Trouble with Mice on my SOYO 4SA2

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote on 2021-10-17, 23:56:

It made the most sense to me, one has pins going 12345 6789 on DB9 end, and other 13579 2468, one is sequential, other is staggered... Easy to tell when you lift back the shroud on the DB9 side and that's where the naming came from.

Yes, but the ambiguity comes from the fact that the opposite is true if you consider the pin numbering of the Dupont header

Reply 21 of 24, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-10-18, 01:00:
Tiido wrote on 2021-10-17, 23:56:

It made the most sense to me, one has pins going 12345 6789 on DB9 end, and other 13579 2468, one is sequential, other is staggered... Easy to tell when you lift back the shroud on the DB9 side and that's where the naming came from.

Yes, but the ambiguity comes from the fact that the opposite is true if you consider the pin numbering of the Dupont header

^^^ This exactly 🤣

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 22 of 24, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The dupont header is visually same on both sides and one isn't gonna determine anything there without starting to measure stuff (though sometimes you can see the fat trace going to middle of the header), so it wasn't even a consideration as far as naming went, but the DB9 end is easily visible without starting to measure anything and it made sense. Sequential or staggered wires attached to the connector.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 23 of 24, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not getting caught like that again...and priced up the bits I'd need to make a second socket/interface for an serial mouse on the Soyo mobo ..or indeed any other mobo that used this non standard older config..
The price for the parts was about £10 with the shrouds and sockets etc..but in the search process I found this..
So grabbed one...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352194088184?hash= … zwAAOSwbdpWYr9f
I guess I will just use a convertional backplate port and connect in line with the mouse externally ...and should make conversion easy... using short dupont jumper leads.
rgds
VS