VOGONS

First post, by y2k_survivor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This year I did my first retro build, a 486 inspired by LGR's "Woodgrain" PC. I have a Sound Blaster Pro 2 installed, which is connected to a CR-563-B CD-ROM drive. This setup is a little quirky, but it works basically fine; the one thing I can't figure out is what kind of audio cable the CD drive takes. I've tried three different cables, including a universal cable with four different plugs on the end, and none of them fit. Do I need some weird proprietary cable to go with my weird proprietary CD drive?

Attachments

• IMG_1304.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_1304.jpeg
    File size
    160.61 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 12, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Weren't these connectors pretty standard for the longest time? I know that eventually the black one became more common, but I've definitely seen these on lots of other drives. The cables often came with dual heads to accomadate both.

The CR-583B is also not that quirky for a proprietary drive.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 12, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it was one like that I took a 3.5 floppy power connector, trimmed the key on top of it with side cutters, and soldered that on the end.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 12, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
y2k_survivor wrote on 2021-11-11, 04:44:

This year I did my first retro build, a 486 inspired by LGR's "Woodgrain" PC. I have a Sound Blaster Pro 2 installed, which is connected to a CR-563-B CD-ROM drive. This setup is a little quirky, but it works basically fine; the one thing I can't figure out is what kind of audio cable the CD drive takes. I've tried three different cables, including a universal cable with four different plugs on the end, and none of them fit. Do I need some weird proprietary cable to go with my weird proprietary CD drive?

It's proprietary, but not uncommon. IIRC this is THE cable you need to connect SB Pro 2 with an early (pre-ATAPI) Panasonic CD-ROM:

IMG_20211112_142924.jpg
Filename
IMG_20211112_142924.jpg
File size
92.69 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The left one with slit-like holes and keyed corners goes to the drive, while the right one with square holes and keyed sides goes to SB Pro 2.

BitWrangler wrote on 2021-11-11, 18:54:

I think it was one like that I took a 3.5 floppy power connector, trimmed the key on top of it with side cutters, and soldered that on the end.

Are you joking or intentionally misleading? Compare the sizes of respective connectors and cords:

IMG_20211112_144347.jpg
Filename
IMG_20211112_144347.jpg
File size
267.59 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 6 of 12, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dormcat wrote on 2021-11-12, 06:35:
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-11-11, 18:54:

Are you joking or intentionally misleading? Compare the sizes of respective connectors and cords:

IMG_20211112_144347.jpg

Yah I didn't pick the scale up from the pic, there's one type around that has the same pin pitch one end or the other that I used a floppy power plug for decades ago, was just mistaken. Would be nice if there was still a source of those "universal" CD audio cables around still that had three plugs on each end.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 12, by y2k_survivor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2021-11-11, 16:48:

The quirks seem to be in the drivers. Random audio CDs don't play in DOS, but do play in Windows 3.1 and Windows 95. Files I've added to a CD-R after initially burning it don't show up in Windows 95. That sort of thing.

Reply 9 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
y2k_survivor wrote on 2021-11-13, 04:31:
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2021-11-11, 16:48:

The quirks seem to be in the drivers. Random audio CDs don't play in DOS, but do play in Windows 3.1 and Windows 95. Files I've added to a CD-R after initially burning it don't show up in Windows 95. That sort of thing.

Respectfully and IMHO, unless you have some kind of nostalgia specifically related to MKE interface drives, using a CR-563B (or a CR-562B) is almost an exercise in masochism .

The Creative/Panasonic (a.k.a Matsushita a.k.a MKE) 40-pin interface (not IDE) is a CPU hog because it uses software polling (NO IRQ required) to read data from CD-ROM media . Also, the CR-563-B is is a slow 2X drive (300 KB/second max) that predates recordable CD media (CD-R) availability and will most likely have issues with such media . Additionally they have known failure mode due to a relatively fragile plastic cog . matsushita cr-563-b behaviour query

My experience :

And with something both not likely designed with CD-R in mind and this old, adjustment of laser gain might be necessary if CD-R is to be readable at all (probably not good for laser longevity).

I once briefly setup and tested a makeshift CD tower running Linux (probably Slackware) and using 2x 40-pin cables (EDIT : with 4 drive connectors each), 2 MKE controllers and something like 6 or maybe even 8 CR-562-B and CR-563-B (I actually had more to be used as spares) drives (people were basically giving those drives away by then) . AFAICR, the ability to read a given CD-R disk varied greatly between drives with at least one working just fine and at least one not at all with most recognizing the CD-R but being marginal at reading it . I personally never went so far as to play with gain, simply gave up on the project and junked the drives .

Mostly summarized from : Can't find a way to connect a CR-562-B CD-ROM to via IDE connection

Reply 10 of 12, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
y2k_survivor wrote on 2021-11-13, 04:29:

This was the information I need; I managed to find someone selling these cables on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224475546704

Thanks, all!

Take care that there are 4-pin and 3-pin "Panasonic" connectors. The one you need is the 4-pin one.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 11 of 12, by y2k_survivor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2021-11-13, 05:07:

Respectfully and IMHO, unless you have some kind of nostalgia specifically related to MKE interface drives, using a CR-563B (or a CR-562B) is almost an exercise in masochism .

While I'm almost certain that our Packard Bell 486DX back in the day had an MKE drive (it was a 2x drive that came bundled with a Sound Blaster), that's not why I ended up doing this. I tried two ATAPI drives before I resorted to the CR-563B, and I erroneously concluded that my motherboard/BIOS didn't support ATAPI. I didn't realize that simply upgrading my IDE interface card to something more recent would have given me ATAPI drive support with a generic driver like oakcdrom.sys.

Reply 12 of 12, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ATAPI is a software interface. If your system supports IDE, then it supports ATAPI with the appropriate driver.
In the past I have had issues with ATAPI drives set as primary slave. You can try adding a second controller in this situation to fix the problem.

CR-563B is only quirky by modern standards. By the standards of the early 90s, it was pretty normal. Yes, SCSI was better, but most people who had CD-ROM drives during the CD-ROM boom had LMSI, Mitsumi, MKE or SLCD proprietary interface drives and they were all slow with high CPU utilization. In my opinion the MKE was probably the most common of the bunch. Now this is what I'd call quirky:

OIP-C.8AAor7C8AelH6fRRIhBNMAHaIA?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium