 2000, I tried the card with Need for Speed Underground 2 to see if the card perform well, and it was perfect for me.
I previously used a 6600gt with a Sony G500 and the colors were great. This time it's a little bit different... I can see a very blue tint but not only in Windows, even in bios eveything is very blue (I feel like the red is missing).
In bios, the selected option is black and not red (see photos) and the energy logo is green, not yellow.
I put back my old 6600gt and everything was completely fine, I tried again and same problem...
That 6800gt came with a Zalman fan that I need to plug on the 5 or 12v if I remember.
And again, except that problem, the card is running extremely well so what do you think? I've also tried with VGA connector and DVI connector, tested other cables, different agp aperture size and the problem still)

I really don't know if the card is dead or if I can do something 🙁

Hello.

It looks like you're using a tube monitor (this one?), which means the image transmission is analog.
Since the image appears normal with another video card, we can rule out the issue being with the monitor itself or with the cable (although you do want to check the pins/connection when you plug your monitor into the video card).

If the analog output of the video card is indeed failing, you will see the tint in every image at every resolution and refresh rate. You may be able to compensate by using the color controls in the video card settings (by adjusting the colors/saturation there), though this will only help in Windows, or in some cases by adjusting them from the monitor (this will apply globally).

I'm not technical enough to be able to tell you, how to actually repair the card - but if it performs to expectations without crashing, likely getting the color output corrected isn't a huge ordeal.

Oh and also, if the card only has digital outputs and you have to use a DVI->VGA adapter, you'll want to swap those just to rule out a problem with the adapter.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 2 of 15, by maa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes I'm using that tube monitor. But the 6800gt is supposed to be analog too I think.
I just tried with another monitor, a Benq lcd with VGA and I have no image at all... 😒

Do you think it can change something if I flash the gpu bios?

Reply 5 of 15, by maa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-10-15, 15:23:

I guess something in the analog signal path on the card is bad. Most likely within the red signal.
Do you have a DVI-I to VGA adaptor? Maybe the colours are correct on the DVI output.

The seller told me he did all test with an adapter (vga/dvi to... with a modern monitor) without any problems, here I only have a real dvi-i (i guess) to vga, and my vga cable is a d-sub... I don't know if there is a difference with a classic vga cable because it's perfectly working with my 6600gt.
I tried to take the best photos possible and you can see something like a small "burned" thing on the pcb.

Attachments

• 68001.jpeg
    Filename
    68001.jpeg
    File size
    1.78 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 68003.jpeg
    Filename
    68003.jpeg
    File size
    1.5 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 68002.jpeg
    Filename
    68002.jpeg
    File size
    1.43 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 68004.jpeg
    Filename
    68004.jpeg
    File size
    1.34 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 68005.jpeg
    Filename
    68005.jpeg
    File size
    1.59 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 6 of 15, by maa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some others pictures

Attachments

• 68006.jpeg
    Filename
    68006.jpeg
    File size
    1.34 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 68007.jpeg
    Filename
    68007.jpeg
    File size
    1.07 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 68008.jpeg
    Filename
    68008.jpeg
    File size
    1.94 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 68009.jpeg
    Filename
    68009.jpeg
    File size
    1.77 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 7 of 15, by ST251

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I found the problem. look at image 68004, there's something missing near the marking that reads "L514"

and then in another photo the same component is missing near the marking "L511"

I'm assuming they're both inductors

Reply 9 of 15, by ST251

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
majestyk wrote on 2021-10-15, 17:17:

L511 and L514 have 4 soldering pads each, I think they are transformers - or double-inductors.
They have been removed by force - let´s hope no traces have been damaged.

unfortunately both missing components have pulled one trace each off of the board.

511 took the lower right and 514 took the upper right

Reply 10 of 15, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The missing traces can be restored. A very good magnifying glass and very thin wires (plus decent soldering skills) are your friends.
But first you have to find replacement transformers, I assume they are used for galvanic decoupling of the output signals.

Last edited by majestyk on 2021-10-15, 17:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 15, by maa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sounds bad to me 🙁 Is it possible to fix that?
So that means the seller just fake all the tests?
He ask me if I want to return the card or keep it for a partial refund so...

I have absolutely no skills in soldering so it's probably better to return the card.
Thank you so much for your feedback guys! 😀
You have the perfect eye to see those things 😁
Thank you thank you !

Last edited by maa on 2021-10-15, 17:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 15, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As suspected those are coils/inductors meant to improve the signal integrity on the analog red colour signal. Missing the inductors means the red signal is missing completely on the VGA/DVI port.
Interesting how on both the VGA and DVI the inductor of the red signal was ripped off. It doesn't look like they were unsoldered for spare parts though, just ripped off.
If the seller used the digital DVI signal he probably wouldn't have noticed any problem so there's a good chance he didn't know. The digital signal should be unaffected by this. I wouldn't suspect any foul play.
Anyway, good on you for getting a refund. 👍

Reply 15 of 15, by maa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I might be naive but I think the seller was honest when he said he tested with an adapter.
I also checked the photos before shipping and they were missing... Thats probably why he accepted the refund so quickly 😀