VOGONS

First post, by gedbag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I've recently acquired a supposedly unused Enermax EG365AX-VE for potential use in a retro PC. Upon arrival I wanted to check inside to see the general condition of the power supply. It looked pretty good but one thing seemed a little off. There is this white tower like component which I assume has (or had) a sheet of plastic shielding glued to it.

img_34569ej4y.jpeg img_3457pqkot.jpeg

Anyone come across something like this before? Is this just just old glue that's turned dark? It looks almost burned.

img_345991j9g.jpeg

Any idea what that white tower component may be? Any possibility it leaked and caused this?

I'd be thankful for any pointers! Thanks.

Reply 1 of 3, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like a typical high power resistor, so plenty of chance it can and will get hot whilst the psu is in use.

so yeah, probably just a dab of nicely cooked by the resistor glue that held the plastic seperator in place...

also... no chance of that leaking.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 3, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gedbag wrote on 2021-10-22, 13:39:

Is this just just old glue that's turned dark? It looks almost burned.

It is burned. This dark brown is not "natural".
The smoke condensation is evident, like the extremely high temperatures that made this (quite heat-resistant) plastic melt and deform.

So I suppose that this unit has not been used for long, basically put back into the packaging after it turned out to smell awfully.

This seems to be one of the Enermaxes that are so cramped that practically all insides suffered from extreme thermal stress, especially in conjunction with low fan speeds.
Personally I won't use such PSUs, especially if they smell of hot electronics almost cooked to the point of magic smoking.

Reply 3 of 3, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Resistor is fine, it is the glue that was tan in color and pliable. When this glue ages with time, it is not the heat it darkens to this hard, crumbling brown color. What worse if glue is touching the components' metal leads, tend to leak electricity.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.