VOGONS

Reply 20 of 41, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DX4 at 2x is faster than a DX2, due to 16KB L1 cache compared to 8KB of DX2, it won't be the authentic experience you seek.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 22 of 41, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is not something I have tested, someone else will have to chime in about what the difference is.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 23 of 41, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have tested on speedsys 4.78
DX4 at 100Mhz = 39,43
DX4 at 66Mhz = 28,27
DX2 at 66Mhz = 25,06

it is a notiveable difference in real use? Games, S.O. ecc?

sidenote: without teaking off the dx4 regulator, the dx2 work apparently perfect (at 3v instead of 5v) , it finish Doom and quake benchmark and (very strange) the regulator on the heatsink remain absolutely cold, with the dx4 instead become very hot in 66mhz and even in 100mhz settings… why???

Reply 24 of 41, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dx2 at 3v ??? danger....

didin't you change the jumper for voltage ? or do your bios autometic detects the voltage ?

undervoltage is more dangerous than overvoltage

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1
3| PIII-450, Voodoo 3 3000

Reply 27 of 41, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

here the link

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-KiNs … wtDnSOd4xzXPy3W

i have try to power on the pc without the regulator (you see the socket at the right of the cpu) and without the jumper strip to make short circuit and the system work perfect. very strange also that…why? tnks

Reply 31 of 41, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlessandroB wrote on 2021-11-03, 16:45:

the is a regulator pcb that can be removed… why it is more dangerous? other people tell me the opposite… i’m confused..

Under voltage is never dangerous to the CPU

If the cpu is unstable at the lower voltage that is a potential way to corrupt HD data, freeze, lockup, etc.

Poster is mis-informed

Reply 32 of 41, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rmay635703 wrote on 2021-11-03, 17:15:
Under voltage is never dangerous to the CPU […]
Show full quote

the is a regulator pcb that can be removed… why it is more dangerous? other people tell me the opposite… i’m confused..

If the cpu is unstable at the lower voltage that is a potential way to corrupt HD data, freeze, lockup, etc.

Poster is mis-informed

that's what I've always known too, but in this forum you are all monsters of knowledge and everything

what can you tell me about the fact that it works without regulator and without short-circuiting the regulator pins on the mainboard?

Reply 33 of 41, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlessandroB wrote on 2021-11-03, 17:24:
Under voltage is never dangerous to the CPU […]
Show full quote

Poster is mis-informed

that's what I've always known too, but in this forum you are all monsters of knowledge and everything

what can you tell me about the fact that it works without regulator and without short-circuiting the regulator pins on the mainboard?

Don't believe everything you see/read on the internet For example so called "experts" that have no idea what they are talking about and computer history revisionists are everywhere.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 34 of 41, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-11-03, 17:35:
AlessandroB wrote on 2021-11-03, 17:24:

Poster is mis-informed

Don't believe everything you see/read on the internet For example so called "experts" that have no idea what they are talking about and computer history revisionists are everywhere.

i do not believe everithing but Vogoms seems a a place of knowledge.

About my question???

Reply 35 of 41, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What's with the Vcc5 pin on your CPU (pin J1)? Is it the same like the Vcc pins? Or do you a get a different behaviour when comparing your measurement to one between tow Vcc pins?
486 pinout comparison

Reply 36 of 41, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got an Intel DX2 66 SL/WB that's rate for 5v. Three actually. They run fine at 3,3v.

The older non-SL WT DX2 will post but hangs at Himem while booting. No go.

The even older one won't even give me image at 3,3v.

All tested extensively and it never gave any hardware problems (except for the mentioned instability).

Lower voltage on the CPU will only increase expected lifespan.
So if your DX2 will run stable at 3,3v there's no reason not to. Nothing will break or short.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 37 of 41, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlessandroB wrote on 2021-11-03, 10:27:
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2021-11-03, 05:07:

If your CPU is Cyrix/TI/IBM/ST, then it's possible that the speed is being misreported if the program in question isn't designed to properly identify it. Speedsys for example detects my 40MHz 486SXL as 13MHz despite the fact it runs at 40.

no it is the genuine dx4 intel installed by imb in the 1995 in this pc

I assume you have pulled the CPU out and checked it right? IBM had an agreement with Cyrix around 1994 or so, and from what I recall they usually used the Cyrix based IBM branded DX4 in their PCs. The Cyrix based ones usually had a anodized blue heatsink with IBM stamped on it, and a black bottom.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 38 of 41, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2021-11-04, 14:23:
AlessandroB wrote on 2021-11-03, 10:27:
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2021-11-03, 05:07:

If your CPU is Cyrix/TI/IBM/ST, then it's possible that the speed is being misreported if the program in question isn't designed to properly identify it. Speedsys for example detects my 40MHz 486SXL as 13MHz despite the fact it runs at 40.

no it is the genuine dx4 intel installed by imb in the 1995 in this pc

I assume you have pulled the CPU out and checked it right? IBM had an agreement with Cyrix around 1994 or so, and from what I recall they usually used the Cyrix based IBM branded DX4 in their PCs. The Cyrix based ones usually had a anodized blue heatsink with IBM stamped on it, and a black bottom.

there us the heatsink glued on, but the system say me “intel”, i not think IBM sell a cyrix cpu for a intel one.

Reply 39 of 41, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
waterbeesje wrote on 2021-11-04, 13:12:
I've got an Intel DX2 66 SL/WB that's rate for 5v. Three actually. They run fine at 3,3v. […]
Show full quote

I've got an Intel DX2 66 SL/WB that's rate for 5v. Three actually. They run fine at 3,3v.

The older non-SL WT DX2 will post but hangs at Himem while booting. No go.

The even older one won't even give me image at 3,3v.

All tested extensively and it never gave any hardware problems (except for the mentioned instability).

Lower voltage on the CPU will only increase expected lifespan.
So if your DX2 will run stable at 3,3v there's no reason not to. Nothing will break or short.

mine is SL but not WB but WT.