VOGONS

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I got a Batman's revenge with a Pentium 66. The original heatsink retention frame was with the board but the heat sink was not so I managed to adapt a small aluminum one with some zip ties on it'll be a picture you'll see it. The question is after looking at the picture do I need to actively cool it meaning purchase like a 30 mm fan or should it be fine the way it is.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 2, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Depends on the airflow in the case. That thing dissipates up to 17W, so the heat sink needs to dissipate quite a bit. If it's in a flow of cool air, that's no problem, but if it's in an AT minitower with cables all over the place, it can't do much and will need help.

Reply 2 of 2, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I decided to rob the fan from my pentium 133, and just gave it an Athlon Thunderbird cooper baseplate cooler for the Pentium 133, and took its 40mm fan to stick ontop of this aluminum heatsink, the 86-box discord suggested it also. If anyone hears about new old stock socket 4 coolers let me know, right now the cooler is held down with zip ties including the fan, it works but it doesn't look that nice. Oh the cooler itself came off of an HP motherboard and was cooling the 845g chipset on it, the board is long dead so i robbed its chipset heatsink