Yamaha YMF724 on i845

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote on 2021-10-25, 18:43:

TO clarify somthing about prince of persia. That game uses IRQ 7 not 5 and I don't think you can change that. Just felt like I needed to repeat myself. So ya IRQ 5 isnt going to work for that game. You might find a lot of guides out there of people saying oh IRQ 5 about everything becasue that is the defualt port SBlasters used. But thats not really right. Pretty much every game lets you use IrQ 7 as well, and some games like prince of persia are hard coded for 7. So ya dont fall victim to that. Also you might need to use the XG pure Dos drivers for that one, not sure I'll test it out later.

you clarified what i was trying to say too thanks 😀

Reply 21 of 27, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

TO clarify somthing about prince of persia. That game uses IRQ 7 not 5 and I don't think you can change that.

Both the first and the second game from the 1995 Prince of Persia CD collection (Mobygames entry) work fine with IRQ 5. Not sure about the earlier floppy versions though.

Prince2.jpg
Filename
Prince2.jpg
File size
318.89 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I do know of at least one game which is hardcoded to IRQ 7 - Gods from 1991. However, that one was made before the SBPro was released and IRQ 5 became the standard. From my understanding, such games are the exception, rather than the norm.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 22 of 27, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I believe its the original floppy version is IRQ 7

Great Hierophant wrote on 2016-06-19, 14:44:

Drivers for the SB Pro are not going to help you here, Prince of Persia uses its own internal driver to communicate with your cards. Except for a very few games, you do not need to install the drivers for the SB Pro in DOS, although the mixer control comes in handy.

If the game crashes right as it is playing the first digital sound effect, either you have an IRQ/DMA issue or a faulty card. Set your Pro to I/O 220, IRQ 7 and DMA 1. Make sure your SET BLASTER=A200 I7 D1 T4 is set in AUTOEXEC.BAT.

I tested it on a XG in pure DOS with the floppy version and confirmed this.

Reply 23 of 27, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-10-25, 20:21:
Both the first and the second game from the 1995 Prince of Persia CD collection (Mobygames entry) work fine with IRQ 5. Not sure […]
Show full quote

TO clarify somthing about prince of persia. That game uses IRQ 7 not 5 and I don't think you can change that.

Both the first and the second game from the 1995 Prince of Persia CD collection (Mobygames entry) work fine with IRQ 5. Not sure about the earlier floppy versions though.

Prince2.jpg

I do know of at least one game which is hardcoded to IRQ 7 - Gods from 1991. However, that one was made before the SBPro was released and IRQ 5 became the standard. From my understanding, such games are the exception, rather than the norm.

That's exactly what I want to say, press 'M' key can modify the IRQ. I don't know about the floppy version either.🤣

BTW I installed 98 without 724 plugged in, now I have hard time to get it a proper IRQ for DS-XG legacy sound system. I disabled one USB hub which is occupying IRQ 5, but IRQ5 is still used by ACPI irq steering. I'm gonna reinstall 98 now.

Toshiba Satellite Pro 4300 - YMF744, Savage IX
Toshiba Satellite 2805-S501 - YMF754, GeForce 2Go
IBM Thinkpad A21p - CS4624, Mobility Radeon 128
main: Intel NUC11PHKi7C Phantom Canyon: i7-1165G7 RTX2060 64G 2T760PSDD

Reply 24 of 27, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote on 2021-10-25, 21:35:

I believe its the original floppy version is IRQ 7

Great Hierophant wrote on 2016-06-19, 14:44:

Drivers for the SB Pro are not going to help you here, Prince of Persia uses its own internal driver to communicate with your cards. Except for a very few games, you do not need to install the drivers for the SB Pro in DOS, although the mixer control comes in handy.

If the game crashes right as it is playing the first digital sound effect, either you have an IRQ/DMA issue or a faulty card. Set your Pro to I/O 220, IRQ 7 and DMA 1. Make sure your SET BLASTER=A200 I7 D1 T4 is set in AUTOEXEC.BAT.

I tested it on a XG in pure DOS with the floppy version and confirmed this.

Does the floppy version have sound setup.exe? I had download a copy of Prince of Persia 1 which have a setup.exe to change the IRQ.

Reply 25 of 27, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I installed 98 again and problem remains. But I found the solution:
Because I disabled LPT port in BIOS before installing 98, the BIOS will explicitly reserve IRQ 7 for the LPT, disabling it will inform BIOS not to reserve IRQ 7 anymore.

Now I just enable LPT in BIOS so that it will reserve the IRQ 7, and then it 98, the IRQ 7 is assigned to LPT instead of USB hub. disabled the LPT in device manager and manually set IRQ to 7 for 724 and it's done. Maybe I can disable LPT again in BIOS at this time.
BTW it's an award phoenix BIOS on SX5EP.

Reply 26 of 27, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

should look at the manual and look at the IRQ sharing scheme. You might not be aware that onboard devices share IRQs with the PCI slot. So PCI slot 4 for example might share an IRQ with the USB controller. ANd PCI slot 2 might share an IRQ with a onboard raid controller. PCI slot 3 and 5 might share and IRQ with each other. SO if you change a PCI card that is in PCI slot 4 to IRQ 8 the USB controller will be IRQ 8 becasue it shares a IRQ with pci slot 4 for example. So you want to put the sound card in a slot that doesn't share an IRQ with another device or only shares an IRQ with another PCI slot that is empty. This is the way it works.

all bios is different and sometimes they give little control. You can try reserving IRQ 7 for legacy devices in BIOS sometimes and that will prevent the USB controller, unless the usb controller shares a IRQ with the PCI slot the sound card is in... . Somtimes you can disable some but not all USB ports. The more ports you have the more IRQs USB uses. I Usually disable all but 2, so I can use game controllers in windows. Otherwise I just disable USB because I don't sneakernet files with USB sticks and I dont use USB mice or keyboards. So its pointless.

Reply 27 of 27, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote on 2021-12-10, 07:10:

should look at the manual and look at the IRQ sharing scheme. You might not be aware that onboard devices share IRQs with the PCI slot. So PCI slot 4 for example might share an IRQ with the USB controller. ANd PCI slot 2 might share an IRQ with a onboard raid controller. PCI slot 3 and 5 might share and IRQ with each other. SO if you change a PCI card that is in PCI slot 4 to IRQ 8 the USB controller will be IRQ 8 becasue it shares a IRQ with pci slot 4 for example. So you want to put the sound card in a slot that doesn't share an IRQ with another device or only shares an IRQ with another PCI slot that is empty. This is the way it works.

all bios is different and sometimes they give little control. You can try reserving IRQ 7 for legacy devices in BIOS sometimes and that will prevent the USB controller, unless the usb controller shares a IRQ with the PCI slot the sound card is in... . Somtimes you can disable some but not all USB ports. The more ports you have the more IRQs USB uses. I Usually disable all but 2, so I can use game controllers in windows. Otherwise I just disable USB because I don't sneakernet files with USB sticks and I dont use USB mice or keyboards. So its pointless.

Okay there's reserve IRQ for ISA but I didn't try that. I guess that will work good.😁