VOGONS

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I’m trying to figur out the difference between a rise mp6 and a rise idragon google seems not to have the answer…

If anyone knows like a guide to all the different rise socket 7 cpus. That would be cool I found one but no mention of idragon that I saw except in the comments but no good detailed explanation

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2021-10-31, 15:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 2 of 19, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Disruptor wrote on 2021-10-31, 15:35:

Hi,
perhaps you may find a better topic name.
Rise MP6 fits in super socket 7 PGA, Rise iDragon is a BGA chip.

🤔 I seem to have found a dragon on a socket 7 interposer on the bay.. and also one basically the same setup that says mp6.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 19, by mscdex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I believe at least one difference (not considering engineering samples) is the iDragon has a 2.0V core whereas the mP6 had 2.8V. It also seems the iDragon used a newer process (180nm) compared to the mP6 (250nm)? Since the iDragon tried to target the embedded/SoC market, both of these changes make sense.

Reply 4 of 19, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mscdex wrote on 2021-10-31, 15:49:

I believe at least one difference (not considering engineering samples) is the iDragon has a 2.0V core whereas the mP6 had 2.8V. It also seems the iDragon used a newer process (180nm) compared to the mP6 (250nm)? Since the iDragon tried to target the embedded/SoC market, both of these changes make sense.

Okay, so dragon is better.

How far ya think the 200mhz One I found will overclock? 🤔

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 5 of 19, by Error 0x7CF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's a shame it seems somewhat rare. If it were cheaper it'd be fun to whack a ridiculous overvolt on it and see if it can reach the highest specified bus speed (100mhz) with the highest specified multiplier (3.5).

A 350MHz MP6 might even be as fast as a Celeron!

Old precedes antique.

Reply 6 of 19, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

iDragon has the 0.18µm 2.00V Lynx core and mine runs at 250MHz on stock voltage. The 0.25µm Kirin runs at 2.80V and I don't think I have tried to overclock it.

file.php?id=122746

Both have the * Chris Norrie * 🥚

Attachments

Reply 7 of 19, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
red-ray wrote on 2021-11-01, 09:25:
iDragon has the 0.18µm 2.00V Lynx core and mine runs at 250MHz on stock voltage. The 0.25µm Kirin runs at 2.80V and I don't thin […]
Show full quote

iDragon has the 0.18µm 2.00V Lynx core and mine runs at 250MHz on stock voltage. The 0.25µm Kirin runs at 2.80V and I don't think I have tried to overclock it.

file.php?id=122746

Both have the * Chris Norrie * 🥚

w1zard is that you?

Sweet! Thanks!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 9 of 19, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Always been curious about these chips. Seem relatively rare in any form. I was under the impression that the mP6 used some sort of BGA to PGA package on the Socket 7 platform?
This is one reason I always assumed so many of these chips seem to be found dead. I could be wrong on all that though, as I've never seen one in person.

Reply 10 of 19, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have one. Was able to run some benchmarks at 2.1volts but was a bit unstable (hopefully the voltage didn't damage it).

Planning to do a youtube video once I've moved into my new place!

Attachments

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 11 of 19, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With Socket 7, you could use AMD, Intel, Cyrix, Winchip, and Rise CPUs - was there ever a socket prior to that where you had the option of using a CPU from so many different companies? I know that Intel went to a patented socket after that, and the other manufacturers followed suit, putting an end to shared socket platforms.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 12 of 19, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2021-11-02, 01:30:

With Socket 7, you could use AMD, Intel, Cyrix, Winchip, and Rise CPUs - was there ever a socket prior to that where you had the option of using a CPU from so many different companies? I know that Intel went to a patented socket after that, and the other manufacturers followed suit, putting an end to shared socket platforms.

Yes in the realm of ZIF sockets, both Socket 3 and Socket 5 were notable for this as well. Especially Socket 3.
I'm not sure if Socket 2 eve support anything other than Intel chips, or rather if anyone made any chips that were compatible. Socket 6 was very short lived iirc and likely has the same story.
Other more knowledgeable folks might chime in to correct me though.

Reply 13 of 19, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
red-ray wrote on 2021-11-01, 19:23:
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-11-01, 18:06:

w1zard is that you?

I have no idea what "w1zard is that you?" means as it makes no sense at all.

there is a user on another forum using your avatar

Jasin Natael wrote on 2021-11-01, 21:22:

Always been curious about these chips. Seem relatively rare in any form. I was under the impression that the mP6 used some sort of BGA to PGA package on the Socket 7 platform?
This is one reason I always assumed so many of these chips seem to be found dead. I could be wrong on all that though, as I've never seen one in person.

yes i have heard about the issues. hopefully mine comes in okay

yes, socket 7 was the last great socket to play with in my opinion. everything got boring and specialized after that

Jasin Natael wrote on 2021-11-02, 15:26:
Yes in the realm of ZIF sockets, both Socket 3 and Socket 5 were notable for this as well. Especially Socket 3. I'm not sure if […]
Show full quote

Yes in the realm of ZIF sockets, both Socket 3 and Socket 5 were notable for this as well. Especially Socket 3.
I'm not sure if Socket 2 eve support anything other than Intel chips, or rather if anyone made any chips that were compatible. Socket 6 was very short lived iirc and likely has the same story.

https://www.easytechjunkie.com/what-is-socket-6.htm

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 14 of 19, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-11-03, 03:28:
red-ray wrote on 2021-11-01, 19:23:
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-11-01, 18:06:

w1zard is that you?

I have no idea what "w1zard is that you?" means as it makes no sense at all.

there is a user on another forum using your avatar

Such statements should include a link, I guess you mean https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/gp … y-layout.65258/, but his avatar is totally different, it's not even red

Reply 15 of 19, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Socket 6 is a curiosity, I knew they were and Intel think but beyond that I've got zero knowledge of them.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-11-03, 22:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 19, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The "Sockets" were all designed for intel, so technically none of them are designed for non-intel chips.
There is essentially zero difference between socket2 and socket3, except for some minor keying related to the POD chips.
Socket6 is basically vapourware. Outside of a single photo I saw of some PC98 system, I have never seen another one.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 17 of 19, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey guys! Check this out,

That price though… 😬

https://spwindustrial.com/vintage-rare-rise-t … -mp65dpafh5-es/

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 18 of 19, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was lucky enough to get a NOS Rise iDragon CPU a few years ago for only $35 on eBay. It runs at 250MHz@2.0v with no issues. This one is mounted on a BGA to PGA package. Too bad Rise was late to the party coming out their CPU in 1998, by then there were better options available. The other thing they missed the boat on is only having a 8kx8k cache. This seems to really have held back performance. These are definitely not that common and I am just glad I got one when I did. A very interesting CPU to be sure.

Reply 19 of 19, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jasin Natael wrote on 2021-11-03, 14:04:

Socket 6 is a curiosity, I knew they were and Intel think but beyond that I've got zero knowledge of them.

Intel had originally intended to offer “32bit” Pentiums and 64bit pentiums

Socket 6 was intended for the “P24T for DX4” overdrive.
Because the Pentium overdrive(s) for dx4 systems never released socket 6 was too late for OEMs to be bothered with.

Had Intels original timeline been followed there might have been a reason for socket 6 but given Intels apparent loss of interest in overdrives and the extreme delay in the 83mhz p24t it’s surprising that Intel even mentioned Socket 6 when it likely already had given up on the 486 platform