VOGONS

First post, by Stormkoko934

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I'm having a problem where I want to use my ide to sd card adapter for my windows 98 pc but creating a partition using fdisk doesn't work and just gives me the error windows 98 has detected that drive c does not contain a valid fat or fat32 partition. checking fdisk it says there are no partitions after restarting the computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply 2 of 4, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try FDISK /MBR from command line and restart, that should work.
If not, fill the 1st mega byte with 0 using an hexadecimal editor, then recreate the partition.

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.

Reply 3 of 4, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have to admit that I am too retarded to ever have managed to put a partition table onto a SD card using an OS from Redmond.
Just put the SD card into a modern computer, boot a Linux live CD, set up the partitions and format them (yes, because some Redmond OSes cannot even do format a FAT partition...).
Ideally activate the partition also on Linux, as Redmond OSes love to refuse to do this, too.

Just in case, may I point at the FDISK /CMBR option too, it is useful if you want to set up the card on a computer without floppy.

Reply 4 of 4, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You didn't mention which was the capacity size of that SD card.

retardware wrote on 2021-10-18, 16:52:

I have to admit that I am too retarded to ever have managed to put a partition table onto a SD card using an OS from Redmond.
Just put the SD card into a modern computer, boot a Linux live CD, set up the partitions and format them (yes, because some Redmond OSes cannot even do format a FAT partition...).
Ideally activate the partition also on Linux, as Redmond OSes love to refuse to do this, too.

Windows should not have problems formatting FAT partitions and there is an officially updated version of FDISK which allows larger FAT32 partitions (the one that comes with Windows 98 by default has bugs with >64GB), one must search for 263044usa8.exe.

There are two different versions inside that file and one must be renamed into FDISK.EXE:

• FDISK.98G: For the original edition of Windows 98.
  • FDISK.98S: For Windows 98 SE.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS