VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a VL/I-486SV2GX4 motherboard with a blown tantalum capacitor but the side with the writing of what it was is gone but on the other side is a single letter "K" there are caps next to it that might be the same but I don't know, should I replace it with the exact same type or is there better caps out now that will last longer than the original

Attachments

Reply 1 of 6, by whaka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

remove it, and measure voltage to see what margin you'll need. but as 12V is the max voltage on motherboard, you can always put 16/25V anywhere on the mothertboard and be totally safe.
you can replace it with regular aluminium capacitor, or pick antoher tantalum.

for the value, it's not very critical. you can stay with 10µ like the others, or pick a higher value. not a big deal here 😀

Reply 4 of 6, by PC-Engineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Take one with the same values like the capacitor to the left. The K means Kemet (manufacturer).

Following this ones at the photo, you should take 10uf and 16V types, tantalum. I would recommend to take 25V.
You can take any Electrolyte capacitor with 10uf and 16V (or higher) which fits the pitch.

Epox 7KXA Slot A / Athlon 950MHz / Voodoo 5 5500 / PowerVR / 512 MB / AWE32 / SCSI - Windows 98SE

Reply 5 of 6, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks PCE, the cap that blew was 16 volt right next to the power input would a faulty power supply be the cause for it as the motherboard was like this when I got it and wouldn't a 25 volt cap blow out after something else (add in card, motherboard components) if the power supply was faulty again I don't know components much sorry

Reply 6 of 6, by turbooo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The normal voltage range should be 12V +/-15% at most regardless of load so 16V capacitors are sufficient. They are prone to fail from old age, I had a similar capacitor fail on my 486 board (though with a lot more charring) and after replacing it the board was fine.

If you are concerned about the power supply you can test the voltages with a multimeter to verify everything is within range.