VOGONS

Reply 20 of 51, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Drives that are absolutely silent. But even SSDs make noise that can be heard when the rest of the system is silent. Not all of them do that. The first few times I heard it I though there was something wrong with the laptop I was using.

I plan on getting rid of most of the old spinning rust drives at some point. Maybe I should make sound recordings of the different drives before selling them.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22 of 51, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
snufkin wrote on 2021-11-10, 13:08:

...which is around middle C on a piano. [...] But I don't think that's really what you're looking for.

Yes, you are right.
The sort of "sound" I was thinking of is more of imitating sounds.

In 1982 I got some fun programs for Apple II that consisted of crude line draws on the two HGR pages being flipped together with the floppy heads moving, creating their own kind of "sound".
I only remember two of these.
One a saw cutting wood, one image with saw up, one with saw down, and the drive making sawing sounds like when one uses a saw.
And the other was a hand masturbating a penis. One with hand down, one with hand up, and at orgasm time, the drive got rattling like crazy.

I and my friends all had Apple Shugart drives, clones were not yet that common back then.
But, I bet this would have sounded different on drives from other manufacturers.

Reply 25 of 51, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-11-10, 15:43:

Drives that are absolutely silent. But even SSDs make noise that can be heard when the rest of the system is silent. Not all of them do that. The first few times I heard it I though there was something wrong with the laptop I was using.

I plan on getting rid of most of the old spinning rust drives at some point. Maybe I should make sound recordings of the different drives before selling them.

The reason or that noise is power regulation cannot cope with the sudden increases in amperage draw and that makes the laptop in question basically incompatable/not designed with them in mind *or* its going to fail anyhow due to age.
But SSD is completely off topic

Last edited by zapbuzz on 2021-11-12, 01:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 27 of 51, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-11-11, 00:38:
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-11-10, 15:43:

The reason or that noise is power regulation cannot cope with the sudden increases in amperage draw and that makes the laptop in question basically incompatable/not designed with them in mind *or* its going to fail anyhow due to age.

Nah... These were laptops that came with SSDs. The same SSDs will make sound when installed in any system.

SSDs draw less power than HDDs. How would it even make sense that it would be power draw related?
It isn't just a quick sound that happens right when you start accessing the drive. It can be heard the whole time the drive is being accessed.

It is a high pitched ticking/clicking sound.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 28 of 51, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I always liked the sound of scsi drives doing the temp recalibration at start up, many older IDE also did it but was more subtle. Newer SATA ones you can't really hear it....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 29 of 51, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hanamichi wrote on 2021-11-10, 18:05:
+1 for Quantum Fireballs and Bigfoots […]
Show full quote

+1 for Quantum Fireballs and Bigfoots

Why not torture the poor souls for your amusement:
http://hdmotion.pingerthinger.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RleSLSbewCo

Yeah, those Quantum fireballs drives came in HP Kayak workstations with the Seagate Cheetah SCSI drives.
The BIGFOOT drives came in HP Pavilion desktop computers.
I think Apple used the Quantum fireball too in the Macintosh Performa or some other Mac.
I knew a guy who was an employee at Quantum before they sold the company to Maxtor.

Reply 30 of 51, by aaronwhooley

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The quantum fireball 540a is in my opinion one of the greatest sounding hard drives. Has such a cool “drum roll” sound when initializing on power on

*My retro rig*
1994 Peacock 🦚 “Professional”
Intel dx4 100 MHz
UM8810p AIO motherboard
32MB Ram
52x CD-ROM
540 mb Quantum Fireball
AWE 32 ISA
S3 Trio 64 PCI
Voodoo 1 4mb PCI
Realtek LAN PCI
Hyundai Image Quest v770

Reply 31 of 51, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is a small video of random seek on my Kalok KL-343.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/9HLOmm0Xdkg
The sound was way cooler when they used stepper motors instead of voice coils.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 33 of 51, by winuser_pl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I will always remember an old dog from my compaq presario cds 520:

quantum maverick 270MB

The bearings was super noisy even when drive was almost brand new. Also super loud and crunchy overall.

Apart from that I love these old seagate u4 or u8 with 512 kb of cache with capacity like 8 gigs or something. Ideal for socket 7 platform with less noisy bearings but still crunchy.

PC1: Highscreen => FIC PA-2005, 64 MB EDO RAM, Pentium MMX 200, S3 Virge + Voodoo 2 8 MB
PC2: AOpen => GA-586SG, 512 MB SDRAM, AMD K6-2 400 MHz, Geforce 2 MX 400

Reply 34 of 51, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A few personal picks:

- Quantum Fireball ST, SE, Bigfoot CY
- Seagate Cheetah 15K
- Seagate ST310211A u5
- Seagate ST31000340AS/NS
- ST1000DM010

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 36 of 51, by BigMaQ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

WD Caviar - Especially the older ones under 1 GB sounds like Music for me 😀

Worst one I remember was a brand called „Kalok“ (sp?) 40 MB.

Edit: Just saw the post from Der Baum incl that Video of a Kalok making the „grinding“ noise. Thats what I am talking about 😀

Reply 37 of 51, by Locutus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BigMaQ wrote on 2024-03-16, 10:57:

Worst one I remember was a brand called „Kalok“ (sp?) 40 MB.

My KALOK sounds nice 😉
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ3miGrj0hs

Reply 38 of 51, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The first time I ever saw a Mac at school was also the first time I ever heard an HDD. It was a Mac SE, when they were new, and man I remember the sound it made was so cool. I asked the librarian what made that sound and she said "It's the Hypercard". Lol, anyways I don't know what type of drive that was but it was my first and favorite HDD sound.

Reply 39 of 51, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shagittarius wrote on 2024-03-16, 16:13:

The first time I ever saw a Mac at school was also the first time I ever heard an HDD. It was a Mac SE, when they were new, and man I remember the sound it made was so cool. I asked the librarian what made that sound and she said "It's the Hypercard". Lol, anyways I don't know what type of drive that was but it was my first and favorite HDD sound.

I know hypercard is that hypertext database doohickey, but went looking in case anyone made a hardcard for Macs they called hypercard or something similar. Nothing showed up for that, but I came across an early Mac HDD discussion on Reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/VintageApple/comment … released_apple/
which seems to indicate that it might have had a Quantum.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.