VOGONS

Reply 20 of 43, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That was my first printer actually, circa 1993, it escaped my grasp some moves ago though. However, I would probably look for a star or epson 9 pin if I got a bug up my ass about needing a 9 pin, as they were very basic/cheap/slow... though there does seem to be plenty of working ones around. Not sure what I've got in the basement, a wide carriage something or other, 9 or 24.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 22 of 43, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dos and Win3x days your looking at a dot matrix.
We had a Star Gemini II 9 pin till the mid 90's (although ours was attached to a Apple IIe and was very out of date in the end)
Last days of Win3x Ink jet printers had become cheap. Epson and HP Deskjet being the big names as was the Canon bubblejet.
Laserjets were expensive so only really in businesses. Laserjet 4 series must be the most famous, most saw continued use well into the mid 2000's

Reply 23 of 43, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The HP Laserjet 4M must be the Cadillac of Mono-chrome Parallel port printers. It is loaded with connections.
I remember using it in the corporate world and it never let us down.
A very good reliable printer.
We use to print entire 500+ Page manuals in duplex on these printers.

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2021-11-10, 17:19. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 24 of 43, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-11-06, 21:50:

The Laserjets were well regarded as the holy grail of DTP back then, or for using with a hefty graphic workstation. I don't know if they made much penetration into SOHO unless you had serious output requirements and a budget that allowed... I have a LJ-III stashed.

Ventura Publisher was based on a custom GEM and it supported ESC/P, I think I first played with it in 1987.
Printing was horribly slow though, due multiple printing with small offsets, creating sort of "hi-res" prints.
With the Laserjet that my neighbour bought in 1988, it took a looong time to print with the 10MHz 8088 he used for his DTP business.

The holy grail back then already were phototypesetters, somewhere between 2400 and 2500dpi.
In the newspaper where I worked in the IT dept in the early 1990s, Laserjets were only used in the management due to their good support by commercial software and their relatively cheap price.
In the news departments we had only Apple Laserwriters connected to the net with printserver boxes, because of Postscript (which the phototypesetter also used), so it could be used for proof printing by the journalists.
But all these were like 9-dot matrix printers compared to the Linotype.

The refill business lifted off in that time, too.
Original HP/Canon cartridges were very expensive, and the refills were a fraction of that cost.
In the newspaper we had a supplier who regularly came, fetched 20-30 LBP cartridges and brought "fresh" refilled ones.

Regarding the LJ-III, this was the last good heavy-duty HP laserprinter.
All Laserjets from LJ-4 onwards were cheap plastic garbage, not really durable and broke down easily.
The LJ-III as well as the Imagewriter with the same Canon chassis were really rugged.
They rarely failed, even when the paper cartridge (which protruded from the case) broke because the printer accidentally fell onto concrete floor.

Reply 25 of 43, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-11-10, 12:09:
HP Deskjet, Laserjet, Officejet. Lexmark. Epson […]
Show full quote

HP Deskjet, Laserjet, Officejet.
Lexmark.
Epson

Were popular brand printers for home computer users with parallel port connections.

Lexmark was late to the game and their inkjets a load of shit.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 26 of 43, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I side with the Laserjet faction 😉
My favourit was the HP Laserjet 4L, cheap, reliable and easy to maintanace - had on for many years/PCs ...

HP_LJ_4L.jpg
Filename
HP_LJ_4L.jpg
File size
26.55 KiB
Views
File comment
HL Laserjet 4L
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Even ran it with a PostScript Printer Software-Emulator via hotfolder under Windows 3.x - "Gerdes, PowerScript" absolutly unknown nowadays - during my university studies of print- & media-tec while delving the depth of PostScript & PDF.

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 27 of 43, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ildonaldo wrote on 2021-11-10, 16:46:

..."Gerdes, PowerScript" absolutly unknown nowadays ...

Maybe you can remember the name of that ESC/P DOS printer driver with its own fonts, which did double-triple overprinting with very small incremental tractor movements, resulting in quite high-res and beautiful output from the old 9-dot printers? It was in usage quite widespread in the late 1980s...

Reply 28 of 43, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I purchased a refurbished Lexmark laser printer that has networking and supports DOS/Win3x and Apple.
I have it in my garage I don’t remember if it has a Parallel port connection.
But the reason I bought it was because it had drivers for DOS/Windows 3x and Old Apple computers.
So I think it has a parallel port too.

