VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hanamichi wrote on 2021-11-05, 13:20:

I think I can build this, "I ain't afraid of Y2K" build 😀

S2DG2, Xeon 500Mhz x2, TNT2 Ultra 32MB Savage 4 AGP (Assuming Savage 2000 and GF256 are out), Fireball RAID 0 >100GB with cache, 2GB Ram, Win NT Windows 2000 Beta, SuperDisk, ISDN Modem, but my Hitachi ALIS plasma is 2000/1 🙁

Need dat Sony minidisc recorder - "My digital media is write-protected"- ???

Sounds like you are well on your way to doing so! The Internet might be forgiving of a 6 months newer plasma 😉

Regardless of who does it - do a YouTube video, drop the link on Twitter, tag @alyankovic - you might get your 15 seconds of fame 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 21 of 22, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why would you need a minidisc recorder? Technically, CD-R is write protected as it is write once.

And there were WORM drives before CD-Rs were out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write_once_read_many

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22 of 22, by Hanamichi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote on 2021-11-05, 21:45:
Hanamichi wrote on 2021-11-05, 13:20:

I think I can build this, "I ain't afraid of Y2K" build 😀

S2DG2, Xeon 500Mhz x2, TNT2 Ultra 32MB Savage 4 AGP (Assuming Savage 2000 and GF256 are out), Fireball RAID 0 >100GB with cache, 2GB Ram, Win NT Windows 2000 Beta, SuperDisk, ISDN Modem, but my Hitachi ALIS plasma is 2000/1 🙁

Need dat Sony minidisc recorder - "My digital media is write-protected"- ???

Sounds like you are well on your way to doing so! The Internet might be forgiving of a 6 months newer plasma 😉

Regardless of who does it - do a YouTube video, drop the link on Twitter, tag @alyankovic - you might get your 15 seconds of fame 😁

Something like overlaying the music video over a build highlights video might be a laugh or cringe worthy 🤣

It's my goto retro build, just something special about those pimped up Xeons.

cyclone3d wrote on 2021-11-06, 05:24:

Why would you need a minidisc recorder? Technically, CD-R is write protected as it is write once.

And there were WORM drives before CD-Rs were out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write_once_read_many

Yeah could be Jazz, CD-RW, PD, MO but just saying MiniDisc just seems cooler/braggable and has a write protect tab on it.