Reply 29 of 43, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-11-10, 17:18:

... Lexmark laser printer that has networking ... ....reason I bought it was because it had drivers for DOS/Windows 3x and Old Apple computers. ... So I think it has a parallel port too.

"Old Apple computers" ???

Nonsense.
Printer drivers didn't exist on Apple II.
Macs never had parallel printer port.

Reply 30 of 43, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retardware wrote on 2021-11-10, 17:33:
"Old Apple computers" ??? […]
Show full quote

... Lexmark laser printer that has networking ... ....reason I bought it was because it had drivers for DOS/Windows 3x and Old Apple computers. ... So I think it has a parallel port too.

Nonsense.

Just because Mac didn’t have a parallel port didn’t mean your printer didn’t come ready to attach to A Mac
Or serial
Or LPT

Many HPs had various ways to attach (back in the good old days)

Reply 31 of 43, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rmay635703 wrote on 2021-11-10, 19:22:

Just because Mac didn’t have a parallel port didn’t mean your printer didn’t come ready to attach to A Mac

He talked about a Lexmark, probably from the PowerMac era, which usuallygenerally had Ethernet, and could easily use Postscript printers, iirc via AppleShare [IP], without needing drivers.
What I meant was the nonsense "drivers for old apple computers, thus parallel interface". There are few if any HP/Lexmark which did not have parallel interface.
Maybe there was even a pair of LocalTalk DINs. In this case drivers would have made sense, for very old Macs.

Reply 32 of 43, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retardware wrote on 2021-11-10, 15:39:

With the Laserjet that my neighbour bought in 1988, it took a looong time to print with the 10MHz 8088 he used for his DTP business.

The amusing thing there being that I think the printer had double the processing power of the computer.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 33 of 43, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-11-10, 16:32:
Show full quote

Lexmark.
Epson

Were popular brand printers for home computer users with parallel port connections.

Every inkjet ever is a load of shit

Reply 34 of 43, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retardware wrote on 2021-11-10, 17:33:
"Old Apple computers" ??? […]
Show full quote

Nonsense.

I think it had network printer drivers for Mac OS System 7x
I will look in my garage and see if I can find that printer. Its somewhere in there.

Reply 35 of 43, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-11-10, 19:59:
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-11-10, 16:32:
Show full quote

Lexmark.
Epson

Every inkjet ever is a load of shit

Some inkjets work okay if you use the ink right away. The longer the ink cartridge sits in the printer it just dries up and clogs up the nozzles.

Reply 36 of 43, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IBM made great ribbon ink dot matrix printers into the early 90's
noisy but the ribbon was $2 the inkjet era started at about $35 for a black ink cartridge; no names mentioned ..... cannon bubblejet 🤣

Reply 38 of 43, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sysjunkie wrote on 2021-11-11, 01:47:

If someone was making a printer emulator, what printer should that someone emulate ?

The first printer I had back in 1993 was a Ricoh Laser printer with an HP Laserjet emulator card.
It had 1mb or ram and was so SLOW I hardly use it. But It cost me allot of money back then.
I was using it with my 486dx-33 computer with DOS 5.0/Win3.11

Reply 39 of 43, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retardware wrote on 2021-11-10, 19:47:
He talked about a Lexmark, probably from the PowerMac era, which usuallygenerally had Ethernet, and could easily use Postscript […]
Show full quote
rmay635703 wrote on 2021-11-10, 19:22:

He talked about a Lexmark, probably from the PowerMac era, which usuallygenerally had Ethernet, and could easily use Postscript printers, iirc via AppleShare [IP], without needing drivers.
What I meant was the nonsense "drivers for old apple computers, thus parallel interface". There are few if any HP/Lexmark which did not have parallel interface.
Maybe there was even a pair of LocalTalk DINs. In this case drivers would have made sense, for very old Macs.

I looked in my Garage but there is so many boxes I don’t know where its at. But I found some Lexmark E312L Laser printers with
Parallel ports. These worked good back in 1990’s
I still have one NEW in box.
I also have an old NEC laser printer with parallel port that I liked to use.
And an HP Officejet with parallel port.
Those HP Officejet printers use to be my go to inkjet printers to use.
I really like the HP printer software ( Jet admin ) and ( web jet admin ) and HP Openview.
This is what set HP printers apart from other printers is their driver and software support.
Ease of use and setup.